Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Has anyone installed a ShowerMi$er water saver?

I get just a little annoyed at the idea of wasting a LOT of fresh water waiting for the water in the shower or sink faucet to get hot, particularly when boondocking. Since my shower is close to the fresh water tank, I figured I'd install a ShowerMi$er recirculator valve, RV – Aqua View, Inc.. The concept is simple, divert the hot water back to the tank until it reaches temp, then turn it back to shower head. The bad news is opening the wall behind the shower to run a PEX line back. AND that doesn't help wasting water at the galley faucet. I'm looking for some feed back about that unit or an alternative.

Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:07 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I know this is probably more work than you want to do but you could always use a gallon container and a funnel. Run the shower into the container via the funnel. After the shower use the funnel in your water fill and dump the container into it.

That would be more work when you're taking a shower, but no installation work--and it would work for the sink as well.

Only cost is the container + funnel.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:11 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Leave it to old Jamiegeek to come up with some good ideas. LOL

I have seen somone on Youtube that installed something like your talking about. The upside is you will have instant hot water when you switch back - that would make for some awesome showers.

I guess it all depends on how many showers you take while boon docking to justify this mod.

But for the kitchen sink water I would use a plastic pitcher and then either use that water to flush your toliet with with later that day OR wash your hands / cook with later.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:41 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Truma has a re-circulator built right into their systems: just sayin'...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:33 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
I use it and love it! Our water heater is on the opposite side of our shower and I am sure it saves 1/2 gallon on every shower. Absolutely worth it in my opinion. We do a lot of dry camping and it saves a bit over several days. An idea you might think about is putting a thermostat on your water heater, I have mine set through trial and error at around 102*, its another big water saver. Once I use the mizer and have hot to the shower head it is easy to take a navy shower, I never have to use the cold to mix the temp since it is at a useable temp right from the tank.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:40 PM   #6

THOR #1620
As for installation, it was a challenge running the pex to the tank and I didnt have to go far. The water tank is only 3' away as the crow flies but to actually get it there I had to run it under the shower to the outside wall, make a 90* turn a little straight and another 90* to the tank. BUT once finished the perks are huge in my opinion.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:35 AM   #7

THOR #6582
Sorry Jamie, I'm tired of that one. L&WR, yep, I'll continue with that. Thanks thor293, that's what I wanted to hear. Mine won't be that bad, after I get into the side wall. The pump is just on the other side. I just relocated the pump and have a tee that I can feed into. Hmmm, maybe the bedroom gets another mirror to cover the hole, lol.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:24 PM   #8

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Sorry Jamie, I'm tired of that one. L&WR, yep, I'll continue with that. Thanks thor293, that's what I wanted to hear. Mine won't be that bad, after I get into the side wall. The pump is just on the other side. I just relocated the pump and have a tee that I can feed into. Hmmm, maybe the bedroom gets another mirror to cover the hole, lol.
So you are feeding back to the pump? Certainly no reason that wouldnt work and may be simpler. I feed mine back to the tank itself as the pump was on the opposite side of the coach and the tank was way closer.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:51 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I've seen home systems that just pump the hot water back down the cold water lines.

Like this one (Home Depot). They just send the hot water back down the cold water pipe--no need to run another line. You could put something like that under the bathroom sink.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:15 PM   #10

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I've seen home systems that just pump the hot water back down the cold water lines.

Like this one (Home Depot). They just send the hot water back down the cold water pipe--no need to run another line. You could put something like that under the bathroom sink.
Thats an interesting unit Jamie, apparently it is actually a heater, pretty pricey though and not sure how it could be adapted at the shower with ease and still prevent losing water. You have a thought on that? With the shower mizer it just routes water back to the tank free flow through the valve and has an exposed blue tube that turns white stripes to let you know the hot has arrived, then simply flipping the valve back to shower you are ready to go, no loss of water before using the shower.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:18 PM   #11

THOR #1620
I would caution one thing though, do not use the valve if connected to outside source which normally you wouldnt unless you dont have a sewer connection. If using outside water source and routing back to tank you will fill and possibly overfill the water tank. This is a handy way to refill your water tank if you are intentionally doing it but otherwise may create yourself some problems.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:17 PM   #12

THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

It works residentially because that recirculation pump is stronger than the house pressure. In the RV it's the one pump. You need to add a return line back to the tank or into the intake (vacuum) side of the pump. Our "winterizing" port is teed before the pump (to push the juice thru) and I'll interrupt that with another tee from the mi$er.
On high end homes, a 3rd pipe is run back to the heater for a full house "instant hot recirculation. There's a YouTube video , the guy's name is Kuhl, where he installs a solenoid at the galley and runs a return back to the tank. That works well when all the plumbing is on one side, but would be a bear with the galley on one side and the shower on the other.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:25 PM   #13

THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
I would caution one thing though, do not use the valve if connected to outside source which normally you wouldnt unless you dont have a sewer connection. If using outside water source and routing back to tank you will fill and possibly overfill the water tank. This is a handy way to refill your water tank if you are intentionally doing it but otherwise may create yourself some problems.
YES. I've learned (I HATE water leaks) to use my fresh tank only and turning the pump off when we leave. Drinking water is bottled. I don't mind cooking pasta or rice from the tap but I like a glass of water without extra tastes.