Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2016, 07:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
How to get an AC unit on top of the motorhome

I updated my Thor 30.1 with an AC in the bedroom. I picked up the unit and pondered how I was going to get it on top. Came up with this.
Pulled it up very easily by myself. Installed and ready to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	2195  

Old 06-06-2016, 08:37 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Nice!

I watched an owner, (who didn't want to pay for installation), take delivery of a new A/C unit at the dealer's parts department with his motorhome, (the old McMahon's in Westminster, CA).

They used a forklift to put the entire shipping box on the roof of the motorhome. The guy centered it on the roof and tied it down with rope through open windows for the ride home.

Your way looks much more sensible.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Care to elaborate? Could you tell us a few more details? I'm curious and I'm sure others are too since adding a second AC comes up often.

Which model, size, etc. did you go with? And how did you power it? Do you have 30-Amp or 50-Amp?
Old 06-06-2016, 11:56 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Utah
THOR #2562
I'm curious how your running the 120v up to power the unit. I have an ace 30.2 and would like to do the same thing.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:45 AM   #5

THOR #3952
I bought a Coleman Mach 3 Plus 13.5 with the inside control cover plate from Camping World. $661 out the door with extra 2 year warranty.(total 4)
I snaked a number 10 wire down the same duct the Fantastic fan and light wire was in to the closet. Ran the wire down the back inside corner out the bottom in the compartment where my dump valves are. I have enough wire I can plug the AC unit in by itself at the campsite.
I have a 30 amp service now. I could upgrade to 50 I suppose but I only have a 4000 Onan so it will not run both anyway.
I mostly installed it as a backup.
The great thing is it pushes air straight down the center of the coach so I could just run the fan with the main AC to help circulate the air.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Utah
THOR #2562
Nice work! Thanks for the info.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:20 PM   #7

THOR #2121
Agree .... great work on a nice project. Thanks for information.

By the way, your rigging to get AC on roof by yourself was very clever and resourceful. I'm often a do-it-yourselfer also and appreciate the lengths one has to go to when help or normal equipment (like a forklift or hoist) isn't available. I may have to borrow this idea some day -- particularly like the track you built into skid.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:42 PM   #8

THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Agree .... great work on a nice project. Thanks for information.

By the way, your rigging to get AC on roof by yourself was very clever and resourceful. I'm often a do-it-yourselfer also and appreciate the lengths one has to go to when help or normal equipment (like a forklift or hoist) isn't available. I may have to borrow this idea some day -- particularly like the track you built into skid.
The wooden skid was what the unit was shipped on. Just happened the 2 strips fit outside the ladder rails perfectly. I just strapped the unit to the wooden frame. Even 2 guys on step ladders would be hard to do.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:08 PM   #9

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
The wooden skid was what the unit was shipped on. Just happened the 2 strips fit outside the ladder rails perfectly. I just strapped the unit to the wooden frame. Even 2 guys on step ladders would be hard to do.
That was lucky to have built-in guides.

Yeah, when lifting heavy stuff onto the roof of a motorhome 10+ feet in the air, step ladders concern me a little. I know an air conditioner isn't that heavy, but it would be easy to lose control of it. Your approach seems much better to me.