Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2016, 09:46 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
Look guys the problem is this: a heat blocking film that is clear for windshields that works while driving in hot arid regions. One the CHP is not going to stop and write for.

There are several manufacturers but the consensus in this area is that the best most durable product in this market segment are the clear 3M Chrystallne films which do remarkably well for a clear film.

They are expensive, they a harder to install, require a 3M Certified Dealer, they cost more to install and they do not purple with age. Tints go from clear to dark.

AMEN

Old 05-20-2016, 11:38 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
Reflecting is one method but there are other methods of dealing with heat energy such as chemical reactions and adsorption.
From my perspective, on a practical basis there will be a combination of three things that will happen. Solar energy can pass through film, be absorbed at film, or be reflected by film. While solar energy can theoretically cause a chemical reaction, or can be partially converted to electricity, I don't see how that's going to apply here on a steady-state basis.

The more energy is reflected towards outside of vehicle, the cooler the inside should stay. Partial absorption at film will become heat which will warm glass enough to then transfer the heat to inside and outside air (a combination depending on relative temperatures and heat transfer rates). The worst case scenario is energy passing through glass and film, and being absorbed by surfaces inside motorhome. In that case nearly 100% of solar energy will have to be removed by air conditioner.

I'd like to learn if I'm missing how this film works. As stated before, up to 60 percent total rejection (upper limit reported by 3M) is pretty good. If I was going to keep my van for a couple of years, I'd try the film on a side window to test it. Reducing solar heat by +/- 50% would be great.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:09 AM   #23

THOR #3186
Remember the company we are talking about is 3M. One major major chemical reaction of sunlight is photosynthesis, others are oxidation etc.

Films for double pains do not create heat and some do not reflect. The chemistry of these films I'm sure is patented so look it up. I do know that it has something to do with them producing a red color when water hits them. You can wet the film I have and it looks pink, wet the darkest tint film and it turns red. The older 3M films were thick, the crystalline is not.

Other companies produce clear films but just not as good so I imagine the patent or the technology is searchable.

This is the best source I found on the chemistry:
http://www.detailingdynamics.com/page/window_tinting
Old 05-21-2016, 02:23 AM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Guys,

Looks like choosing a product to reduce heat into the RV is a bit more complicated than I thought...with a lot of advanced applied physics thrown in.

For now - reflection (keep energy out and cool in) works for me, down the road possible source of energy (solar power) or thru photosynthesis (and the old Kreb Cycle) would be a nice bonus. Put all that together and with advancement in 3D printing we are getting closer to the replicator in Star Trek.

But back to here and now, I'm just looking at the best way to help keep heat out of the RV...so back to reviewing what can be found on the Web and asking questions.

Thanks for your inputs.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:13 AM   #25

THOR #3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Guys,

Looks like choosing a product to reduce heat into the RV is a bit more complicated than I thought...with a lot of advanced applied physics thrown in.

For now - reflection (keep energy out and cool in) works for me, down the road possible source of energy (solar power) or thru photosynthesis (and the old Kreb Cycle) would be a nice bonus. Put all that together and with advancement in 3D printing we are getting closer to the replicator in Star Trek.

But back to here and now, I'm just looking at the best way to help keep heat out of the RV...so back to reviewing what can be found on the Web and asking questions.

Doc
Reflection just heats something else up in its path. The Krebs Cycle is metabolism the opposite of photosynthesis more similar to rust not to be too technical. This Chemistry looks like it's nanotechnology which 3M is very good at. I took Colloidal P Chem the last year they offered it, hmmm (nanotechnology).

There were a lot of things they thought they had all locked up when I left school but on my first day of work the basis of what I learned in Microbiology and Pathogenics was flat out wrong. The more I worked in trouble shooting the more I learned that the engineer never looked or asked for the original or correct data.

The more I look at medicine, a necessity now, the more I understand that Doctors don't always understand how to evaluate and interpret the data from the tests they order.

Oh so much to do and I'm out of time, children grandchildren time now.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:57 AM   #26

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #4312
3M Crystalline is a good product (I'm a 3M dealer) some other good products are Llumar Air 80 or Suntek Cxp 70/80 both will block 43 & 44% I just picked up my Rv today so will decide which product I will use whenever we slow down enough to do it. I will most likely use the Llumar Air 80 since the w/s looks approx 50" in height
Lance

Be a blessing to someone
Classictint is offline   Reply With Quote