Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 35M
State: Florida
THOR #13171
Help with Replaceing the Axerra AVM70 Radio with Kenwood 595???

I would like to replace the Axxera AVM 70 radio in our new 2018 Windsport 35M. We want a better stereo with voice dial BT and a CD player. Someone suggested a Kenwood Excelon ddx 595. They seem to be affordable and better quality then the Axerra. Here is where I need help. Will this Kenwood when using the rear camera during towing revert back to the rear camera after using the turn signals with out me manually turning the rear camera on again? The Axerra had this problem but I was able to correct it with a firmware update. Also the Axerra powers a USB charger and HDMI jack on the dash. Don't care about the HDMI but would like to keep the USB charging jack if possible. Our goal is to have a in dash CD player. Also can I use the existing wiring for the Kenwood? I would greatly appreciate any information / advice.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:10 PM   #2

Model: 2016 Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #1929
I replaced my Axxera with a Kenwood Excelon 595. The rear camera still worked and the existing USB still worked. I do not have the side cameras. When backing up camera automatically comes on. When driving down the road with rear camera on you can still control the volume for the Radio. Very happy with the radio. I even have backup guidelines now on my rear camera. They were able to use the existing wire harness. I have a Ford E450
Old 10-12-2018, 02:00 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
The Model of Axxera radio has only one camera input, thus Thor used a 3 camera multiplexer box. The new radio you get will more than likely also have only a single, thus you could re-use the box.

The USB port you are talking about plugs into the Axxera radio in the back through the use of a USB extension cable. You could plug this also into the new radio, if it comes rear USB equipped. On the Axxera the rear USB port is power only. On the new radio, the port may also include data.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #4

THOR #1929
The USB on the Kenwood is used for updating the radio and playing music downloaded on the USB drive.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:20 PM   #5

THOR #13171
thanks for the info. I was referring to the usb dash charge port that is fed from the rear of the Axxera.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:39 PM   #6

THOR #1929
Yes. That was the USB PORT they used. The one that was connected to the Axxera. Once they got the dash off it took them 20 minutes to have everything working. It was like plug and play.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #7

THOR #13171
Thank you for the info. I'm still wondering if there is a different firmware required to get it to default back to the rear camera after using the turn signals / side cameras. The OEM Axerra required a firmware update to work properly even with the switch. I also tried a Dual stereo which is almost identical to the Axerra AVM70 and it would not default back to the rear camera either. Dual did not have a firmware update to fix it so I took it back to the store and here I am back at the drawing board lol
Old 10-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
I did not apply the firmware update on my radio, as the date on my firmware was later than the date on their update. Before they released the firmware update, I solved the problem of it not going back to the rear camera, by cutting the orange trigger wire in the back of the radio. This also solved the problem of it muting the sound when the turn signals were used. The orange wire is the reverse positive wire, thus if I go in reverse, you have to manually select the rear camera. This is not normally an issue as I normally always have it set on rear camera.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #9

THOR #13171
Peterrrr thanks for the info. I'm beginning to think cutting the orange wire is my only option for upgrading units. None of the other radios seem to be programed this way.

Tags
axerra avm70, cdplayer, kenwood ddx595, windsport 35m