Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
How do you do water filtration?

Looking through lots of old posts, I see people mentioning water filters here and there, but not much detail.

For those with an Axis/Vegas or other coaches that don't have a built in water filter, how, if at all, are you doing water filtration?

Old 07-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Looking through lots of old posts, I see people mentioning water filters here and there, but not much detail.

For those with an Axis/Vegas or other coaches that don't have a built in water filter, how, if at all, are you doing water filtration?
I use the simple route - a Camco canister filter installed just outside the RV... a 90 degree elbow coming out of the city water connection lets the filter hang straight down and connect to the incoming hose.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Tas...ilter/14504321

There are more elaborate/expensive external solutions - but keeping it simple works for me.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:

I just used an inline filter right at the side of the coach. Was a simple thing like this one Camco water filter (Amazon).

LOL seems like gmc and I have the same idea.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:36 PM   #4

THOR #8012
If you are part timing and only going out say a weekend or two a month, or sometimes having 4-6 weeks between trips, any issue using the same filter? I've seen those mentioned as good for a year, but also know that there is some danger in water filters that sit, as the downstream (chlorine removed) part can start to grow stuff.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:47 PM   #5
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
If you are part timing and only going out say a weekend or two a month, or sometimes having 4-6 weeks between trips, any issue using the same filter? I've seen those mentioned as good for a year, but also know that there is some danger in water filters that sit, as the downstream (chlorine removed) part can start to grow stuff.
Any filter or water system can have that issue...
I make sure there is no water trapped in the filter when storing... and connect the filter to the input line first and flush water thru it before connecting to the RV.

We had been using the rig part time (once or twice a month) over summer - and full time for at least 3 months over winter. I typically replaced just before the long stretch.

Haven't had any issues...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 07-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #6

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Any filter or water system can have that issue...
I make sure there is no water trapped in the filter when storing... and connect the filter to the input line first and flush water thru it before connecting to the RV.

We had been using the rig part time (once or twice a month) over summer - and full time for at least 3 months over winter. I typically replaced just before the long stretch.

Haven't had any issues...
Do you use your tank (or camp water supply) for drinking/cooking or just bathing/cleaning pots and stuff? I know some people seem to only drink/cook with bottled water.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:05 PM   #7
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Do you use your tank (or camp water supply) for drinking/cooking or just bathing/cleaning pots and stuff? I know some people seem to only drink/cook with bottled water.
I use it for everything...
DW will cook with it - make coffee/tea, etc... but drinks bottled water (even at home) - so nothing we do different with the RV.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 07-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #8

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
On our two previous RV's (Montana fivers) we did not have built in whole house filters. Even when full time we simply bought and used the blue cheap ones sold at Walmart. I would use it for 3 or 4 months and then change it out. We generally use bottled water for drinking, making coffee, or cooking. While traveling around the country it is hard for me to trust a bunch of different public and private water systems that I know nothing about.

46 years ago the Army said the water was safe for me and my buddies to drink and so far I've watched while my BIL, a cousin, and close friend died of cancers caused by that safe water.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:33 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I use a whole house filter with a 5 micron carbon filter, does not cut down on water flow at all. Got the filter assembly at Lowes, the stand and 4 foot hose with two 90 degree elbows from Amazon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2110.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	5660
Old 07-10-2017, 04:59 PM   #10

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
We use a Cameo in line blue water filter and a softner for cooking and cleaning. We also use a Britta system for drinking water.

KC
Old 07-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #11

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
my rv has a little cup strainer on the suction side of the pump. That's all i have.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:11 PM   #12

Model: 31e Four Winds
State: Delaware
THOR #7159
We buy the in-line filters, go through about two a year. Bottled water for cooking and drinking. Filter is mainly to keep junk out. Had a well act up at a campground last year sending all sorts of gunk in the line.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #13

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Water Filtration

I replicated what I had in my prior coach. We installed a separate filtered water faucet right next to the sink, with the filter mounted in the cabinet below the sink. We use that filtered water for drinking and cooking. I have had a whole coach filter in the past, a high end ceramic one. It needed to be cleaned regularly. After seeing the stuff that lives inside it between cleanings, I jettisoned the whole coach filter and just use the inside filter and I change it often. Just like the filter on your house icemaker. I only filter the water I need to filter, and the kids have no problem using the drinking water faucet. You can buy the install kit for a filtered faucet online, and the install took all of 20 minutes (if you have all the tools and parts you need before you get started). We have been operating this way for over 8 years and no problems yet.