Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2016, 06:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Oregon
THOR #2824
Fresh water drain question for ACE owners

I have a 2016 ACE 29.4..........I think I've mentioned this issue somewhere in a post previously but can't find it.
My fresh water tank is in the bedroom on the bathroom side of the coach. It sits under a dresser drawer and there is an access panel that was custom made to be removed to allow access if you have child sized hands - but long arms to reach the valve that controls the water flow to drain the tank. It only requires a 1/4 turn for on or off. There is NO room to maneuver inside that area. To reach it, I have to remove the middle of the three dresser drawers and put about half of my body into the space for the drawer - just to reach the handle.
What I'd like to do is remove the hose connection where it comes out of the fresh water tank and either lengthen the hose or move it closer to the first panel mentioned above so I don't have to keep removing the dresser drawer every time I want to drain the tank. The hose connection goes into a hole that allows the tank to be drained outside the coach. The hole itself is filled with electrical wiring and some kind of foam material keeping it all in place. Not being able to reach it well means I can't move much of it out of the way to see what's under the foam. My arm just isn't quite long enough and I can't use both hands to do it. I don't fit in the drawer space very well.
SO, I'm wondering if other ACE owner's have had a similar issue or question, or is there a standard for how long fresh water can sit in the tank before it should be drained! I don't use the coach much and only use the fresh water when I'm traveling for the toilet, etc. I keep it about 1/3 full to eliminate the extra weight.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:16 PM   #2

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
Instead of moving the line and valve why not add an extension to the valve handle. You could connect the valve handle to a long pice of semi flexible material, a vinyl hose for example, attaching it firmly to the handle, routing it over and around the handle securing it with a hose clamp. The just locate the end of this where it is more acceptable.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Remove the valve and put a 12V valve in its place with a switch near the panel:
UEB Brass Electric Solenoid valve

Normally closed so in normal use no power to the valve. Only when you want to drain the tank you power the valve.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:02 AM   #4

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Oregon
THOR #2824
I uploaded 3 photos of what I have to work with. The opening in where the drawer would be is where I have to crawl partially in to just to get to the stuff on the floor. There is no other access and it is quite difficult to maneuver in there with just one hand. The fresh water tank is on the left of the drawer opening. In the center of the other two pictures is a chrome knob (hard to see) - if you follow the blue hose with the black plastic attachment from the tank about 6" the chrome knob is in the middle. It's currently in the "closed" position. I don't think I could attach something flexible to it and still be able to access it without having to take out the drawer. I still don't know what's under all the foam and I'm afraid to root around in there with all the wiring in the middle of it. Presumably at the end of that chrome knob is more blue hose that goes into the outside drain hole in the coach.
As for the 12v switch - good idea, I'm just afraid I won't be able to maneuver around in there to be able to install it properly. I appreciate both comments and will continue to study what's there.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fresh water 1.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	1973   Click image for larger version

Name:	fresh water 2.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1974  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fresh water 3.jpg