Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2018, 12:50 AM   #1

State: Arizona
THOR #8241
Thor Venetian Solar Ready

My Venetian came with the pictured GP connections on the roof. My information said the RV was solar ready. I called Thor and they said there should be a connector dropped down in the bay with the Inverter. I could not find anything there or anywhere else. The RV dealership Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1505.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	10054said it was just a roof prep. Either way how would I get a connection from the roof to the battery bay?

Old 05-03-2018, 06:58 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
So they are saying they terminated the wires in the bay with the inverter. Don't look for a connector but two bundled wires. In my case they used number 10 orange and black wire, as well as a white number 10 wire. From there I used the existing wiring to an MPPT solar controller. I used 24 volt panels in my install to limit the voltage drop over the number 10 wiring.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:12 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
The wiring should lead to a place where a controller would be. The controller is then wired to the batteries. It sounds like Thor expects the controller to be in the Inverter bay.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:17 AM   #4

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: California
THOR #3681
Thor stated same thing to me but I could not find the others ends. Someone on IRV stated they were by the converter not the inverter. Looked under the bed where our converter was installed and found them.
2018 Thor Challenger 37KT
gauthig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:44 AM   #5

THOR #8241
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauthig View Post
Thor stated same thing to me but I could not find the others ends. Someone on IRV stated they were by the converter not the inverter. Looked under the bed where our converter was installed and found them.

Could you post a picture of where you found them please?
Old 05-09-2018, 12:47 AM   #6

THOR #8241
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
The wiring should lead to a place where a controller would be. The controller is then wired to the batteries. It sounds like Thor expects the controller to be in the Inverter bay.

It did not come with a Solar Controller, just the roof prep and I assume the wires were dropped to somewhere. I am not too technically inclined so if you could post a picture of what I should be looking for that would help.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Most people have posted that their solar prep is wired from the roof to the area under the bed where the converter/charger is. You will need to get a solar charge controller when you buy solar panels and they usually come in kits (with the panels, controller, wiring and mounts) so you can do it yourself or have someone mount them for you.

Unfortunately, my RV did not have solar prep so we did our own wire runs and I can't post a picture of what to expect. Maybe someone else can?
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:17 PM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsjon View Post
My Venetian came with the pictured GP connections on the roof. My information said the RV was solar ready. I called Thor and they said there should be a connector dropped down in the bay with the Inverter. I could not find anything there or anywhere else. The RV dealership Attachment 10054said it was just a roof prep. Either way how would I get a connection from the roof to the battery bay?
I would suggest that in a larger coach, like yours, that the wiring from the roof will be found in the BATTERY bay, since this is where you will add your Solar Charge Controller and connect the wires to the batteries, directly. They do not go to the converter, charger, or inverter.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #9

THOR #8241
Any Venetian owners out there with an idea as to whether Thor dropped wire down from the Solar Prep on the roof? Battery bay makes the most sense but nothing there.