Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2018, 01:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Hardwired my Surge Guard Yesterday

I was lucky this year, Santa brought me two awesome RV gifts!

The Surge Guard 35530 for 30am service and Progressive Dynamics 4655 converter.

I installed the Surge Guard yesterday (very easy).

What I really like about it is that it will protect the RV and my expensive electroncs from the Shore power as well as from the Generator.

I connected to the output from the Auto Transfer Switch - that way im protected from both sources.

Plus the fact that it will protect you from HI and Low voltage and protect the Air Conditioning unit since it has 128 seconds delay before it kicks in. That way if you loose power and your AC unit turn off but then power is restore shortly it will delay the restart long enough to reduce the head pressure in the AC to protect it.

I also like the fact I dont have to worry about someone stealing it at the Camp Ground from the power pole.

I will still use my cheap Surge Guard at the CG to make sure it dont have any power supply problems before I plug in my power cord. But it dont provide the level of protection that My new one offers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5222.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	14816   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5228.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	14817  

Name:	IMG_5229.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	14818   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5230 (1).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	14819  

Name:	IMG_5232.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	14820  

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:09 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
Nice job.

Hard wiring an EMS was one of my first mods. Definitely worth the cost/effort.
I went with the Progressive Industries model.

We stayed at a CG not long ago, that had electrical issues. They had surges during the night. Our EMS performed like a champ and all our appliances are still working.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:54 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Thanks,

I was worried about my lap top mostly but that would be easy to fix (well replace) in comparison to everything inside the RV.

AC unit
Microwave (Actually would like to replace this one and find a better one - lol).
Frig?
Transfer switch,
fuse panel,
converter
Inverter?
Might screw up the batteries?

Hopefully the breakers and fuses woudl protect most of the stuff but you never know.

Not to mention the fire hazard and all of the hidden fuses that you have to find in order for things to work again.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote