Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2019, 03:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Home Made Aux Adjustable Step

Well I am not sure if a home made adjustable aux step has been posted before (probably has), or if there is value in it for others, but we have an older Scottish Terrier with very short legs who needs more of a landing to step up onto and off of than the small OEM single electric step on our 2013 ACE. I have to admit that the DW and I also like the aux step addition and since I am too cheap to buy a commercial step and had some wood scraps around the shop, I threw this adjustable step together in a few hours. The only purchases were four hockey pucks for the feet (typical Canuck) and some carriage bolts with flat washers and nuts and four longer coupling nuts. Probably $20 total cost if that. Some pictures attached to show build basics, but I am sure there are lots of better alternative build approaches out there.
We find this adjustable aux step can be used in both level sites (match height of coach step for a more stable step area for us and the dog) or in non level sites where the leveled coach step is well above the ground height. We can adjust all four legs on the aux step to become the first step to help get up to the actual coach step. Otherwise, in some non level sites, that first step off in the morning can feel like a step off into the Grand Canyon or climbing Everest going the other way depending on how much Bailey’s Irish went into the morning coffee. I built it to fit behind the passenger chair (between chair and stairs) in our ACE 30.1 when traveling, but it is easily stowable in a cubby also with feet adjusted all the way in. Of course the coupling nuts and length of carriage bolts/legs are a compromise to retain as much leg stability and adjustability as possible when extended.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustable Step with ACE step.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	20330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom View.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	20331  

Name:	Adjustable Foot coupling nut retaining plate .jpg
Views:	86
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	20332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coupling Nut on Carriage Bolt.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	20333  

Old 09-18-2019, 04:19 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1568823582
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gunny 02.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	20334  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:19 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I readly like your step.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #4

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Thanks for the feedback guys.......I suppose if you build one using non-pressure treated wood you could easily remove the hardware and burn the step in the camp fire if you run out of wood or find it is not very useful. (one 4x4 leg on mine is actually cedar....not preferred, but I used what scraps I had in the junk pile).