Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2018, 02:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Florida
THOR #11425
Headlight improvements

I'm on hunt for some brighter headlights for my 2014 Thor Hurricane. Anybody have any experience in this?

First, I'm wondering if the headlights are done because of low voltage. Could be solved with a light relay.

Secondly, if low voltage is not the problem, then what kind of bulb upgrade could I go with?

Old 12-06-2018, 02:18 PM   #2

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Colorado
THOR #10103
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...ghlight=jusjay
Old 12-18-2018, 05:10 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Check out the link above. He went with HID's in the end.

You should be able to find LED, HID or even some brighter halogen bulbs.

Im going to look into this for my Axis as well.

I think I will pull one of the bulbs and get the model # first before I place an order. I hate returning things.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:21 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We've got HIDs in our new rig... WOW!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:31 PM   #5

THOR #12231
Bob, You have your new rig already? Awesome!

Post something about your new RV.... I dont want to hi-jack this thread.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 12-18-2018, 11:30 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:18 PM   #7

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Just so ya know on our 17 Challenger 37TB the headlights are Projector, and are sealed units, meaning you have to replace the entire assembly, you cant replace just the bulb, or lens.
Our Low Beam Lens on the passengers side is broken ( discovered it when I was putting RainX on the headlights ). I emailed Thor for replacement info, and they directed me to Total Value RV. They quoted me a price of around $90 !
Just know if you have the Projector style Headlamps you have to replace the entire assembly. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180618_135231.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	14801Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180618_135115.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	14802Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180618_135349.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	14803
Old 12-29-2018, 06:19 PM   #8

THOR #12231
Sorry to hear about your problems but I would still rather have your projetors than the old fashion halogen I have on my Axis.

Im looking to upgrade by spring to HID or LED.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:11 PM   #9

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Sorry to hear about your problems but I would still rather have your projetors than the old fashion halogen I have on my Axis.

Im looking to upgrade by spring to HID or LED.
L&WR- have you found a replacement yet? I've not received a replay to a couple of inquiries.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:27 PM   #10

THOR #12231
No, I got sidetracked with holidays.

Then Santa brought me the hard wired surge protector (installed last weekend - I posted about it too) and a new PD 4655 Smart Converter (Might install tomorrow?).

I need to take a bulb out and check the #'s on it so I get the correct one. The headlight bulbs in mine are both HI and LOW beam in one....so I want to order the correct one. I might have to go with HID's? Not sure if the ACE RV bulbs are the same as mine.

I will post something once I figure it out.

Todays I been toying with the idea of some LED mood lighting in the coach and adding more sound deading insulation under the dash (inside RV).
Old 01-05-2019, 11:32 PM   #11

THOR #11425
Hey all... I checked the voltage at the headlights. About 13 volts. So wiring is good. I also have not replaced my headlights. I know what I need but I'm concerned because they're so high up on my mh. I'm afraid if I replace them with something brighter, I'll be blinding other drivers. Anybody have any experience with any lights in particular?
Old 01-06-2019, 04:09 AM   #12

THOR #12231
Yeah, With the engine running I would think 13 would be about normal. Have you looked at LED or HID replacements yet? Or even brighter Halogen?

I would look at the #'s on the OEM bulb(S) first and do some searching on the net. Thats what Im going to do when I have time to mess with this project.

Let us know what you figure out.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:15 PM   #13

THOR #11425
I have looked at those bulbs and it seems like likely they'll be brighter. I'm just afraid I'll blind oncoming drivers.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:36 AM   #14

THOR #12231
You can always adjust them downward after your install (or after you get bright lighted 3 times in a row). Plus many of the new bulbs have a cut off point so they dont iluminate too high on the pattern.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:43 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 27.7
THOR #10907
If you guys want to see a "Headlight Upgrade" I'll post pics of what I did on our Vegas when I get a chance. It's a little bit of an "upgrade". lol. Teaser- there are 10 separate LED lights on when I put the high beams on. 4 separate lights on when low beams are on. haha.

True story though... Last night I took the Vegas out to see how the new lights worked. I have two of the high power LED's shining towards the sides of the road and they're low enough that I can keep them on even on low beams and not get flashed or blind anyone. So I'm driving in a really dark wooded area last night and just using the low beams. Off to the side of the road I see a big jackrabbit running towards the road. I slam on the brakes (nobody around or behind me) and he runs past the front of the mh about 5 feet from the front wheels.

So since my new lights already saved the life of a bunny, I'm calling those lights my "Bunny Lights". lol.

Oh and don't worry, if there were other cars around I would have run him over rather than slamming on the brakes. My rule is "If it's lower than the windshield, run it over!" Seriously, when I was a kid on an RV trip with my parents we saw a van conversion splayed out on it's side all over Highway 1, right on the edge of a cliff into the ocean. A big old Huey came in to take the injured away, obviously parents with kids since I saw stuffed animals in the wreckage. The CHP that was there told us the guy swerved for an small animal and lost control. Faaaaaaaaak!

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:50 PM   #16

THOR #10907
lol...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190108_174707.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	15012  

Old 01-09-2019, 08:19 PM   #17

THOR #12231
Thats awesome. Plenty of light.

I just want something simple for now - Like replacing the light bulbs with LED or HID. I might add some LED driving lights later (behind the grill).
Old 01-10-2019, 12:28 AM   #18

THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Thats awesome. Plenty of light.

I just want something simple for now - Like replacing the light bulbs with LED or HID. I might add some LED driving lights later (behind the grill).
Yeah believe me, I understand quick and simple. I just rarely do it. lol. Nothing wrong with it though.

If you're just buying bulbs, HID's will be your brightest and best patterns in the stock housings. LED's will draw way less amperage but the patterns will be hit or miss, mostly miss. If you want more high beam light, just add an LED light bar or a couple single LED lights and you're set. Just decide if you want/need more spot light or more flood light and buy the right one. LED light bars can put out a TON of light fairly wide.

If you want more low beam light, that's a little harder. You can still add some LED fog or driving lights down super low like mine are at the bottom. If they're low enough you won't blind people and you can leave them on all the time. Ideal high beam light would be a giant LED light bar across the top of an RV, but the compromise is possible wind noise issues, that's why I didn't go that route on the front.

So for quick and easy, throw some HID bulbs in the low beam housings. If you put HID's in the high beam housings, realize that they're not going to put out much light until they're warmed up. So clicking back to high beams after having them on low for awhile will mean a delay in decent light until the HID bulbs get up to temp. About that time is when you have to click them back off for an oncoming car! That's why LED's are best for high beams.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:53 AM   #19
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Need to be careful when adding additional lights to the front of the coach; many states limit the number of illuminated lights to 4, and also require that any lights used on the road be DOT approved. Just a FYI as most of us travel through multiple states.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:14 AM   #20

THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Need to be careful when adding additional lights to the front of the coach; many states limit the number of illuminated lights to 4, and also require that any lights used on the road be DOT approved. Just a FYI as most of us travel through multiple states.
It's also illegal to replace those stock bulbs with anything other than the designated bulbs. That means no LED's and no HID's, which is kinda the whole point of this thread.

Yes of course you're right and I realize that. There are actually laws about how much wattage can be on at any one time. (I had a brake and lamp license years ago when it was a thing.) But there's an entire industry built on doing things that are technically illegal to cars and trucks and millions of people do things like this. I'm not your average car modder either, this has been my profession for 4 decades. I know how to put together a set of headlights that is not only brighter, but actually shines LESS light into oncoming traffic on low beams. The average joe that throws LED's or HID's in his stock housings is taking way more chances with safety than I am. And the wattage of my low beams is actually LESS than that of the stock halogen bulbs and way less than HID's would be. My "main" low and high beams are actually DOT approved lights. Anything beyond that is on a separate switch.

And if a cop is such an @ss that he would give me a ticket for putting better lights on my RV that had candles for lights stock, so be it. I'd gladly pay that ticket.