Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
State: Florida
THOR #15054
Was going to add an "easy" monitor for our three cameras; I'm in over my head, again!

Vegas 24.1. Want to add a full-time monitor for our rear-view and (2) side-view cameras. Bought a nice, simple 9" monitor that has four RCA female inputs and can be configured to display one to four cameras at the same time.

Right in front of our steering wheel there is a removable lid where you will find all kinds of stuff, including our video control box. You can see by the picture that the three camera leads come into the control box where it outputs only one video cable to our Axxess head unit display. The only things that (I thought) I needed were three 5-pin to RCA male adapters, one of which is shown in the picture (unattached).

Unfortunately, when I unplug the camera input from the box and plug it in to the adapter and then on to the new monitor, I get nothing. My fear is this: are the cameras picking up their 12V power from this box? And, if that's the case, have I just opened up a can of worms??? I honestly believed it was unplug three cables, plug in three adapters, attach to the new monitor, and poof! Never is, is it?

Old 08-12-2019, 07:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
I believe that would be a "yes":

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:26 PM   #3

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I believe that would be a "yes":
Soooooooooooooooo...I'm guessing I'll need to get power to all three cameras as well as the new monitor. Not scared of that but don't want to do something really stupid. I am figuring that 6-wire power cluster coming into the video control unit (top right in picture) will be sufficient power, as it was already powering all three of these cameras AND the new monitor, because I spliced into it for testing. I should be OK if I use the power and ground wires (red and white) from that cluster and splice into each camera lead and connect to those two wires. (?) Or, would that cause me other grief, in your opinion?

Thanks for the diagram and the quick feedback, by the way!

t

EDIT: Change that to not just RED and white, but each individual camera has its own power coming in to that six wire cluster, so each would have its own power (yellow, green, etc.), not a shared one. The ground would be the only one shared.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:24 PM   #4

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Go to rearviewsafety.com. they have the rca to 5 pin adapters and wiring harness for ground, power and trigger switches if you want either turn signal or reverse to come on when activated

The boxes wire harness can be cut off and everything matches the the harness rearview has. I threw my stock now in the trash after I stalling my monitor

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:27 PM   #5

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Go to rearviewsafety.com. they have the rca to 5 pin adapters and wiring harness for ground, power and trigger switches if you want either turn signal or reverse to come on when activated

The boxes wire harness can be cut off and everything matches the the harness rearview has. I threw my stock now in the trash after I stalling my monitor

Jerry
That's who I got my 5-pin to RCA adapters from. If there is a simple wiring harness to make this happen, I'd much rather do that than have to splice into two wires on three cables. What specifically am I looking for?
Old 08-12-2019, 08:28 PM   #6

THOR #3156
Probably should have read your post a little better. Some older models the stock box is rca. And many new monitors have the 5 pin. Yours is opposite.

But rearviewsafetysell all ki d to harnesses. Call them they might have what you need
FMCA # F464385
Old 08-12-2019, 09:15 PM   #7

THOR #15054
Quote:
Probably should have read your post a little better. Some older models the stock box is rca. And many new monitors have the 5 pin. Yours is opposite.

But rearviewsafetysell all ki d to harnesses. Call them they might have what you need
So, I just got off the phone with my sales rep at rearviewsafety. What a great guy! I told him what I was dealing with and he verified that I would lose power to the camera when I unplugged from the video splitter. He then asked if there was another cable that came with each adapter. When I said there was (he already knew that there was!), he said "That's your power cable. Simply attach the open ends of wire to power and ground and then plug this cable into the red lead from the adapter. All done!" So glad I don't have to cut into the video lead wires and do a hatchet job, and even happier that I already have the products that I need!

Thanks for the help!!!

t
Old 08-12-2019, 10:56 PM   #8

THOR #3156
Good to hear. I bought my monitor from them. Great company
FMCA # F464385
Old 08-12-2019, 11:45 PM   #9

THOR #15054
Quote:
Good to hear. I bought my monitor from them. Great company
Yes, I could not be more impressed. Alex Simon (my rep with them) is the best!