Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2015, 10:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1249
Generator filter and shut-off valve addition

Read an article recently on the care and feeding of the Onan gas genny. They mentioned adding an extra filter and a shut-off valve as a precaution against having carb problems.
The reason for a shut-off valve is to run the engine until the carb is dry for storage.
I rounded up some parts and installed them yesterday. Cost was around $15 with the clamps, tubing, filter and valve. Very easy and quick installation. I started the genny, it ran ok, checked for leaks and tried out the shut-off valve which did its job. Only problem was that it was not producing any power. After taking a closer look, I had tripped the circuit breaker which is just above the gas line where it exits the enclosure. The breaker toggle looks similar to the toggle on a wall light switch and is easier to trip than a std. circuit breaker.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:37 PM   #2

Model: Palazzo
State: Texas
THOR #2072
That is a good idea! I think I will do the same.

Would you please let me know we're you got the parts and materials that you used.
Also a picture or two would be nice.

Thanks!
Dave
Old 06-21-2015, 01:23 AM   #3

THOR #1249
The parts I used were from Autozone, but I think you can get them at most hardware stores and auto parts. I think the package had a Briggs and Stratton name on it. Below is the valve link.
Fuel Shut Off Valve at AutoZone.com - Best Fuel Shut Off Valve Parts for Cars, Trucks & SUVS

You will need a 1/4" inline fuel filter (4) hose clamps and about 8-12" of 1/4" fuel hose.
I have an inline plastic filter, but think I will change it at next oil change to an inline metal filter due to the heat just to be on the safe side.
I will get a couple of pics tomorrow and post.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
The parts I used were from Autozone, but I think you can get them at most hardware stores and auto parts. I think the package had a Briggs and Stratton name on it. Below is the valve link.
Fuel Shut Off Valve at AutoZone.com - Best Fuel Shut Off Valve Parts for Cars, Trucks & SUVS

You will need a 1/4" inline fuel filter (4) hose clamps and about 8-12" of 1/4" fuel hose.
I have an inline plastic filter, but think I will change it at next oil change to an inline metal filter due to the heat just to be on the safe side.
I will get a couple of pics tomorrow and post.
That shutoff valve looks identical to the one that is on my pressure washer, which is powered by a Briggs and Stratton engine.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
One of the things I have always done for winterization is to use the appropriate amount of Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer for the size of the fuel tank. Put it in the fuel tank during the last fill up of the year and then run the engine and generator lone enough (normally 30 minutes) for the stabilizer to circulate through the system. I haven't had an issue in the 5 years I have used this procedure.

As a note, I do the same with all my power equipment during winter storage prep.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:55 PM   #6

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
One of the things I have always done for winterization is to use the appropriate amount of Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer for the size of the fuel tank. Put it in the fuel tank during the last fill up of the year and then run the engine and generator lone enough (normally 30 minutes) for the stabilizer to circulate through the system. I haven't had an issue in the 5 years I have used this procedure.

As a note, I do the same with all my power equipment during winter storage prep.
Good idea. I mainly wanted to add an easy to access additional filter before the carb and while I was in there, add the shut-off valve for a few more bucks. Below are a couple of pics which don't show much, except the pesky circuit breaker location which is easy to trip when working with the gas hose.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2786a.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	556
The filter does not show as it is below on foam padding.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2786b.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	557

Circuit breaker is circled.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:33 AM   #7

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post

I agree about the benefits of using a fuel stabilizer when storing gasoline powered equipment. But when storing the lawn mower and pressure washer here in Florida for the summer, the extreme heat tends to cause a problem even for stabilized fuel. Now in addition to adding stabilizer, I run the carburetor dry or drain the float bowl on the pressure washer.

Interesting, our two four wheel vehicles and two motorcycles, all with fuel injection, start and run fine after being stored with fuel stabilizer, and of course there is no easy way to drain the fuel lines.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:42 PM   #8

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
Anytime I anticipate not running the motor home for an extended period, I fill it with ethanol free fuel and the appropriate amount of fuel stabilizer.

The fuel cut off for the generator is a good idea.

Bruce
Old 10-31-2015, 11:53 PM   #9

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Good idea. I mainly wanted to add an easy to access additional filter before the carb and while I was in there, add the shut-off valve for a few more bucks. Below are a couple of pics which don't show much, except the pesky circuit breaker location which is easy to trip when working with the gas hose.

Attachment 556
The filter does not show as it is below on foam padding.

Attachment 557

Circuit breaker is circled.
Have you run the generator under a heavy load with the fuel shut off valve and fuel filter? What is the size of your generator? I wonder if the shut off will allow enough fuel flow for high demand situations? If your generator works well with the filter and shut off, I will do the same to mine. Thanks for posting the information.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #10

THOR #1249
IIRC, there is enough fuel flow with the valve and filter inline to run our AC with the gen. during our last trip.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:03 PM   #11

THOR #2817
Sounds good. Another project for me, thanks.
Old 09-12-2022, 12:10 AM   #12

Model: Freedom Elite
THOR #14082
Generator valve and filter

Yes, this site is worth it’s weight. These posts were written in 2015 and I am viewing them in 2022. They are still valid and good advice. I had been looking for this information and yea. and behold. Thor Fourms had it. Good deal.
Thanks for being here.
LovemyClassC............out