Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2018, 12:31 AM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Ok, I called Big Foot myself today and asked a few question. Here some info that might help someone looking to this kit:

The cyinders are 18 inches long on the E450 kit. They extend out 13 inches total.

Recommended to mount 7 inches min and 9 inches maximum from the bottom of jacks (fully retracted) to the ground. BF like the 7 inch mark that way you get 6 inches of lift (7 + 6 = 13 fully extended).

Platinum kit takes 135 oz of ATF Dexron 3 tranny fuid to fill. Perhaps more to bleed correctly?

The front brackets are bolt on. Looks ike it only uses two hole predrilled in Ford frame to mount (that what it looks like from the directions he sent me - will investigate more). Dont sound like enough to me - I might drill one or two more for safety.

But the bottom of the front brackets rest on the bottom of the Ford frame (For support) and they kick out the jacks about two inches from the frame (4 bolts connect jack to bracket). So that should add stability when deployed since your stance will be about 4 inches wider vs bolted to frame only.

All hardware on the BOLT ON KIT are "grade 8" nuts and bolts.

Back brackets sound like they can be bolted to the inside or outside but you have to drill your own holes (4 holes per bracket).

Expect one week for shipping.

Power wire is 10 foot long 4 gauge.

Ground wire is connected to frame next to pump (might have to drill hold if you don't see a suitable spot).

Can mount pretty much anywhere under the RV as long as it up out of the way and mounted securely. They like to mount on DS behind Drivers seat (Under RV) on the frame.

I plan on ordering this week. Big purchase like this I like to think about it for a while and make sure I understand what all is involved before I pull the trigger. Plus I checked other kits on the market.... this one looks like the best one IMO (and the cheapest). Plus it uses hydrolic power to lift jacks up instead of springs like the other kits.

Now that its getting cooler outside it will be a good time to install myself.

I hope this helps some other folks make up thier minds.

They just sent me the installations instructions so I can see the brackets other details.

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #62

Model: vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #12326
The only thing that you will not be able to do from what I just read above is mounting rear jacks on outside of frat because the generator is in the way. Install was easier than expected. One thing I’m going to change is to install a momentary push switch next to the panel for the ignition wire safety. I like how buzzer will sound if jacks down when engine on but I hate fact that have to turn engine off to operate. So this will allow me to turn engine on with jacks down and push button to retract or extend keeping safety feature
Old 09-11-2018, 03:27 PM   #63

THOR #12231
Ok, thanks. I was going to look at the Genny this weekend. Mine is the 27 footer so perhaps I have more room. My Genny is in the very rear of the RV. I think outter frame location will give you more stability ....But inboard locaton is fine.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 09-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #64

THOR #12231
I just pulled the trigger. Big foot said my kit will mail FRI (tomorrow) - Hope to see it by MON or TUE and install next weekend. I will take some pic's and post after I recuperate from working so hard. LOL.

Im excited - this will really change the way we setup camp and make it more confortable at the trail heads for my wife.

Have you found any "snap pads" that fit the feet of this system?
Old 09-13-2018, 04:24 PM   #65

THOR #12326
Congrats. Get r done
Old 09-13-2018, 05:38 PM   #66

State: Maine
THOR #13083
Hello everyone,
Just wanted to ad my quick 2 cents . . . I have been using the big foot system now for about a year on our 30FE and have had excellent results! I have had to manufacture four
6" P.T. pads that we carry with us because I have run out of ram travel at some campgrounds where I have had the front wheels off the ground a considerable distance to achieve "level". The Quadra manufacturing "Big Foot System " has done it's job every time. Long and Winding Road, I think you will be pleased with the results when you are done!
Old 09-13-2018, 05:52 PM   #67

THOR #12231
Great, Good to hear. Im looking forward to installing and using the system.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:09 AM   #68

Model: Axis 25.4
State: Tennessee
THOR #12170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I just pulled the trigger. Big foot said my kit will mail FRI (tomorrow) - Hope to see it by MON or TUE and install next weekend. I will take some pic's and post after I recuperate from working so hard. LOL.

Im excited - this will really change the way we setup camp and make it more confortable at the trail heads for my wife.

Have you found any "snap pads" that fit the feet of this system?
You ordered the Platinum kit?
Old 09-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #69

THOR #12231
Yes, Platinum with the "bolt on kit".
Old 09-23-2018, 03:22 AM   #70

THOR #12231
I received my Big Foot late FRI and did some prep work today.

It took about 2 hours just to sort parts and clean/paint the brackets (along with two trips to HD for some extra bolts and washer and paint).

Spent another hour figuring out how it will bolt up exactly and with which bracket (has extras in kit).

Hope to bolt it up cylinders tomorrow and finish next weekend.

Here are few pics and I weighed all of the parts individually.

Cylinder = 17 # Each (22.5# each with feet bolted on)
Small brackets = 31.5 total (Did not use these - for Sprinter or for weld on only)
Large Brackets = 36.5 # total.
Pump = 28.5 #
Bolts and rear brace = 11.5 #
Wires and hydraulic hoses = 12.5

Aprox Total = 179 # (WOW!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5061.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	13014   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5067.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	13015  

Name:	IMG_5068.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	13016   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5066.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	13017  

Name:	IMG_5065.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	13018   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5072.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	13019  

Old 09-23-2018, 03:29 AM   #71

THOR #12231
The front brackets kick out they cylinders about 3 or 4 inches to widen the stance. See pick below.

I think the bolt on kit is worth it since front bracket and very heavy duty.

Im going to add two more bolts to each side on the front kit (BF said it only requires TWO bolts per a side on the front! - not enough for me - but one of the bolts is a 3/4 inch grade 8 which are rated in excess of 30,000 # each).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5063.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	13020  
Old 09-24-2018, 03:24 AM   #72

THOR #12326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
The front brackets kick out they cylinders about 3 or 4 inches to widen the stance. See pick below.

I think the bolt on kit is worth it since front bracket and very heavy duty.

Im going to add two more bolts to each side on the front kit (BF said it only requires TWO bolts per a side on the front! - not enough for me - but one of the bolts is a 3/4 inch grade 8 which are rated in excess of 30,000 # each).
so how ya doing winding?
Old 09-24-2018, 02:20 PM   #73

THOR #12231
I doing Terrible,

The drill bits I had were for general purpose - Broke two of them and wore out 6 others to drill TWO HOLES the back frame - Took me 5 hours!!!

I had one step bit - that seemed to do pretty good but was shot by the end of one hole.

The problem is the mounting location had the Moreride frame extention bolted to the rear of the E450 frame right where I need to install the Big Foot brackets. So i have to drill though two frames - each about 1/4 inch thick! SO im cutting into 1/2 think steel! And it not soft metal.

So I went to HD yesterday and purchased 10 diff drill bits (plus two step bits). Most for are Hard Metal. I burned up 6 of them but was able to do one hole in a hour or so but the 4th one is a bugger.

Once I get a pilot hole drilled and can use my other 2 or 3 other drill bits to step it up the the 1/2 diameter that I need. The key is the pilot hole.

HD didnt have any cobalt bits so I will order some this week on Amazon. I also saw some double edged high dollar ones that I will orders as well.

I think the problem I had at first was I was drilling at too high of a speed and using WD 40. I will get some cutting oil and use my electic drill that has a limiting screw on the trigger next weekend.

So hopfully I can drill the rest next SAT and then bolt on the cylinders SUN.

I have a feeling it will be the following weekend before I can do the wiring and pumbing.

Any tips?

I might call some local shops - looks like some have moble crews for big rigs/ buses/RV's. Maybe they can drill them in a hour and just charge me the hourly rate? Might be worth it? By the time I purchase $100 + of more bits (spent $100 yesterday) I might come out ahead.

Or have it welded on?

If I had a good shop I trusted I would bring mine in - but Im stubborn that way. I feel like its something I can (or should) do myself. Plus if it needs repair down the road I will know what to do.

I cannot believe stupid holes are holding me up!
Old 09-24-2018, 02:31 PM   #74

THOR #12326
I am the same way. Since I personally installed it all, I know where to look if something where to fail and need repair. I used my Milwaukee 12v battery shorts angle drill and worked great with a cobalt bit. I bought 2 bits and used just one using wd40. it must be the speed of the drill you used. I did do a 1/8" pilot hole first then a cobalt stubby. with the drill I used it only took like 30 sec for pilot and prob 2 min to drill each hole. I found the stubby cobalt by googling and found a local machine shop supply house.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:37 PM   #75

THOR #12231
OMG..... Yeah I think I need to use my electic drill at a lower speed + some cutting lube. I think Cobalt is the key to this job.... I wish my HD had some on SUN. I spent hours drilling 3 stinking holes! I was so upset yeterday. I thought I would get all jacks installed SUN and then finish up next weekend. Then I thought "Just get the back ones on today".....I was so disappointed.

You gave me some hope now.... Thanks. I wil order some from Amazon.

Did you have to drill though both the frame and the frame extention on the back of your Vegas??
Old 09-24-2018, 11:14 PM   #76

THOR #12231
Ok, I ordered $95 worth of drill bits (cobalt for hard metal) so I should be in good shape next weekend. I hope.

If it dont work like it should - Im calling you guys to come over for a pizza/big foot install party next weekend!!
Old 09-25-2018, 12:47 AM   #77

THOR #12326
I did the welding on the rear. lol, sure just drive her over to cali
Old 09-25-2018, 09:16 AM   #78
sip

THOR #5882
I hear you on the drilling .. once the bits and the metal get hot, it just gets so much worse very quickly.... and those pesky hot scorching shavings landing every which place (arms face etc) ain't fun either lol

Regarding the electricals ... things got a lot easier for me once I decided to cut up the wire harness that came with the kit and run some of my own wiring. But every install is so different.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:18 PM   #79

THOR #12231
Yeah I notice the wiring harness seems very long. Might sorten some. I have not decided where to put the central pump box yet. Might put under the frame beneath the drivers side like the recommend or under the Passenger side.

They also sent a plastic box that you can put the inside controller in. I might either use that and just velco out of the way and when I use it just hold in hand from the cockpit area. Or I could put in in one of the cargo bay areas and hold by hand while I watch what is going on with the jack (I Like the idea of watching them - esp if I stack some block for additional clearance). Or mount to the wall on the DS of the cockpit since the dash on the Axis / Vegas is very wimpy - no back support on the lower part so when you push the buttons the dash will move in an inch or two or you have to told the dash with one hand while pressing with the other.

I figure I would decide on this once everything else is done.

I just hope the new drill bits do the trick.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:26 AM   #80

THOR #12326
so how did the weekend go L&W?