Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2021, 08:39 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #22407
Axis engine compartment insulation

Hi,

I have seen a few comments about owners insulating the engine compartment inside the vehicle, and thought it was a good idea, so attempted to do so. Upon removing the cover, I found 1/2" of thermal insulation on the underside already - I have a 2021 Thor Axis 25.6; perhaps they weren't doing this on older models? Or is there additional insulation I should add? Seems like it's right on top of the new Ford V8 so am hesitant to add anymore, in the event that it touches the engine... Just thought I would ask before putting it back together.

Thanks, Vic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8821.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	29742   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8820.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	29743  

Old 04-11-2021, 09:15 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
On my new Axis 2021 more sound seems to come from the road noise than from the engine underneath the doghouse. So the existing insulation seems to work and I don't see any need to add more.

Are those slight gaps around the base what is the subject of the Ford recall? Do you feel any heat down there when underway? Seems like it is a non issue to me.

David
Old 04-11-2021, 11:48 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #22407
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
On my new Axis 2021 more sound seems to come from the road noise than from the engine underneath the doghouse. So the existing insulation seems to work and I don't see any need to add more.

Are those slight gaps around the base what is the subject of the Ford recall? Do you feel any heat down there when underway? Seems like it is a non issue to me.

David
David, thanks for the response. I don't feel heat underway. I didn't realize there were recalls - is there a website where I can review?

Thanks, Vic

Tags
axis, insulation