Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2018, 03:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29D
State: Florida
THOR #5756
Installation of brake controller

Has anybody here ever installed a brake controller in a Hurricane that was build between 2000 and 2003?

I bought a Roadmaster tow dolly with electric brakes, and have now to install a brake controller into my Hurricane. Any help and advise with this task is very welcome!

Old 02-09-2018, 12:45 AM   #2

Model: ACE 30.1
State: New York
THOR #10579
So I noticed that nobody has replied to you yet. I have not installed a brake controller in a Hurricane. I have installed brake controllers in several other vehicles. Most vehicles have a connector up under the dash near the steering column. There also should have been a matching pigtail connector that came with the motorhome, it is usually included inside a plastic bag in the documentation pouch. You will use this pigtail connector to wire in the controller.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:54 AM   #3

THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnschnit View Post
So I noticed that nobody has replied to you yet. I have not installed a brake controller in a Hurricane. I have installed brake controllers in several other vehicles. Most vehicles have a connector up under the dash near the steering column. There also should have been a matching pigtail connector that came with the motorhome, it is usually included inside a plastic bag in the documentation pouch. You will use this pigtail connector to wire in the controller.
I bought this motorhome in 2004 used, and I have not seen (or cannot remember that I did) any pigtail. But I think one can buy those pigtails from Etrailer, etc.
My thing is to find the connector (if there is one). It seems that newer motorhomes can have the top of the dash removed, this is not possible in mine, I have to crawl underneath it, winding around the seat. I also wonder how much wiring underneath the motorhome is done to get the wires to the back.
That is the reason that I hoped somebody here would have done it already.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:54 PM   #4

THOR #10579
Do you have a round connector for the trailer lights at the rear of the coach by the hitch? If you do the chances are pretty good that you have been wired up. What chassis is your coach on? The connector under the dash is part of the chassis, so if your on the Ford F53 chassis it is usually tied up close to the steering column. Unfortunately I can't help much more than that.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #5

THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnschnit View Post
Do you have a round connector for the trailer lights at the rear of the coach by the hitch? If you do the chances are pretty good that you have been wired up. What chassis is your coach on? The connector under the dash is part of the chassis, so if your on the Ford F53 chassis it is usually tied up close to the steering column. Unfortunately I can't help much more than that.
Thanks, I have a the Ford F53, and I have to crawl under the dash to find the connector (getting under there is not that difficult, but when you are 74, it is difficult to get out and up again!).
I have only a flat 4 pin connector in the back, which would mean that I have to pull at least one more wire to there, because the dolly has a round 7 blade flat connector.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:58 PM   #6

THOR #10579
So I did a google search on 2001 F53 wiring diagram and came up with several hits. This is a link to an append in the IRV2 forum where he says that the blue wire for the brake controller was tied up on the left chassis rail at the rear of the gas tank.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/2001-...ng-256577.html
I know the feeling about not being able to get up. 64 with two two shoulder surgeries. Sucks getting old.