Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #9392
Adding a Roof Vent Fan in a vent where there is none

2017 Thor Chateau/Four Winds 22B 22FT Class C
I would like to put a high velocity vent Fans in the 2 roof vents which currently do not a have a fan.
The bathroom roof vent does have a dinky 1 speed fan. Upgrading the Bathroom is no problem because the 12 Volt power is there.
My question(s) are:
The electrical schematic shows wiring to these vents, does anybody know if the roof vents are pre-wired? Circuit 10 (see attached Schematic)

Has anybody tried to modify the 12V wiring in the roof of a Thor RV?
There is a 12V light near (30 inches) the vent which is not on a switch (push button on the light), how would I splice into it? How do these lights detach?

Is there special tools or techniques to snake wires in the RV ceilings? I assume there is a “space” between the outside roof and the inside roof? Do you have to take the inside roof off to do the wiring?
Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TEE2317-01 2017 Thor Chateau Wiring.pdf (149.7 KB, 83 views)

Old 01-12-2018, 04:17 PM   #2

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
We actually eliminated the vent in the front, replaced it with a second AC unit. Then moved the multiple speed fan and vent into the bathroom. The Gemini is relatively small, but we find the single vent more than adequate, especially since we can adjust the speed.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:21 PM   #3

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Info is for my Siesta Sprinter, your construction SHOULD be similar.
Light fixtures, my covers unsnap exposing squarehead screws to remove. My wires are run inside the tubular aluminum framing. (holes were rough and jagged, I smoothed the holes and put plastic loom on the wires to protect the insulation for all the lights.)

Roof: Not hollow- Normally solid stryrofoam with luan plywood sandwiched on top and inside under the ceiling fabric. Air Conditioning ducts are channels molded into the styrofoam. Difficult to chase wires through the roof or the metal channels. Inside ceiling is normally not removable, glued to the styrofoam. May be removable in the front cap area (above the bunk) but easy to damage in the process. flimsy.

Vents are usually prewired, at least for 12volt and often for 120. Remove the vent trim (4 screws) and the wiring should be in the vent frame. Start with the bathroom vent to see how it's done.
Hope this helps, hopefully the wiring is there.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:33 PM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I ordered our 2016 Vegas without the vent fans. Bought a 10 speed remote control MaxxAir fan and installed it myself without help. Prewires were there and the hardest part was cutting the extra plastic from the vent with a hacksaw. (I had better tools at home.) The same vent could be used for a much thicker roof, so the excess had to be hacked off.

Had expected to replace the bedroom vent with another MaxxAir, but we haven't found the second one necessary. You could run two fans out or reverse one to run one in and one out.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:21 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
I have the Four Winds 22E and found that the rear vent (over bed) was wired for 12v but I could not find any wires at the front vent. They may have been lost in the roof somewhere but I did a long search for them and could not find anything.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:33 AM   #6

Model: Daybreak 32HD
State: Texas
THOR #1427
Adding a Roof Vent Fan in a vent where there is none

Hi and I just have two questions. Is your RV still under factory warranty and or extended warranty? If so, would this not void your factory warranty and the extended warranty?
Old 01-16-2018, 12:46 AM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
My Vegas was in the first two weeks when I installed the power vent. Can't imagine why this would have any effect on the warranty, when using the prewiring that was put in by the factory.
Now, if you go changing the wiring for a A/C, that might have an impact on the warranty.