Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #1

State: California
THOR #8228
5 Star Tuning Kit for Ford 6.8 v10. Any one have or tried one?

I've been reading some pretty good reviews about this tuner for the V10 6.x engines. Has anyone dropped the bucks and how'd it go? Made by 5 Star.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:39 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I had one on my F-350. Certainly felt like it had more giddy up and go. MPG actually decreased a little as the truck was a bit more fun to drive. It did help a lot pulling our 5er at the time.

There are a couple of owners on here with 5-Star tunes on their RVs...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:04 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm watching this one closely: the 5-Star tuner has been "on my radar", for about a Month...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:42 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Our 2015 Challenger has a 5 speed transmission. Screaming shifts on hills or even small humps on expressways. Also, not very peppy on on-ramps. So we purchased the 5 Star Tune. Boogity Boogity.

Nice changes. I can set the cruise at about 67 and let the cruise do it's thing - small humps are no longer a problem. Going up a steep grade, we can kick off the cruise, hit the throttle to force shift out of OD and climb steadily up the hill. Then re-engage cruise via Res.

While the Challenger V10 will never be confused with a sports car, it is much peppier than previously. 5 Star has optimized the power bands and shift points. Nice job.

Even better I've contacted 5 Star and told them about something in the shifting that wasn't working for me. Chris (5 Star POC) responded quickly and asked for more details. Chris quickly turned around the new tune. Bingo Bango Bongo.

A final note, I wanted and thought that I might see an improvement in mileage. Many of you know, I've quit tracking MPG. Cannot do much about except go slower. Problem is the power band drives much better at 67 mph.

Note: I purchased the 5 Star Tune originally for a Forest River Georgetown. It just wasn't seeming to help. 5 Star quickly refunded my full purchase without reservation. Terrific customer service.

Lots of info here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/5-sta...uy-353909.html
Old 10-12-2017, 11:06 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Have the tune on our Windsport 29M and love it. Better acceleration and much better shifting. Highly recommend the tune!
Old 10-13-2017, 01:46 AM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #6162
I've read alot about the help it does for the 5 spd trans, how about with the 6 spd? I really haven't seen a need, but always filing stuff away, just in case..
Old 10-13-2017, 01:54 AM   #7

THOR #5196
I have the 6 speed and the tune made a positive improvement in the shifting, much quicker and more positive, less hunting.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:58 AM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #6162
[emoji1303] Thanks Dave!
Old 10-13-2017, 03:18 AM   #9

Model: Hurticane 34J
State: Massachusetts
THOR #1987
Love my 5 Star tuner. Great acceleration, cruise control works much better. But the best improvement by far is the shifting, no more screaming engine 5th to 3rd gear downshifts on every little hill, you can only feel the toque converter unlock, if the you still need more power it will shift down to 4th, and then very rarely shift to 3rd. You can actually hold a conversation and listen to the radio. I rank the 5 Star right up there with the CHF, and safety t plus as a must do mod. Well worth the money. Also search and join the 5 Star group buy on IRV2, 5 Star is very active on that site and every few months they do a group buy for a great price. That’s how I got mine.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:13 AM   #10

Model: 29.3
State: Washington
THOR #6025
I guess I might be the only one so far that is not impressed with the flash. I have a 2017 F53 chassis V10 3V 6 speed transmission. Engine performance was no better than without the flash. Shifting was not any better, in fact a little worse because it wants to up shift when I let up on the throttle. When accelerating onto the freeway I had to manually shift so it wouldn't up shift and just not accelerate properly. In the tow mode it is a little better but not by much. It now has the engine check light coming on about every 250 miles. I bought a OBD reader and it was telling me every thing was going wrong. From gas cap being off to the cat having a fault. I would reset the codes and in 250 miles it would all come back. I've had emails in with no response what so ever. I would like my money back but who knows...
What I have seen is anyone that has a 2016 or older, this flash works really well, but I think Ford (despite the modest HP and torque numbers) has brought the engine to it's max. I have no problem getting our 18,000 class A up a 18% grade or getting onto the freeway in stock form. Even with a 4000 trailer/tow car. The only thing I miss is it removes the speed limiter. At this point I would say save your money if you have a 2016 or newer F53 chassis. Just saying....
Old 10-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor29.3inAZ View Post
I guess I might be the only one so far that is not impressed with the flash. I have a 2017 F53 chassis V10 3V 6 speed transmission. Engine performance was no better than without the flash. Shifting was not any better, in fact a little worse because it wants to up shift when I let up on the throttle. When accelerating onto the freeway I had to manually shift so it wouldn't up shift and just not accelerate properly. In the tow mode it is a little better but not by much. It now has the engine check light coming on about every 250 miles. I bought a OBD reader and it was telling me every thing was going wrong. From gas cap being off to the cat having a fault. I would reset the codes and in 250 miles it would all come back. I've had emails in with no response what so ever. I would like my money back but who knows...
What I have seen is anyone that has a 2016 or older, this flash works really well, but I think Ford (despite the modest HP and torque numbers) has brought the engine to it's max. I have no problem getting our 18,000 class A up a 18% grade or getting onto the freeway in stock form. Even with a 4000 trailer/tow car. The only thing I miss is it removes the speed limiter. At this point I would say save your money if you have a 2016 or newer F53 chassis. Just saying....
Have you called them with your concerns? I wouldn't give up until I spoke with someone directly you may find that they either fix the issues or refund your money.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:42 AM   #12

State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
2x Jamie. When I contacted 5 Star with the issues, I had a new tune within a few hours. Also, here is a link to a form that helps you pinpoint where you want the help. For us, the whole point is to maximize shift points and power bands. Specifically in Cruise Control mode for normal highway driving and to add as much pep as possible for on-ramps under heavy acceleration.

Tune Adjustment Form - 5 Star Tuning
Old 10-13-2017, 10:56 AM   #13

THOR #5196
Thor29, I have a 2017 on a 2016 chassis with the 6 speed and saw an improvement with the tune. After driving for a while I asked 5Star to make a couple of adjustments which they did, got my new tune in a couple of hours. I would call and discuss your concerns with them, nice people and very willing to help.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I sure am feeling pretty good about what I've been reading; Thanks!

Question: After more digging around on the website: I haven't been able to find one for a 2018 6.8 V-10 in a Class C motorhome...

Do you think that a call to them would get me what I need?
Old 10-13-2017, 06:33 PM   #15

THOR #5196
Call, they are super nice. I don’t imagine there is much difference from 2017 to 2018 but 5Star can tell you for sure.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #16

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I think I'd call Ford also to ask what that's going to do to the vehicle warranty, a tad bit more power wouldn't be worth voiding the warranty.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:47 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Call, they are super nice. I don’t imagine there is much difference from 2017 to 2018 but 5Star can tell you for sure.
The new transmission in my 2018 is my chief concern...
Old 10-13-2017, 06:59 PM   #18

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I sure am feeling pretty good about what I've been reading; Thanks!

Question: After more digging around on the website: I haven't been able to find one for a 2018 6.8 V-10 in a Class C motorhome...

Do you think that a call to them would get me what I need?
Also take a look at your door jam sticker. You may have a Ford chassis that was produced in 2017.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:13 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It is; but it has the six-speed...
Old 10-13-2017, 07:14 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
I put one on my F-150 with an economy tune and one for towing. I did notice the difference, but decided not to put one on the RV because of warranty concerns. Probably a bit paranoid on my part. You can always revert to stock when taking it into the dealer. Takes less than ten minutes. My concern was if the motor would not run and I had to take it in, it would still have the tune in it and Ford could pull the not my fault excuse. Although, I believe some Ford dealers sell the 5 Star tunes and Ford isn't Thor either.

I loved dealing with 5 Star, you can pick the parameters for the tune like drive style, fuel used, trans shift points etc.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote