Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2016, 10:36 PM   #1

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Driving problems

I've decided to go with safe t or helwig anti sway bars front and rear but not both. Any recommendations?

Old 03-01-2016, 11:43 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
I vote for the Safe-T-Plus, it has done wonders for our Vegas 24.1.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:18 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
I'd be very curious what the results from your alignment were?
Are you running correct air pressures for your weight?
My first recommendation is a "good" alignment tailored for a motorhome. Caster 5.5-6'ish and .1 or a bit more toe each side. If your alignment is near those specs and still have handling issues to address ... think and consider what behavior you are experiencing. My guess is tail wag vs. sway and a trac-bar can fix that motion.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:34 AM   #4

THOR #3471
Had alignment done at large ford truck shop front and rear. Was way out in front less in back. Pressures are correct according to cab numbers. Wind gust of 15 mph on freeway in fl moved us around. Trucks passing moves us. This may be normal but I don't think so.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:02 AM   #5

State: Florida
THOR #3454
I just bought a Thor Miramar 34.2 a month ago and it is all over the road with a little wind or a truck passing. I'm thinking of the safe-t-plus steering stabilizer and a trac bar on the back. if needed then I will up grade sway bars. I am amazed that they actually sell these units with out at least a steering stabilizer. I feel that it is unsafe to drive. I also live in south florida and cant even imagine what it would be like driving in the mountains. Now if someone could figure out whats wrong with my slide maybe I could get it back on the road.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:18 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I just bought a Thor Miramar 34.2 a month ago and it is all over the road with a little wind or a truck passing. I'm thinking of the safe-t-plus steering stabilizer and a trac bar on the back. if needed then I will up grade sway bars. I am amazed that they actually sell these units with out at least a steering stabilizer. I feel that it is unsafe to drive. I also live in south florida and cant even imagine what it would be like driving in the mountains. Now if someone could figure out whats wrong with my slide maybe I could get it back on the road.
You didn't say if your coach is new, but regardless, reread TyCreek's comments, #2 above. Get a good alignment before throwing money at add-ons. JoSams in Orlando has a great reputation, and did a fine job on my Vegas.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:23 AM   #7

THOR #3454
Yes , it is new. thanks for the info. I go to Orlando a lot.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:37 AM   #8

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
I had a front end alignment and then had the safe-t-plus installed on my Miramar 33.5. Make sure you load your coach up with all of your goodies before the alignment. Then I had the safe-t-plus installed. Made a world of difference in handling!!

I had a 34.2 previously, take a look at the rear factory sway bar. I had the head of one of the bolts break off and the bracket bent, allowing the sway bar to move around. It was covered under the chassis warranty by Ford. According to the Ford service center, they were not sure if it was a bad batch of bolts or if they were over-torqued during installation. According to Ford, if the bolts fail, it will happen in the first 1800-2000 miles. If the bolts make it past 2,000 miles, they are good.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #9

THOR #3454
Thanks for the info, I will keep an eye on that rear sway bar.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #10

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
I had an alignment then later added the Safe-T-Plus to my Axis. It does not pull to right anymore and steers straight. I feel the big rigs and wind gusts but I don't track off with them like I use too. Just the side to side motion (rocking). $180 for the alignment at local truck tire place and had Camping World do the S-T-P install.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:54 PM   #11

THOR #3471
How much did cw charge for safe t plus
Old 03-02-2016, 05:54 PM   #12

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I have the RoadMaster Anti-sway bars on the rear. During a recent trip I got caught in a heavy side wind with semi-trucks all around me. The rear-only installation kept my RV drivable and I only felt a buffeting from the semis.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:09 PM   #13

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
I put front and rear trac bars on the coach, the polymer super springs up front, alignment front and rear and we are very happy.