Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2015, 08:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Colorado
THOR #1497
Dash Cam?

Anyone using one? Is it facing forward only or have you added cameras to capture side and rear views?

We purchased a Tuscany XTE (36mq) last year and I'm a tad paranoid when driving it down the road. I'm a careful driver in the RV but worry about others causing an accident involving me. It seems as though cameras (and recordings) are a way to protect yourself in the event of an accident....or prove you are the guilty one!

Any recommendations on brands, setup, etc?

Thanks,

Old 12-31-2015, 09:30 PM   #2

Model: Class C / Chateau 31L
State: Iowa
THOR #1763
We have one in our front but thinking about getting one for the rear. I figure if you are in a different state than your own and it it's a situation of my word vs a local, well it would be good to have proof.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:44 PM   #3

State: North Carolina
THOR #2992
Dash Cam

I have a Garmin dash cam up front. Ya never know these days.
UP 4306
Old 01-01-2016, 12:16 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
I don't have one but after reading this post I might look into getting one. Not only for the RV but there are a lot of times out on the highway I would like to have one just so I can prove that what I saw is really what I saw.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:12 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
ebay some really cheap ones
Old 01-01-2016, 04:37 PM   #6

Model: Axis
State: Michigan
THOR #2614
We purchased a garmin, mainly because you can take it off the dash and take photos with it. A bit more expensive than some but it seems to do a really good job. Recently bought 2 32 gig. SD cards from Costco so I can save more travel photos with the dashcam
Old 01-01-2016, 05:55 PM   #7

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Sounds like a good idea to me especially due to recent experience in heavy traffic in HOV lane. Was driving the speed limit and angry driver behind found an opening to get around me, cut right in front of me and hit the brakes, flipped a bird and continued to work himself into a fit continually hitting the brakes and making hand signals. Dash cam is on my list for the next item to add.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:44 PM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #1052
I use my I phone 6 as a dashcam with iOnRoad software which you can purchase from the Apple App Store. I believe the software is under 10 bucks and the video quality is excellant. It also provides you with real time speed information as well as distance to the vehicle in front of you and alerts you if your following too closely based on your speed or if you veer from your lane inadvertantly. I also noticed it will chirp if you approach a pedestrian or motorcyle. The con to this setup is while recording you cannot have full view of your maps ie: Google Maps. You can still receive voice commands and pop ups for turns but not the full map while recording via iOnRoad.

A suggestion might be to load the software on a retired phone and use it exclusively for recording leaving your phone for navigating and testing or calls when you are stopped . Just a thought allows you to use what you already have instead of purchasing another device...

D
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File_000.png
Views:	143
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	1209  
Old 01-01-2016, 08:48 PM   #9

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RS3
State: Illinois
THOR #2847
I'm seriously looking at this model... One TOP RATED Dash Cam.
LUKAS LK-7900 ARA 16GB + GPS: Full HD (1080 p @ 30 fps) Dash Cam Video DVR GPS Recorder Black Box
by LUKAS

Price: $239.00
Sale: $229.00 & FREE 2nd Day Priority Shipping

• ▣ LK-7900 ACE's Upgraded Version, Support OBD II, Forget about the other footages, Here new concept dash cam comes! LK-7900 ARA works in -20C (-4F) to 80C (176F) degree without any trouble, it comes with leading edge technology.
• ▣ DDR (Drive Data Recorder). Current vehicle speed, mileage, battery, accelerator, foot brake, steering wheel angle, gear level & position, date and time, etc. 16GB memory card, available up to 256GB, 8 language voice guidance support!
Old 01-01-2016, 11:52 PM   #10

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Colorado
THOR #1497
Thanks for the replies. Some interesting ideas posted.

I really like the forward facing dashcam that MAVERICK mentions, but I also want side mounted that record what is happening alongside the coach.

I poked around the internet after asking the question, I conducted some research....

There are some very nice systems out there if you don't mind spending upwards or in excess of $1,000 for a full recording system with multiple cameras. http://www.dieselboss.com/camera_main.htm

Unfortunately, I'm somewhat "frugal" (cheap maybe?) and not real keen on drilling holes in the exterior of the coach to install the cameras and run the cables.

I found a couple of sites that has a pretty good rundown on types of cameras and available features. http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/ and https://dashcamtalk.com/

One of the neat features I found is “Park”. This feature is movement activated and will start recording when the vehicle is parked. I really like the idea of passive security system to record what’s happening around the coach when we are not there. This site explains the various features available as well touching upon the quality of the various cameras. http://www.blackboxmycar.com/pages/dashcam-buyers-guide

As I researched, I came to the conclusion it would be nice if the manufacturers would include video recording as an option when buying. Which took me off in another direction!

My coach has cameras built into the side mirrors (VMAX III from Velvac), these cameras are activated when the turn signal is the activated and displayed on the radio screen. I wonder if I could upgrade the cameras, rewire so that they continuously record to secondary device and active the radio screen when the turn signal is used?

More research to conduct….at which point in several weeks I’ll become frustrated and go with Maverick’s recommendation.

Maybe I should just save myself the time and aggravation now.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:01 PM   #11

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Oregon
THOR #4145
I bought a dash mini cam for use in my 2015 RAM 1500 while towing a travel trailer. I have since traded in the travel trailer for a MH (2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2), and now I swap it into the MH when the RAM is the toadie. The dash cam is a SplahETech Mini 0806 which I bought via Amazon for $125. I bought an extra base and wiring kit for $17 to enable me to move it easily from one vehicle to the other. The camera plugs and unplugs from the bases with little effort. Like everyone else posting here, I felt I needed visual proof in case something "crazy" happens in front of me on the road.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:27 PM   #12

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #1183
Dash cam with motion activation - turn around and record service tech activity in your rig while it is in for service.

Dash cam recording could be worthwhile in recording other accidents. In fact could be worth $ when lawyers get involved.

Also useful to save segments of your most beautiful driving adventures. We have saved numerous memorable events on the road.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #13

Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
Question dwain---if i only have 1 phone think I could use my Ipad for the app....and have it in the cab or does it need cell phone connection not Bluetooth to phone?
Old 06-05-2016, 11:40 AM   #14

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RS3
State: Illinois
THOR #2847
Well I made up my mind and bought the "FineVu CR-2000 Omega". I love it... Front and rear HD cameras. Auto shut-off if battery reaches a chosen voltage level. Always on, recording possible accidents. Alarms while driving if and when there is a lane change or if you drift. I would recommend this to anyone that is serious about getting a Dash Camera.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:22 PM   #15

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #1183
Forgot 1 item

Most dash cams come with voice recorder. You need to check your state laws regarding recording. Texas for example says its OK if one party knows conversation being recorded. CA I believe has law that says a notice must be posted. Or if possible in the system setup - disable the voice recorder.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:08 PM   #16

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Most dash cams come with voice recorder. You need to check your state laws regarding recording. Texas for example says its OK if one party knows conversation being recorded. CA I believe has law that says a notice must be posted. Or if possible in the system setup - disable the voice recorder.
CA issue on recording.... there is nothing requiring posting to record voice but if you don't advise the person ahead of time, it cannot be used in any court...