Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #10354
Steering stabilizer Ford E450 2017 Vegas 25.2

The Ford E450 chassis is delivered with a steering damper (shock absorber). Does it include a RTC (return to center) spring (I don't think so).

Popular upgrades are the Roadmaster RTC ($150 + $90 mount) and the Safe-T-Plus RTC ($500).

I drove my new Vegas 25.2 from Wisconsin to California (2200 miles) this last November and was hard pressed to keep it within the lane marker and the warning vibration generating slots on HWY 80. I was continually hitting the vibration slots because of my driving and the width of the rear tire system.

I am assuming the the factory stabilizer is just that and not a RTC unit at all. The Roadmaster RSSC obviously has the spring that helps the steering return to the center position and I assume that the Safe-T-Plus also has the spring located within the product. The actual shock absorber sections look to be of a similar size on both RTC units and I actually prefer seeing the very large return spring on the outside of the Roadmaster unit because they can make that spring as large as necessary to perform it's function.

Has anyone 1) experienced the improvement of the RTC products over the Ford OEM stabilizer and 2) has anyone compared the two competing RTC products?

Old 01-11-2018, 09:11 PM   #2
CSR

Model: Aria 3901
State: Minnesota
THOR #6177
Axis / Vegas Suspension Upgrades

Hi Thehobe1,

We had a 2016 Axis 25.2 previously. We added the following suspension upgrades and noticed a substantial improvement in the ride and control.
  • Rear Sway Bar (Roadmaster 1139‑147)
  • Rear Trac Bar (SuperSteer SS450)
  • Front Sumo Springs (SSF-106-40). We were unable to install Sumo Springs on the rear due to Thor’s modifications to the chassis.
  • Alignment
The service shop (a commercial truck repair shop), talked us out of installing a steering stabilizer. They suggested that we start with the items above and see if that solved the problem. They were right.

No more white knuckles! We also noticed a significant improvement driving in strong cross winds.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:11 AM   #3

State: California
THOR #10354
Thanks but that is not the question that I asked.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:41 AM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
There are many threads on here about steering stabilizers.
You are correct that the factory provided steering damper does not include 'return to center'.

You will find people that swear by them and those that question their value.
I haven't seen many comments of one vs the other (Roadmaster vs Safety Plus...) - both seem to do the job... Roadmaster tends to be less expensive.

I have not seen a case of someone with one indicating it caused them a problem (unless not properly centered during install - and that is immediately obvious.)

Use the 'search' function here and you can decide for yourself.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:55 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I went with the roadmaster because of the RTC function. It did help. One observation from wife was going to and from race track. Heading to track I was always correcting after unit sat for a week or 2. Coming home, much smoother with less correction on same route.

Either I was getting used to unit or factory damper needed exercising to work good. When I put the roadmaster damper on it was like 2nd part all the time. The factory damper did seem to have movement without damping unit I pushed plunger in and out a few times. The roadmaster did not have this.

Now over 11,000 miles later, it handles fine. Looking at front tire wear, the original crown on tire is now flat. Before adding damper I had tried 80 PSI in front tires. High pressure and relatively new tires made unit real skittish. I actually stopped and dropped 5 PSI hot of each front and it was better for that trip. I now run 76 and 78 all of the time.

I am planning on adding hellwig sway bars to dampen semi truck effects and reduce wind steer.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:00 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
We have the Roadmaster on our ACE; works great.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:22 AM   #7

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
I have used the Saf-T-Plus, and would not travel without one on my coach. In fact, I just bought a new Vegas 27.7, and the first thing I bought for it was a new Saf-T-Plus. I also use HD sway bars front and rear and Sumo-Springs front and rear.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:01 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
The Ford E450 chassis is delivered with a steering damper (shock absorber). Does it include a RTC (return to center) spring (I don't think so).

......cut....... 2) has anyone compared the two competing RTC products?
You're correct on E-450 not having a return-to-center spring. As far as I know no factory vehicle uses spring(s) to drive straight.

Someone at a different forum listed data for different RTC steering stabilizers. As I recall there was a difference in spring constants between the two you asked about; one having a stronger spring than the other. Can't recall which one was stiffer though.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:04 AM   #9

Model: Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Ontario
THOR #7822
Blue Ox

We had a Blue OX TruCenter on our gasser.
We now have it on our Tuscany. I would NEVER purchase anything else, nor would I drive without it. One finger steering in a wind storm.
It is absolutely incredible.

Cheers
Scotty
Old 02-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #10

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
Has anyone 1) experienced the improvement of the RTC products over the Ford OEM stabilizer and 2) has anyone compared the two competing RTC products?
The best mod I've made to my 25.2 is the Safe-T-Plus. It's RTC function is a big improvement over whatever Ford has on there. My RV drives great and straight. I haven't tried the other products.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:25 PM   #11

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #8054
Wow

I just drove my ACE after having the Safe-T-Plus installed and getting an alignment done. You guys were not stretching things a bit. It was like driving a car. No real effect from blowing wind, trucks, etc. Best money I've spent in a long time. If you are considering it, do it!