Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2017, 02:37 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
I want to run power into cargo compartments of ACE 30.3 -- ideas?

So, I would like to get 110v power into the three 30.3 compartments with plumbing, so that I can put a small heater, light or Davis air dryer to generate enough heat to keep them above freezing.

It looks like the outlet in the outdoor kitchen is a GFCI, so I can probably take off the access panels in the bedroom and get to the back of that outlet, tap into that run, but not sure how to get the wire into the compartment below the hot water heater, where the grey and black are located drilling through the floor would risk hitting the tanks.

Any thoughts on how to get 110v power to the compartment with the fresh water, and then the pass through that has dump station on one end the other end of the black/grey on the other?

Old 11-02-2017, 12:12 AM   #2

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
Power thru heat ducts?

Just a shot in the dark, but your plumbing basement areas are heated. Can you snake insulated wire through the furnace ductwork?
Old 11-02-2017, 07:33 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
I am not sure about your ACE but on my Hurricane I have power under the dinette seat just in front of the wet bay. I ran 10 awg wire for the 12V need to run the flojet pump, but I have 110V in the same compartment. Find your fuse box and look behind it.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:52 PM   #4

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
I am not sure about your ACE but on my Hurricane I have power under the dinette seat just in front of the wet bay. I ran 10 awg wire for the 12V need to run the flojet pump, but I have 110V in the same compartment. Find your fuse box and look behind it.
Mines under my bed, which I think is partially over the two compartments and passthrough with the black and grey tank. I'm not sure how easy it will be to drill into that compartment and not hit the tanks, unless there is already a chase leading down that they didn't foam.

I'll pull the mattress out and get a better look then when I've been ducked under it.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:18 AM   #5

Model: ACE EVO 30.3
State: Florida
THOR #6059
Compartment heat

On my ACE 30.3 the wet bay and tank compartments are heated. When the furnace runs there is heat ducted to those specific compartments so things don’t freeze. We were camping for a week in Northern Florida in January last year when the temps dropped to the mid 20’s for two nights. I went out late the first night to check on the wet bay and tank areas and a blast of very warm air came out of each compartment. No worries for any freezing pipes during that chilly trip.
If your looking to heat them during storage then you could tap into the electric outlet gfi in the kitchen or the outdoor kitchen.

Steven B
2017 ACE 30.3
South Florida
Old 11-04-2017, 03:11 AM   #6

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenb2560 View Post
On my ACE 30.3 the wet bay and tank compartments are heated. When the furnace runs there is heat ducted to those specific compartments so things don’t freeze. We were camping for a week in Northern Florida in January last year when the temps dropped to the mid 20’s for two nights. I went out late the first night to check on the wet bay and tank areas and a blast of very warm air came out of each compartment. No worries for any freezing pipes during that chilly trip.
If your looking to heat them during storage then you could tap into the electric outlet gfi in the kitchen or the outdoor kitchen.

Steven B
2017 ACE 30.3
South Florida
I used furnace heat last weekend when we dipped into the upper 20's, but I want to put some electric heat down there as well. That way if I'm short on propane, on a longer trip, need to say park it somewhere when it's cold for a few days (can run heat down below and ceramic heaters above).

Not to mention, if I'm at a camp ground I can stay warm with the 50 amp connection and not burn the high priced propane.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:05 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Georgia
THOR #8645
My 2016 Thor Miramar hs a single heat duct in the 2 bays with water....not too good. When the temps got below 20 , it was pretty worthless. The duct near the water storage added about 6 degrees of buffer. But, there was not enough heat going into the bay to heat up the water pump, etc. I tested infrared bulbs and they heated up the basement dry well. I forgot to mention I used a couple of these to regulate the Infrared bulbs: Farm Innovators TC-3 Cold Weather Thermo Cube Thermostatically Controlled Outlet - On at 35-Degrees/Off at 45-Degrees . I would like to run power in the basement as well. - GFCI type of course. How much heat should I expect in the basement via the heat ducts?
Old 05-18-2018, 11:22 PM   #8

THOR #4735
I installed a simple cable hatch and now use it to run an extension cord from the wet bay outside to a plug in on the shore power pole. No additional wiring needed, and it doesn't pull from the RVs own breaker panel.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:38 PM   #9

THOR #8645
I ran a cord from the outside plug on the RV. I actually placed 2 separate C-3 Cold Weather Thermo Cubes to manage 3 infrared bulbs in 2 separate bays, 1 by water pump, 1 on shower side, and 1 on sewage side. Could run to external pole as well. But, I was thinking it would be good to be able to use RV generator if the power went out, etc. I've learned to be prepared for system failures. I have a heat buddy ( gas ), ceramic heaters, just in case the furnace goes on the blink.... If I put receptacles in bays, I could just plug infrared bulbs in with Thermo cubes and be done with it. The temp in North Georgia gets in the low teens often. Love RVing in North GA in fall and winter.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:40 PM   #10

THOR #8645
Best solution would be for the RV heater to put out enough heat in the water bays so you do not have to worry about it in the first place....Kind of annoyed about the single duct in the bay.....what's up with that?