Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #994
HDMI Upgrade

Hi all,
I am new to this forum. I have a 2013 Thor Daybreak 34KD. I want to hookup a Blu-ray player to the 36" Jensen TV in the salon. The TV is mounted in the wall that backs to the shower in the bathroom. I want to access the back of the TV so I can access the HDMI ports. from what I can see is will have to remove the wood accent trim around the TV in order to get to some sort of release mechanism. has any one ever done this or is there a way to release the TV with out taking off the trim.

It drives me crazy that my coach has three high def TVs and they use coax and RCA to connect them.

Thanks for any help.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #2

State: Indiana
THOR #458
Hello, I have a 34F Hurricane. I'm not sure if this will work for you but I upgraded mine by fishing the wires through the wall. The way I accessed it was by removing the coax cable cover in the cabinet under the TV. Not sure if you set up this way but if you receptacle is just behind the TV the same should work. I ran the fish wire down and removed the access panel under the fridge (My heater distribution duct is there. Once again if yours is he same. It wasn't easy but I was able to run the wire down, attach a string then pull the HDMI cable to the floor. I then removed the access panel ( Held in with nails by trim pieces) on the ceiling of my slide pantry, ran a fish wire down between the bath wall and pantry to where I had the wire run from the TV. I was then able to get the wires over to the hole where the switch box is over my Fridge. Not easy but worked. Back at the TV you can change it out with a Coax/HDMI plate ( You can get any home improvement store). I then got a HDMI switcher at Radio Shack to tie an apple TV and Blueray player into. Hope this helps a little.

PS. Seeing as your daybreak is an upgrade from my Hurricane I hope what you find behind the panels does not scare you as did mine. There appears to be no care in cleanliness and organization by Thor of what you can't see. The good thing with you doing this is you can clean it up a little along the way.

Good luck and ask if you have anymore questions.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:47 AM   #3

Model: Daybreak 34bd
State: Iowa
THOR #2233
I have a 2013 Daybreak 34BD and am in the same boat with the coax cable. What I am doing right now is leaving the coax cable in place for all the TVs and running CAT6 networking cable with baluns to all the TVs. I am doing this for two reasons: First, CAT6 is cheaper than HDMI (a lot cheaper because for runs over 20ft you are going to need active HDMI cables which start around $100.00) and it is a lot easier to drill 1/4" holes than bigger holes for the HDMI ends. Secondly, leaving the coax cable allows for use of the antenna and over-the-air local TV. With having the CAT6 cable run, that will get you up to 1080P to all three TVs and I also ran an additional set to an outside compartment for setting up an outside TV (tailgating). From there, I got a standard 4x4 HDMI switch that I have our satellite dish, blueray, and the kids gaming system with room for expansion. I even got 4 different colors of CAT6 cables so getting the TVs labeled was easy. One suggestion I might also make is to spend the extra money and get a "one remote". With that you can control all the functions of all the TVs, players, satellite, etc... from one place. You don't even need line-of-sight to do it and it works well even from outside.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:47 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
I must have been living under a rock. Never heard of the Daybreak line until I looked it up. It's not sold at the Thor dealerships or RV shows I have been to, so I have never seen one. It's not even included or mentioned on the main Thor website?!

But, nice to see it exists!? It's clearly a step above the Windsport/Hurricane "entry level" models. Where does it fit in the lineup compared to the Miramar and Challenger?
Old 06-15-2015, 12:26 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
I must have been living under a rock. Never heard of the Daybreak line until I looked it up. It's not sold at the Thor dealerships or RV shows I have been to, so I have never seen one. It's not even included or mentioned on the main Thor website?!

But, nice to see it exists!? It's clearly a step above the Windsport/Hurricane "entry level" models. Where does it fit in the lineup compared to the Miramar and Challenger?
The Daybreak was a step down from the Challenger in the Damon line before Thor bought Damon. Also in the Damon lineup were the Outlaw and Tuscany.

If I am not mistaken the Daybreak was the initial culprit to the Schwintek slide issues being hit with the highest number of initial problems reported prior to Thor's purchase of the line up.

Thor kept the Challenger as the large class A, replaced the Mandalay with the Tuscany and kept the Outlaw as their toy hauler. They discontinued the Daybreak because it fit into the category of the Hurricane. The Miramar was a completely new model Thor developed to compete in the small Class A line on a 22.5 inch chassis. At the time Thor could not compete with Tiffin and Forest River in that category of coach because they had no offerings.

How can I possibly know all this? Two years of extensive research before making the jump from Class C to Class A. When I began my research efforts Damon happened to be the only Class A gas that had an outdoor kitchen as a standard item. That was in the Daybreak model line but because of the slide issues I stayed away. I made the jump when Thor released the Challenger 37ND that has the outdoor kitchen without the single full wall slide that is plagued by the Schwintek fiasco.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:42 PM   #6

Model: Daybreak 34KD
State: Idaho
THOR #696
Quote:
Originally Posted by smschecter View Post
Hi all,
I am new to this forum. I have a 2013 Thor Daybreak 34KD. I want to hookup a Blu-ray player to the 36" Jensen TV in the salon. The TV is mounted in the wall that backs to the shower in the bathroom. I want to access the back of the TV so I can access the HDMI ports. from what I can see is will have to remove the wood accent trim around the TV in order to get to some sort of release mechanism. has any one ever done this or is there a way to release the TV with out taking off the trim.

It drives me crazy that my coach has three high def TVs and they use coax and RCA to connect them.

Thanks for any help.
Hmmm. My 2012 34 KD Daybreak came with the main TV wired with both a coax and a HDMI cable. course, the other two TVs only are wired with coax, not HDMI even though they too are High def TVs. I used a wireless HDMI to feed the outside TV and it works great.