Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2015, 02:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
House Battery(s) Voltmeter

Rather than pushing a button to see the relative state of charge of the house batteries, I installed a digital voltmeter in the wall above the electronic information panel.

I purchased the voltmeter at Amazon.com (Amazon.com: Red Light Digital Voltmeter DC0-100V LED Panel Voltage Meter: Electronics)
$2.49 with free shipping

• Remove the control panel from the wall and let it hang on the wires.
  • Cut a rectangular hole the exact size of the voltmeter face in the wall paneling.
  • Using "Goop" glue the ears of the voltmeter to the back side of the wall paneling.
  • Using a multimeter or 12-volt test light, locate a source of 12-volts at two of the wires in the control panel.
  • Tap into the wires with the + and - wires on the voltmeter (polarity is important or you will ruin the voltmeter), solder, tape, and apply liquid tape to the taps.
  • Replace the control panel.
  • Now whenever the coach power is turned on I can read the voltage from the doorway, kitchen, hall, or bedroom.

I also made a cigarette lighter voltmeter from one of the digital voltmeters and leave it plugged into the dash 12-volt power outlet.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:43 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
I purchased a green three inch LED. Reads house battery voltage. Also a cigarette lighter voltmeter with two USB ports to charge phones, that reads volts and air temp, in Celsius and is powered by the solar panel. The green LED is always on.The LED meter reads .12v lower then what my hand held voltage meter reads. So it's close but not dead accurate. I like to keep tabs on the batteries as well.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:20 PM   #3

THOR #2817
sikoriko,
Depending on the hand-held meter type, it's probably more accurate that the LED volt meter you bought. But if it reads the house battery voltage, you are getting a lot better information from it that the four red LEDs on the panel.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:34 PM   #4

THOR #1490

Here is my set up. I have a hand held fluke meter I use to compare against the LED's. So it's close for me. And I get a better picture to what is going on with the batteries.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:24 PM   #5

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikoriko View Post
Here is my set up. I have a hand held fluke meter I use to compare against the LED's. So it's close for me. And I get a better picture to what is going on with the batteries.
Once it is determined what "normal" voltage is, the meters can be used to tell whether or not there is a problem with the battery. You meter looks like it's a good one; much more refined than mine.

I looked through some of your Photobucket photos and noticed that you have an antenna on your ladder. Is that a CB antenna? I have been trying to figure out where to mount a ham radio antenna, which is about the same size as your antenna. I would use the ladder, but it's such a long way to run coax to the cab. A friend mounted a through-the-glass antenna on his windshield and he says it works well.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:43 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #937
I didn't cut any holes or permanently install anything. When I get the urge to know what the voltage is, I plug in this digital meter.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:36 PM   #7

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
I didn't cut any holes or permanently install anything. When I get the urge to know what the voltage is, I plug in this digital meter.
I have one plugged into the 12-volt power outlet on the dash. Do you plug your voltmeter into a power outlet on the 12-volt house battery circuit? If so, which outlet are you using?
Old 12-01-2015, 02:33 PM   #8

THOR #1490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Once it is determined what "normal" voltage is, the meters can be used to tell whether or not there is a problem with the battery. You meter looks like it's a good one; much more refined than mine.

I looked through some of your Photobucket photos and noticed that you have an antenna on your ladder. Is that a CB antenna? I have been trying to figure out where to mount a ham radio antenna, which is about the same size as your antenna. I would use the ladder, but it's such a long way to run coax to the cab. A friend mounted a through-the-glass antenna on his windshield and he says it works well.
Antenna is a CB radio. I ran a 25 foot RF cable under the coach and found a hole in the fire wall under the steering column. I just using the meter for myself not to let the batteries go under the 12.42 V or 80%. thats just for me.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:52 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
All,

I have a 12V meter for the dash, but where on a Vegas can you check the 12 house batteries? I've been thinking of running a plug-in like the dash somewhere in the back bedroom for 12V operations and/or use of a small inverter I purchased.

Has anyone added a 12V plug addition on a Vegas? If so, how much headache and is it a DIY project?

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:14 PM   #10

THOR #1490
I just wired it to the source. batteries, and the smaller meter with USB ports are wired to the solar panel. once the panel has no power the smaller meter goes off.