Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2016, 05:04 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Fuel and Water Security

There is one thing that is bothering me about our new 2017 Four Winds 22E.

Both the fuel and and water tank fillers are covered with unlockable plastic caps that are not even very securely held in place. I imagine I will be able to find a locking cap gas cap somewhere. However I am thinking the water cap may be more difficult. If someone siphons or tampers with our fuel, that is simply a monentary loss. However the water is a possible serious health concern. Any person either maliciously or thinking they are funny, could pour anything in our water tank in a second with a simple quick turn of the the cap. Both are very conspicous on the side of the body and labelled.

Has anyone one found a solution to this? All our previous RVs had the water filler in a locked compartment.

I am considering a modification to make the labelled water filler just dump on the ground with a real filler in one of the lockable compartments.

Ken

Old 07-12-2016, 10:53 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
As far as the Fuel, a trip to Auto Zone and I got a locking gas cap replacement. I am still looking for a lock for the water (I believe someone posted a thread on a lock that required cutting a hole in the side of the RV with the fill opening inset behind the locked door).

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:09 AM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Same model as you, same concerns. I will check into the locking gas cap at Auto Zone. The water is another story. If you have the U Dinette, there are two water tanks. One fills directly, the other is back filled from the first tank. That's why the slow fill. It would be possible to put a locking door through the body, but if it uses the CH751 key, it would be worthless. I'll continue to work this problem and will post any reasonable result.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:29 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
All of our campers have had that same water filler on the outside. Been camping 20 years and never had an issue with someone messing with the fresh water.

Typically, though, we bring bottled water to drink and only use the fresh water system for toilet and occasional bathing.

One option, if you can't find a locking cap, would be to simply remove the fill tube from the inside of the camper and plug the hole. Then to fill the tank you have to run the hose in through the door. That is if you have easy access to the tank from the inside.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #5

THOR #2142
On second thought I might have gotten the locking Ford Gas Cap from NAPA Auto Parts (it was a year ago, slept since then). I know it was not the Ford dealership they moved out of town three years ago and its 20 miles to the next Ford dealership.

Doc

Old 07-12-2016, 01:41 PM   #6

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I bought a gas lock for my first Vegas (in fact I bought two different kinds) and neither worked. They want on ok and locked, but when I tried to open it while it was locked, they both came right off with one twist. Unless looking at it deterred someone because it had a lock on it, it wasn't worth much. If yours really works Doc, I would be interested in the kind and number. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:46 PM   #7

THOR #2142
Oneil,

Mine works. I will go back thru my files tonight and see if I still have my receipt.

Doc

Old 07-12-2016, 01:51 PM   #8

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Oneil,

Mine works. I will go back thru my files tonight and see if I still have my receipt.

Doc
Thanks.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:57 PM   #9

THOR #2142
Oneil,

I got a long lunch and found the part. It was from NAPA, F150 Ford Locking Gas Cap, NAPA# BK 7031723, product line Balkamp. Cost $19.22 Tax included.

Doc

Old 07-12-2016, 05:05 PM   #10

THOR #4719
Quote:
Oneil,

I got a long lunch and found the part. It was from NAPA, F150 Ford Locking Gas Cap, NAPA# BK 7031723, product line Balkamp. Cost $19.22 Tax included.

Doc
Thanks a lot. That looks like the answer. it's on sale right now for $18.00
https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/s...t=BK%207031723

I going to order one.

Ken
Old 07-12-2016, 05:34 PM   #11

THOR #4719
Quote:
Oneil,

Doc
Thanks, the picture on their web site looks great. I just called the local NAPA store and they set one aside for me. It appears from their picture that it will look like it belongs there.

Now to solve the water insecurity. (I guess it's actually my insecurity about water.)

I'm going to look at RV parts web sites and see if I can find a recessed one with a door that I can cut a hole for. If it is black it should look just like it is stock.

Ken

P.S. someone commented on the common key numbers. I'm not going to worry about that. I am mainly trying to deter juvenile vandals and pranksters, rather than full blown criminals. Real crooks will just drive off with the whole motor home.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:02 PM   #12

THOR #1765
Quote:
Oneil,

Doc
Thanks Doc. I'll pick one up before I leave on our trip.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:08 PM   #13

THOR #2142
Ken,

It is a direct replacement. The retaining ring that is attached to the RV and keeps you from leaving the gas cap at the pump will "slide off" (with some effort) the existing gas cap and "slide on" the locking one.

Yeah, my concern is the pranksters. I found a print out of the lock for the water inlet that was posted many months ago. It is made by JR Products, JFE12-A Polar White Gravity Water Hatch Key Lock Camper Trailer RV from JR Products Hardware.

Cutting a hole in the RV still makes me nervous...so if you do it take pictures and let me know how it all goes.

Doc

Old 07-13-2016, 01:25 AM   #14

THOR #4719
I got the cap recommended from NAPA. They were having a little sidewalk sale and free hot dogs in front of the store. With the $10 coupon my wife won in a beanbag toss the cap came to $10. I also won a die-cast model drag racing car in a raffle there. So I guess the cap was free. It fits fine and looks good. However I have not figured out how to swap the retainer strap. It is too thick to stretch and to thick to fit in the narrower gap available in the new cap.

I'll keep you posted on developments with the water.

Ken
Old 07-13-2016, 03:57 PM   #15

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
As far as the Fuel, a trip to Auto Zone and I got a locking gas cap replacement. I am still looking for a lock for the water (I believe someone posted a thread on a lock that required cutting a hole in the side of the RV with the fill opening inset behind the locked door).

Doc
I remember that post. It was basically a replacement for that whole filler cap assembly. A reasonable afternoon project I'd guess.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:32 AM   #16

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #4119
We picked up one at Car Quest. Works great. The retainer ring and leader transferred with a little persuasion just as DocMike indicated. Kept the original just in case Murphy takes mine when I'm not watching.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:55 AM   #17

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I got the cap recommended from NAPA. They were having a little sidewalk sale and free hot dogs in front of the store. With the $10 coupon my wife won in a beanbag toss the cap came to $10. I also won a die-cast model drag racing car in a raffle there. So I guess the cap was free. It fits fine and looks good. However I have not figured out how to swap the retainer strap. It is too thick to stretch and to thick to fit in the narrower gap available in the new cap.

I'll keep you posted on developments with the water.

Ken
I had the same issue with the retaining ring/plastic cable. Finally said to heck with it. When I fill up after unlocking I put the cap in my pocket. Only 1 time did I get inside before finding I had spaced it!!!
Old 07-16-2016, 02:00 AM   #18

THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by machlin View Post
We picked up one at Car Quest. Works great. The retainer ring and leader transferred with a little persuasion just as DocMike indicated. Kept the original just in case Murphy takes mine when I'm not watching.
This is strange. The gap/slot into which the old retainer ring must fit on the new cap is much too narrow for the thickness of the ring. I wonder if there is some adjustment I am missing. The new cap is the same NAPA part number as the one Doc suggested.

Ken