Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-18-2018, 08:07 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 19
THOR #9392
Inverter for light AC service when no shore power

Class C Chateau/FourWinds 22B
I would like to add some light AC electrical service to my coach for overnight stays on the road where shore power is not available and I don't want to run the generator for long periods of time. My my requirement is 100 Watts. LCDTV w/ROKU (100 Watts) or CPAP 60 Watts, not both at the same time.
I am looking at a 200 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter with a "cigarette lighter" plug.
I have added a second house battery that matches the original battery (group 27 Deep cycle), so I have doubled my amp/hours
There is 2 "cigarette lighter" plugs on the dash and in the glove box of the cab of the Ford E350.
Does anyone know if one, or both, or none of the "cigarette lighter" plugs are connected to the house batteries as opposed to the engine/chassis battery?

Thanks
__________________

__________________
AlwaysDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:20 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Mo_Mike's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
Posts: 901
THOR #4687
I know on the FORD E-450 on our AXIS the one power port is on chassis, and what would have been the second from FORD (capped off but leads are there) is also on the chassis.

Since the second capped leads are a 30 amp rated load, I have used them to power some usb ports under the dash
__________________

__________________
Mo_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:39 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
TurnerFam's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.3 34'bunkhouse
State: Alabama
Posts: 1,788
THOR #4735
Arrow

you might want to easily try the Inverter with the battery clips, directly from the batteries themselves... see the photo. This unit, you can find many places, including most auto parts stores and Walmart, will also show you your draw amps and the battery level, nice.

This way you are plugging your items either directly into this unit, or using an extension cord to your devices. You can monitor your battery levels, which you probably can't with the other types.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30949ca7-edca-4b1c-a322-57c27ca9d338_1.93543ac4ceedf83ea42cc405cb8331da.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	9084  
__________________
the Turners
'14 Palazzo 33.3 bunkhouse 34' diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish HD, 100w/5a SOLAR, BlueOx
100,000+mi since '14 - US, Alaska, Canada.... was WC Georgia, then W NorthCarolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:12 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 19
THOR #9392
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDreaming View Post
Class C Chateau/FourWinds 22B
I would like to add some light AC electrical service to my coach for overnight stays on the road where shore power is not available and I don't want to run the generator for long periods of time. My my requirement is 100 Watts. LCDTV w/ROKU (100 Watts) or CPAP 60 Watts, not both at the same time.
I am looking at a 200 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter with a "cigarette lighter" plug.
I have added a second house battery that matches the original battery (group 27 Deep cycle), so I have doubled my amp/hours
There is 2 "cigarette lighter" plugs on the dash and in the glove box of the cab of the Ford E350.
Does anyone know if one, or both, or none of the "cigarette lighter" plugs are connected to the house batteries as opposed to the engine/chassis battery?

Thanks
I was mistaken, there are 3 "cigarette lighter" plugs, 2 on the dash 3 inches apart, one in the glove box. 1 of the 3 must be connected to the house batteries, right?
__________________
AlwaysDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:17 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 19
THOR #9392
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
you might want to easily try the Inverter with the battery clips, directly from the batteries themselves... see the photo. This unit, you can find many places, including most auto parts stores and Walmart, will also show you your draw amps and the battery level, nice.

This way you are plugging your items either directly into this unit, or using an extension cord to your devices. You can monitor your battery levels, which you probably can't with the other types.
I understand that LCD TV's, Computers, Medical equipment, while low power, require "clean power". I have read that a "pure" sinewave inverter is the cleanest power.
__________________
AlwaysDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:40 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
TurnerFam's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.3 34'bunkhouse
State: Alabama
Posts: 1,788
THOR #4735
that's pure balogna... our modified sine wave Inverter has performed perfectly in over 3 years, 80,000 miles - desktop computers, TVs, receivers, fridge, electronics, everything....
__________________
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:06 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29h outlaw
State: New Jersey
Posts: 238
THOR #5248
My 2017 outlaw (2016 e450 chassis) has to sockets, both wired to the chassis battery. I added one from the coach batteries by tapping off the power lead behind the radio to power the xm receiver while camping.
__________________
Trkyte@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:29 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 2,880
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDreaming View Post
I understand that LCD TV's, Computers, Medical equipment, while low power, require "clean power". I have read that a "pure" sinewave inverter is the cleanest power.
Nope, that stuff really doesn't care as it converts the 120 VAC back to DC any way. The things that care about true sine waves are motors that rely on the sine wave to create a smoothly rotating magnetic field.

BTW, look at the power supply for your CPAP: it probably puts out 12 VDC so a DC cord may be the way to go for that.

And if you want a cigarette lighter style connection to you house batteries you will probably need to install it yourself.
__________________
The USER Formally Known As TFryman
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:54 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Mo_Mike's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
Posts: 901
THOR #4687
I would bet they are all FORD equipment, so off the chassis...THOR doesn't modify the OEM from FORD very much
__________________
Mo_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:40 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 3,929
THOR #2121
My older Ford E-350 has two just to the right of steering wheel. One requires key to be on, the other stays powered all the time.

Like Tfryman stated, I've only had a problem connecting a small fan motor to my modified sine wave inverter. Mostly we used it for charging phones, laptops, and cameras years ago. Now we mostly connect phones and iPads directly to a charger, so small inverter rarely gets used.

With prices being as low as they are, I'd go with pure sine inverter. Inverters can last a long time if one is lucky, and who knows what use you may have that requires pure sine in the next year or two.
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:34 PM   #11
gmc
Senior Member
 
gmc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
Posts: 1,750
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDreaming View Post
I was mistaken, there are 3 "cigarette lighter" plugs, 2 on the dash 3 inches apart, one in the glove box. 1 of the 3 must be connected to the house batteries, right?
On my Hurricane - all 3 of those are on the chassis battery...
Only matters when boondocking - as the chassis battery and coach batteries are charged by either alternator or shore power/genny...

I am planning to add one in the bedroom area attached to coach - for convenience.
__________________
Greg
Not yet retired...
Florida (Michigan transplant)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:38 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
Posts: 324
THOR #9522
My wife's CPAP is 90 watt 24V DC supply. That said we ran it off the bedroom TV outlet supplied by the inverter and it worked fine. I also couldn't measure the draw on my inverter display. Me thinks 90 watts is overkill.
__________________

__________________
Pete and Carolynn Foss from Oxford, MI
2018 Four Winds 31W
1999 Aero Cub F-21 trailer
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×