Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2017, 06:02 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Installing a Fantastic Fan

I bought a Fantastic fan for our MH, but I don't see an access to a constant 12v source. One light switch for several cabin lights is nice, but you can't tap into their 12v power. Any of you guys that have done the install, where did you get your power source?

Old 09-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #2

Model: Ace 29.2
State: Georgia
THOR #6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
I bought a Fantastic fan for our MH, but I don't see an access to a constant 12v source. One light switch for several cabin lights is nice, but you can't tap into their 12v power. Any of you guys that have done the install, where did you get your power source?

What kind of rv and where are you going to put it
Old 09-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I've installed 3, but none on our Axis.

You could drop the inside trim piece of where you want to install it and check the wiring--perhaps its pre-wired.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:50 PM   #4

THOR #7205
We have a 2016 ws31. I will be installing it in the vent in the kitchen area, you can see it in this picture. https://d17qgzvii7d4wm.cloudfront.ne...4_39834009.jpg
Old 09-12-2017, 03:02 PM   #5

THOR #7205
I dropped the vent trim first thing. There is wiring for the lights, but of course no power until you turn on the lights. I actually tried creating a channel in the styrofoam from an adjacent vent opening to the cupboard above the entry door. That's where the usb plugs are, and a 12v power supply. No joy yet with that idea. It SHOULDN'T be this HARD! Dang! This is a very popular addition to our coaches.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:18 AM   #6

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I've installed 3, but none on our Axis.

You could drop the inside trim piece of where you want to install it and check the wiring--perhaps its pre-wired.
No pre-wiring for a fan. But there is a square conduit with wiring to the lights. I now have the new fan wiring pulled to within 4" of the cubby hole the resi-fridge sits in. I should be able to find and pull the wire with it only about 5- 6" away instead of 2'.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #7

Model: Ace 29.2
State: Georgia
THOR #6481
I was able to run wire from the fan in the bath
Old 09-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #8

THOR #7205
I finished the wiring for the fan a week or so ago. I decided to get my 12v power from the back of the RV systems panel. Pulling wire to just above the fridge was only 6" away from the a/c vent I was coming from. Once my wires exited the ceiling it was a straight drop down to the back of the panel. Success!
Old 09-22-2017, 01:26 AM   #9

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Funny how Thor would run 12 Volt power to all the other vents but not to the one in the Kitchen. I have a Four Winds 31Y and there is power to the one in the bedroom, bathroom and upfront. The one in the Kitchen has none. I would think the kitchen besides the bathroom would be the key. The kitchen would help to get rid of cooking moisture, smoke, and heat. Gather I will have to either just BBQ or order out until I install one in the Kitchen.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:33 AM   #10

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrrr View Post
Funny how Thor would run 12 Volt power to all the other vents but not to the one in the Kitchen. I have a Four Winds 31Y and there is power to the one in the bedroom, bathroom and upfront. The one in the Kitchen has none. I would think the kitchen besides the bathroom would be the key. The kitchen would help to get rid of cooking moisture, smoke, and heat. Gather I will have to either just BBQ or order out until I install one in the Kitchen.
So, you are saying your coach has a CONSTANT 12v power source at all your vents EXCEPT the kitchen? Hmmm... I will have to pull the trim on a couple of my other vents to see if mine have power wires.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:13 AM   #11

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Quote:
So, you are saying your coach has a CONSTANT 12v power source at all your vents EXCEPT the kitchen? Hmmm... I will have to pull the trim on a couple of my other vents to see if mine have power wires.
Instead of pulling the trim, why not just look at the schematics from Thor. Or the features may help. If they offer a fan as an option for the vent then they more than likely have run the power there.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
I installed one of Heng's vortex fans in my kitchen of our 31W. I just hooked it to the overhead lights as that wire ran right by there anyway. I don't usually cook without the lights on so it works great. Also the Heng's fans are installed in place of the screen so you don't have to mess with the roof and possibly cause a leak. I only got the single speed unit so it is a little noisy because it is on full blast only. It does seem to move a lot of air though. They do make a variable speed model also.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:08 PM   #13

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrrr View Post
Instead of pulling the trim, why not just look at the schematics from Thor. Or the features may help. If they offer a fan as an option for the vent then they more than likely have run the power there.
Hahaha... I'd spend more time searching out a wiring diagram than I would stepping out the door to look at mine. Not to mention frustration trying to find the diagram.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:11 PM   #14

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druff View Post
I installed one of Heng's vortex fans in my kitchen of our 31W. I just hooked it to the overhead lights as that wire ran right by there anyway. I don't usually cook without the lights on so it works great. Also the Heng's fans are installed in place of the screen so you don't have to mess with the roof and possibly cause a leak. I only got the single speed unit so it is a little noisy because it is on full blast only. It does seem to move a lot of air though. They do make a variable speed model also.
Ya, I wanted ours to work independent from the lights. And, it has the thermostat so it will kick on/off on it's own keeping air moving when it gets warmer.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:21 PM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Hahaha... I'd spend more time searching out a wiring diagram than I would stepping out the door to look at mine. Not to mention frustration trying to find the diagram.
Searching out a wiring diagram is as easy as calling Thor and asking for it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote