Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-04-2019, 07:47 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 388
THOR #15054
Question Installing CB antenna; need some advice!

Putting a CB in our rig, not so much for everyday use but for those times when we have zero phone service and don't want to be without assistance if needed.

I was going to mount the antenna on the outside wall, in between the drivers window and the slide, vertically even with the awning that sits above that slide. Measured out where I would put the four screws into the wall and thought I'd drill the smallest of test holes, just to see what I was dealing with for materials and depth. Lo and behold, as soon as I punctured the fiberglass skin of the Vegas, the drill bit had ZERO resistance to it. I stopped drilling and manually moved the drill and sure enough, it went straight to the inside wall! There is absolutely nothing there but air. How disappointing this was!

I now am faced with putting two or four large bolts of probably 3" length through both walls with a brace on the interior wall to hold the antenna bracket into place.

Does anyone have a better solution for this or am I on the right track?
__________________

__________________
TimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:25 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 236
THOR #13932
The location in the picture is single pane glass. It's what works on the glass mount cb antennas. So many people complain about the glass mounts because they mount it to too thick laminate glass.
Spend 20 bucks on a glass mount, put it right there in the picture.
This where and how mine will mount. It's number 241 on a mod list of 512 so it'll probably be a while, but the research is done and the book is closed for me.

(and your mount idea wouldn't have worked anyway due to a regular antenna needing to be mounted to metal for a ground plane that's counter to the antenna.
Glass mounts and specialty antennas do not need metal to mount to.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0904191322.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	20048  
__________________

__________________
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:52 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 388
THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
The location in the picture is single pane glass. It's what works on the glass mount cb antennas. So many people complain about the glass mounts because they mount it to too thick laminate glass.
Spend 20 bucks on a glass mount, put it right there in the picture.
This where and how mine will mount. It's number 241 on a mod list of 512 so it'll probably be a while, but the research is done and the book is closed for me.

(and your mount idea wouldn't have worked anyway due to a regular antenna needing to be mounted to metal for a ground plane that's counter to the antenna.
Glass mounts and specialty antennas do not need metal to mount to.)
Mine is a no ground plane antenna, which is exactly what we need for an RV or boat, etc. I have the equipment I want; I just want to find the best way to mount it, given the limitations of our walls.
__________________
TimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:56 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 236
THOR #13932
I would drill a dime size hole, fill the wall cavity with hard expanding foam and put a decorative cover over the hole if the antenna didn't cover. That will keep the wall from flexing when you run through-bolts to the plate you put on the inside of the wall.
This is how I fixed a torn out lower awning leg mount on my little nitrous toy hauler.

You can drill a hole slightly smaller than the bolt pattern and make a plug of wood to go between the walls if you don't like the foam idea.

I would first take off the cover plate for the upper seat belt adjuster that resides on the space between the slider and the window and see what's in there like a hellacious metal bar or wood beam I could attach to.

Yup, I'm sitting in the 24.1 doing mods and typing.
I'm right now building a cover for the exposed electrical panel in the cubby below the drivers seat. Laminate wiring diagram will be glued right to it....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0904191403.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	20049  
__________________
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:34 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 388
THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I would drill a dime size hole, fill the wall cavity with hard expanding foam and put a decorative cover over the hole if the antenna didn't cover. That will keep the wall from flexing when you run through-bolts to the plate you put on the inside of the wall.
This is how I fixed a torn out lower awning leg mount on my little nitrous toy hauler.

You can drill a hole slightly smaller than the bolt pattern and make a plug of wood to go between the walls if you don't like the foam idea.

I would first take off the cover plate for the upper seat belt adjuster that resides on the space between the slider and the window and see what's in there like a hellacious metal bar or wood beam I could attach to.

Yup, I'm sitting in the 24.1 doing mods and typing.
I'm right now building a cover for the exposed electrical panel in the cubby below the drivers seat. Laminate wiring diagram will be glued right to it....
I like the foam idea. I wonder if that would be strong enough to hold with just the four deck screws or if I still need to go through the interior wall with bolts.

I know the wood plug would do that but I'm a little scared to make a hole that large just yet.
__________________
TimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:49 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 236
THOR #13932
I through-bolt whenever I can and either put a plate on the interior or use toggles.
There is never any doubt when you through bolt.
I'm not a fan of screws.
Acorn nuts are decorative if that's a concern and they make what are called head covers in lots of different colors.
__________________
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:54 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 388
THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I through-bolt whenever I can and either put a plate on the interior or use toggles.
There is never any doubt when you through bolt.
I'm not a fan of screws.
Acorn nuts are decorative if that's a concern and they make what are called head covers in lots of different colors.
No, not too concerned with the look as it will be up by the drop down bunk mechanism and won't be seen too easily. Just trying to get away without having to go through the interior wall. You're probably right, though. Better to do that and be sure.
__________________
TimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:25 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 2,232
THOR #3156
Also make sure you seal it well. Dont want water in the wall
__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:27 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 388
THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Also make sure you seal it well. Dont want water in the wall
Yeah, I'll probably do a little overkill with that. I'm paranoid about these things.
__________________
TimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 388
THOR #15054
Well, she is done! I had to move her over towards the window a bit from where I originally planned, but with a brace on the interior wall right in between the drop down bunk bracket and the window, she feels really solid. Even tuned just fine, which surprised me. Got the SWR to about 1.3:1, which is just fine.



__________________
TimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:30 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Popfla's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Florida
Posts: 214
THOR #14543
Question

Looks good.

I've been considering putting a CB in our MH also. What brand antenna is that ? And is that a spring at the base of it, or is it just very flexible ? I'm thinking it may hit tree branches, very low overpasses, etc.
__________________
Ed
2019 Thor Freedom Elite 30FE
Living The Dream in "God's Waiting Room"
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:37 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 388
THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
Looks good.

I've been considering putting a CB in our MH also. What brand antenna is that ? And is that a spring at the base of it, or is it just very flexible ? I'm thinking it may hit tree branches, very low overpasses, etc.
It is a FireStik FG2648-B Two Foot No-Ground Plane CB Antenna kit https://www.amazon.com/FireStik-FG26.../dp/B000X37ZT8.

There is indeed a spring, which came with the kit. Overall height is within a couple of inches of the very tallest part of the Vegas so it shouldn't be any real problem with scraping things. (If I'm THAT close, I won't be going there!)

I was disappointed in the hollow wall of my Vegas, but the antenna kit has a brace that worked just fine, which I attached to the interior wall. I did have to go buy some 2" hex head bolts as they only included ones that were about 1.5".
__________________

__________________
TimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2