Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2019, 02:52 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom elite 30fe
State: South Carolina
THOR #14612
Installed 6v batteries in freedom elite class C under steps

We had only one 12 V battery came from factory in our 2017 towards freedom elite 30 fe. The battery was under the steps. I could have gone with 2 12 V batteries to make my life simple. Instead I chose to go with 2 6 V batteries in series. It was a challenge to fit them Under the steps. Did some modifications and made it work. I Installed Duracell deep cycle batteries from batteries plus for less than $250. My amperage hours now 470. As they are deep cycle I think I can still get to 220 out of them at 50%.

Old 12-05-2019, 01:07 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
I believe your amp hours are about 235 or half of your stated 470. You put two 6v 235 amp hour batteries in series to get 12v. What you get is 235 amp hrs at 12v. The upside is that you can drain them down 50% and get them back up hundreds of times, unlike the so called 12v Deep Cycle Marine batteries which will crap out in a short time with that kind of abuse.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:59 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
What modifications did you have to make; in order for them to fit?
(Did you take any pictures?)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:21 PM   #4

THOR #14612
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
I believe your amp hours are about 235 or half of your stated 470. You put two 6v 235 amp hour batteries in series to get 12v. What you get is 235 amp hrs at 12v. The upside is that you can drain them down 50% and get them back up hundreds of times, unlike the so called 12v Deep Cycle Marine batteries which will crap out in a short time with that kind of abuse.
Not sure if I’m correct. I have 2 6 V golf cart batteries with 235 amp each battery. When I put them in series that makes 12 volt system with total of 470 amps. All Deep cycle batteries cannot be drained all the way. And mine is deep cycle so I was guessing to get 235 amp hours out of them before draining them all the way. And if I had to 12 V batteries that will give me close to 200 amp hours. So if I don’t want to drain them all the way I should be able to get at least half of the amp hours before draining them Now It will be a complete different story if I have a Agms or lithium batteries as you can drain them lower and they charge faster. That I will do on my next battery change. Hopefully I should get couple years with what I got.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:47 PM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Reread my post. You have a total of 235 amp hours available at 12v, not 470. Of the 235, you can take them to 50% of that, roughly. You made a wise choice with the golf cart batteries over the 12v "Marine Deep Cycle" batteries. You have increased you capacity more than double that of a single 12v battery, and the golf carts are made to take severe discharges and bounce back.

Oh, while you are at it, keep a close eye on your water levels in the batteries. The golf carts tend to be thirsty.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:54 AM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I would also be interested in seeing those modifications... I'm planning on doing the same! Seems like height is the issue ☹️
Old 05-08-2020, 03:54 AM   #7

THOR #14612
First remove the step cover.
Took good quality 1x2 pieces of wood and make frame of same size opening of step. I screwed that frame on all three sides. I also added piece of hard plastic that cover all the screws to avoid any shortening if some wire ever come loose. That have me enough height and room for all wires. Then placed the step cover back. The carpet that covers the front side was tall enough to cover extra height. Of course it will make one step little higher but not noticeable for us. My wife did not even notice any difference till today. We have been on trips after doing this, no problem. Still holding good. You can also use some glue along with screws. I will try to post picture. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:11 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
We have a 2018 Freedom Elite 30FE and would like to do the same mod as yours. My biggest concern is weight. How much additional weight are the two 6v golf cart batteries over the one 12v battery?
Our 30FE, fully loaded for a trip is close to some of the axel weight limits already.
Thanks
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:01 PM   #9

THOR #14612
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
We have a 2018 Freedom Elite 30FE and would like to do the same mod as yours. My biggest concern is weight. How much additional weight are the two 6v golf cart batteries over the one 12v battery?
Our 30FE, fully loaded for a trip is close to some of the axel weight limits already.
Thanks
We also have same coach as yours but its 2017. Golf cart batteries are almost 65lbs each. when we bought coach it came with only one size 27 battery. your are right about the weight. its big concern for class c rv specially with 32 feet length and two big slides. This is my favorite floor plan because we have kids. I did good amount of upgrades. like
2ND AC
2000 WATT PURE SINE INVERTER
GOLF CART BATTERIES
BIGFOOT LEVELING SYSTEM ( TWO WEEKS BEFORE)

These updates added weight. I am right on edge myself. Our coach had only 2000 lbs to spare before upgrades. I added half tank of water, full tank of gas, full propane tank, Me and my wife, some every day stuff like groceries and took to scale. I was at 13900 total. But still have my kids weight to add. luckily they are little. Around 200 lbs total. But there will we few more things to add that will bring me to 14500. luckily i have flat tow behind. so no weight there. it will be minimum. we can store some stuff in car. i want to do solar next but not sure about weight.
Happy camping.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:08 PM   #10

THOR #14612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorfreedom View Post
We also have same coach as yours but its 2017. Golf cart batteries are almost 65lbs each. when we bought coach it came with only one size 27 battery. your are right about the weight. its big concern for class c rv specially with 32 feet length and two big slides. This is my favorite floor plan because we have kids. I did good amount of upgrades. like
2ND AC
2000 WATT PURE SINE INVERTER
GOLF CART BATTERIES
BIGFOOT LEVELING SYSTEM ( TWO WEEKS BEFORE)

These updates added weight. I am right on edge myself. Our coach had only 2000 lbs to spare before upgrades. I added half tank of water, full tank of gas, full propane tank, Me and my wife, some every day stuff like groceries and took to scale. I was at 13900 total. But still have my kids weight to add. luckily they are little. Around 200 lbs total. But there will we few more things to add that will bring me to 14500. luckily i have flat tow behind. so no weight there. it will be minimum. we can store some stuff in car. i want to do solar next but not sure about weight.
Happy camping.
I wanted to ask you if you upgraded suspension like sway bars , springs or steering stabilizer, spare wheel. if you did, did it helped and how much more weight you think it will add more.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:38 PM   #11

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
Quote:
I wanted to ask you if you upgraded suspension like sway bars , springs or steering stabilizer, spare wheel. if you did, did it helped and how much more weight you think it will add more.
I replaced front and rear sway bars, and steering stabilizer with Roadmaster parts and added Sumo spring helpers to the front. The purpose of these mods was to improve ride and handling. They did add weight. I haven’t weighed my coach since I added those.
I plan on doing a weigh on our first outing of the year which is planned for early June.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:14 PM   #12

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
The weight gain from heavy duty sway bars, steering stabilizer and Sumo Springs is negligible. The improvement in ride quality and handling is priceless.