Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2019, 02:48 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
Yeah believe me, I understand quick and simple. I just rarely do it. lol. Nothing wrong with it though.

If you're just buying bulbs, HID's will be your brightest and best patterns in the stock housings. LED's will draw way less amperage but the patterns will be hit or miss, mostly miss. If you want more high beam light, just add an LED light bar or a couple single LED lights and you're set. Just decide if you want/need more spot light or more flood light and buy the right one. LED light bars can put out a TON of light fairly wide.

If you want more low beam light, that's a little harder. You can still add some LED fog or driving lights down super low like mine are at the bottom. If they're low enough you won't blind people and you can leave them on all the time. Ideal high beam light would be a giant LED light bar across the top of an RV, but the compromise is possible wind noise issues, that's why I didn't go that route on the front.

So for quick and easy, throw some HID bulbs in the low beam housings. If you put HID's in the high beam housings, realize that they're not going to put out much light until they're warmed up. So clicking back to high beams after having them on low for awhile will mean a delay in decent light until the HID bulbs get up to temp. About that time is when you have to click them back off for an oncoming car! That's why LED's are best for high beams.
Ok, thats for the info. But on my Axis the HIGH and LOW beam are in one bulb. I was thinking of HID's (seems like more people like the results vs LED's).

I wonder if someone has a HID low beam and LED high beam one package to replace HI/Low halogen bulb? I bet not but it would be intresting.

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:49 AM   #22

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Ok, thats for the info. But on my Axis the HIGH and LOW beam are in one bulb. I was thinking of HID's (seems like more people like the results vs LED's).

I wonder if someone has a HID low beam and LED high beam one package to replace HI/Low halogen bulb? I bet not but it would be intresting.
Ok I believe your rig has reflector lenses instead of projector low beams like the Vegas. That's a different story. I'm assuming they're 7 inch standard lights but I can't be sure in the pictures. Big reflector lights usually do OK with LED bulbs, I'd try them on your particular setup.

The advantage to having 7" combined high/low bulbs in one light is the low beams are better than a quad light setup. It's simply a size thing, it's hard to get light out of a smaller 4" or 5.75" low beam only lens. The downside is that high beam light output won't be a good because you can only have two 7" lenses lit instead of four 5.75" lenses.

The other option for your particular rig is putting a nice wide LED light bar in those areas below where it looks like there's some tiny little fog lights. If it's low like that and a light bar that puts out a fairly flat light, you'd be able to have it on all the time which would help a ton. Use the fog light wiring and it would be an easy mod.

So my final answer for quick and super easy... buy some good, quality LED bulbs and put them in those stock housings. You'll have better high and low beams and they'll draw less amperage and create less heat too. Next step would be adding the lower LED lights like I suggested.

BTW I'm not a big fan of HID's for a couple reasons. They put out a ton of heat. They have a pretty high amp draw at startup and most all aftermarket HID's have a pretty short lifespan. And they take time to warm up before they put out full light. There are uses where they make sense, just not too many.

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:21 AM   #23

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
Ok I believe your rig has reflector lenses ...snip...
So my final answer for quick and super easy... buy some good, quality LED bulbs and put them in those stock housings. You'll have better high and low beams and they'll draw less amperage and create less heat too. Next step would be adding the lower LED lights like I suggested...
L&WR and I have the earlier Axis/Vegas headlights. They are 5.75", high and low beam garbage. The smaller light is the turn signal. They SHOULD be one single beam each with the turn signal somewhere below. But I know squat about the current technology other than I can't a simple replacement fix. The 'net filled with all sorts of info but there's too much. I don't want to learn another specialty. I can really appreciate how lighting engineers design and spec out systems for today's vehicles. Thor's designers slapped parts in to fit "their" front end design. There was NO engineering involved.

With hundreds of options how can we determine what LED lamps are quality and which are junk? I've watched the videos and read pages and pages and I'm only more confused. I followed your earlier modifications and hoped you'd share your parts list and pointers, but apparently, your unit is a redesign. Bummer, dude. lol!
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #24

THOR #6582
Quote:
If you guys want to see a "Headlight Upgrade" I'll post pics of what I did on our Vegas when I get a chance...

-YES!!

Seriously, when I was a kid on an RV trip with my parents we saw a van conversion splayed out on it's side all over Highway 1, right on the edge of a cliff into the ocean. A big old Huey came in to take the injured away, obviously parents with kids since I saw stuffed animals in the wreckage. The CHP that was there told us the guy swerved for an small animal and lost control. Faaaaaaaaak!
Yes, please, to your write up.

My bunny story is about the new, in the 70s, big station wagon, a quarter mile ahead on a 2 lane road, suddenly swerves across the road and suddenly back and goes off into the shrubberies in a cloud. I pulled up, ran over, turned off the ignition as the driver, forehead bleeding, came to. He says, "a rabbit ran out. I'm a driving instructor and always tell my students to never swerve for an animal." He was coming back from filling the tank to take off on a family vacation. He was now going to have some front end work done instead.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:02 AM   #25

THOR #6582
Quote:
No, I got sidetracked with holidays.

Then Santa brought me the hard wired surge protector (installed last weekend - I posted about it too) and a new PD 4655 Smart Converter (Might install tomorrow?).
...snip...

I will post something once I figure it out.
We have the same 25.4. I just did my EMS too but missed your post. Not a lot of room under the bed. While there, I raise the latch relay off the floor. Likewise with the water pump and added a small accumulator. The Smart Converter sounds quite smart to.

We should try to tackle the headlights together.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:29 PM   #26

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
We have the same 25.4. I just did my EMS too but missed your post. Not a lot of room under the bed. While there, I raise the latch relay off the floor. Likewise with the water pump and added a small accumulator. The Smart Converter sounds quite smart to.

We should try to tackle the headlights together.
Ok, sounds like a plan. Im still looking for headlights as well but its not like I'm really using my RV in the winter - But I still want to figure it out.

I may add a LED light bar on the bottom part of the grill - but I figured I would update the headlights first. Then maybe brigher driving lights (thats in our bumper area from factory).

About ever other weekend I pickup my RV from the storage unit and do some mods or just tinker around while listening to the radio. Its become my "Man Cave" I guess. LOL.

Really I need to just pop out one of my headlights and write down the #s on it so I order the correct one. But I saw a posting the other day and he gave a link to the bulbs he ordered so Put that bulb in my Amazon cart. But still like to confirm the # just in case.

I dont want blueish light.... I want that bright white light for my RV (if I can). So I need to look at the color range of the bulbs as well.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 01-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #27

THOR #10907
Take some pictures of your lights and front end so I know what you have. I was looking at the later front end I guess? And if you can tell me what bulbs they use that would help too. And an idea of how far you really want to go, from simply changing bulbs to ridiculous like I did. lol. I know nobody is gonna go that far but are you comfortable with possibly opening up that fiberglass area down below and putting bigger lights in there? It's perfectly fine if not, it will help me give you ideas that make sense for YOU.

I'll help you guys get set up with some better light, don't worry!

Old 01-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #28

THOR #12231
Ok, great.

I have one picture from a year ago. Im not at my RV right now to take anymore.

I know one person posted they ordered a "HB5 9007" 6K cool white for his Axis. Should be the same bulb?

I dont want the blueish tint if I can help it (unless they are that much brighter that Im better off with them).

I like to do the headlights now and perhaps a small led light bar in the middle at the bottom part of the gill opening at a later date.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4435.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	15020  
Old 01-10-2019, 05:23 PM   #29

THOR #12231
Also I noticed the old Hurricane or ACES use to have the same headlights as my Axis a few years ago (Thor is recycling).
Old 01-10-2019, 05:28 PM   #30

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Any options to improve Vegas low beams? High beams are fine but the low beams are real weak.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:29 PM   #31

THOR #12231
This is what the other member order for his Axis. Im just waiting to hear how well it worked out for him.

HIKARI LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit-9007(HB5),2019 New Gen of HIKARI, Adjustable Beam, 9600lm 6K Cool White,2 Yr Warranty
Old 01-10-2019, 05:29 PM   #32

THOR #10907
Wait, that looks like a 5.75"? That shouldn't even be legal. If they put singles in they're almost always 7" lenses. 5.75" is the size used in older cars with quad headlights.

I see something good though, you have clear turn signal lenses with an amber bulb. Look up "Switchback" bulbs. They are LED's that switch from white to amber. That means you can run them on white as additional light during high beam use, or maybe even all the time. When you turn on the turn signal they switch from white to amber and flash.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:33 PM   #33

THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
Any options to improve Vegas low beams? High beams are fine but the low beams are real weak.
You can put LED's or HID's in the stock low beams. HID's put out a little better pattern and light output. Those projector lenses in the Vegas can handle HID bulbs just fine, they're aluminum, steel and glass inside with a plastic outer lens. You can also put LED's in the lower fog lights and have them on all the time, they won't blind anyone because they're low and have a pretty good cutoff.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:36 PM   #34

THOR #10907
Quote:
This is what the other member order for his Axis. Im just waiting to hear how well it worked out for him.

HIKARI LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit-9007(HB5),2019 New Gen of HIKARI, Adjustable Beam, 9600lm 6K Cool White,2 Yr Warranty
Those should work fine. It's the alignment of the LED's in the 9007's that's critical. They've gotten better at duplicating the pattern of halogens lately. Current draw will be less so it's actually easier on the electrical system.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:53 PM   #35

THOR #12231
Ok, thanks.

Have you ever seen anyone with an RV add a light bar braket to the front license plate holder?

I kinda like the idea of this. It would make it easy to add some LED lights to the front. The Axis / Vegas sits so low that you cant mount under the bumper (or I wouldnt want to on mine).

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5249.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	15021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5250.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	15022  

Old 01-10-2019, 05:54 PM   #36

THOR #12231
Sorry,

I havent figured out how to add direct links to amazon on the forum yet.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:18 PM   #37

THOR #10907
Quote:
Ok, thanks.

Have you ever seen anyone with an RV add a light bar braket to the front license plate holder?

I kinda like the idea of this. It would make it easy to add some LED lights to the front. The Axis / Vegas sits so low that you cant mount under the bumper (or I wouldnt want to on mine).

What do you think?
I like it! Certainly fits the quick and easy solution. I'd be hogging out those openings around the lower fog lights but like I said that's more work and can be scary for a DIY'r.

If you add a light bar to the front with an easy mount like that you will absolutely get more good light without a ton of amperage draw.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:09 PM   #38

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
OEM bulbs for my ‘17 Vegas 24.1
Low: h9
High: h9
Fog: h11

This is the best value LED ez-replacement for one or all three...
https://smile.amazon.com/H11-Headlig.../dp/B079KB7QX3
Old 01-10-2019, 07:43 PM   #39

THOR #6582
Quote:
Ok, great.

I have one picture from a year ago....

I like to do the headlights now and perhaps a small led light bar in the middle at the bottom part of the gill opening at a later date.
Thanks.

Here's the 2018 front assemby, a redesign of the 2017 but apparently the same components:

I like the switch back idea. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2019, 08:28 PM   #40

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
OEM bulbs for my ‘17 Vegas 24.1
Low: h9
High: h9
Fog: h11

This is the best value LED ez-replacement for one or all three...
https://smile.amazon.com/H11-Headlig.../dp/B079KB7QX3
Ok, thanks....I will look into that one as well.

Did you replace your bulbs with these? If so how do you like them?