Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2016, 07:43 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Inverter Set-up (feedback needed)

Fellow Tinkerers,

I'm planning out my winter project.

I want to hard wire an inverter to power all general receptables and microwave. I will also be using a 15A inline transfer relay to avoid conflict with shore power and generator power.

Can I install a 15amp AC circuit breaker to accomplish this? The feed would then go back to a junction box.

Any thoughts?

Always Tinker

Old 12-26-2016, 11:47 PM   #2
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
The inline transfer relay will take in power from the inverter and another AC source (a single circuit from distribution breaker box that could be shore or genny powered) - switching between them as needed - and output A/C to the outlets...

But you are talking about covering multiple circuits in the RV - assuming the microwave is on its own 15A circuit - and the general receptacles are on at least one other 15A circuit...
(On my Hurricane I have 4 15A circuits feeding outlets... two general - one tv - one microwave... but that is a 50A (100A) rig. The Axis is 30A - so you may only have one other circuit - but still microwave + anything significant will likely trip a 15A breaker.)

I'm thinking that transfer relay needs to handle more than 15A when on shore power to do what you are proposing...

What inverter and transfer relay are you installing?
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:19 AM   #3

THOR #2025
Thanks for the input....

It looks like the general receptacles and the microwave are on two different circuits. I may need to change approaches and just dedicate the inverter to one circuit to feed the general receptacles.

I'm considering the Xantrex ProWatt 1000 with the Xantrex inline transfer switch.

So, the Xantrex Inline Transfer Switch has the following:

1. AC input 1 from inverter (inverter plug)
2. AC input 2 from utility
3. AC output to load

The actual wiring to the electrical panel is my biggest confusion.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:24 AM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
OK... Down to a single circuit - the wiring is actually simple... If you aren't comfortable working with this - have a qualified tech do so.
You want the 12v DC runs (battery to inverter) as short as possible. The AC runs can be as long as needed.

Power off... (AC and DC)

DC Side:
Xantrex instructions recommend minimum wire size of 4AWG... and distance of less than 6 feet from battery to inverter (but caution against being in battery compartment...) This restriction will dictate the placement of the inverter and transfer switch. Connect 'chassis ground screw' to RV chassis, and run wire from positive (with inline fuse) and negative on battery to inverter input.

AC Side:
Identify the circuit you want the inverter on... In the breaker box, remove the hot (black) wire from the circuit breaker - and the matching neutral (white) and ground (bare) wires from the neutral/ground bus bar. - These will be connected to the output side of the transfer switch - Depending on location of inverter and transfer switch - may need to extend these wires using a junction box and wire nuts...
Run new wires from the breaker box (same positions just removed) to the input side of transfer switch.
Plug the remaining input on transfer switch in to the inverter output.

Power up!

Make sense?
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:59 PM   #5

THOR #2025
Thanks Greg.

Ah...makes complete sense.

This is exactly what I thought...but I wanted some reassurance from a veteran Tinkerer

Again, thanks a million!
Old 12-27-2016, 01:16 PM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs View Post
Fellow Tinkerers,

I'm planning out my winter project.

I want to hard wire an inverter to power all general receptables and microwave. I will also be using a 15A inline transfer relay to avoid conflict with shore power and generator power.

Can I install a 15amp AC circuit breaker to accomplish this? The feed would then go back to a junction box.

Any thoughts?

Always Tinker

Quote:
.....cut....

I'm considering the Xantrex ProWatt 1000 with the Xantrex inline transfer switch.

.....cut.....

My 2 cents .....

I would first define in much detail what you want to accomplish operationally before selecting equipment, or before worrying about how or what it would take to install it.

For example, you first mentioned wanting to run the microwave; which sounds great to me. But most RV microwaves (except very small ones) won't run on 1,000-watt inverter.

And if you don't connect microwave to inverter, what are you going to run off outlets? A coffee maker, hair dryer, etc. may also not run off a 1,000-watt inverter.

Regarding transfer switch, there is a reason many inverters that have built-in transfer switches are rated at 30-Amps. That way when connected to shore power or running the generator, your system can run at full power. Otherwise you may not be able to make coffee and run a hair dryer (or other combinations) because you'll have a bottleneck created by the 15-Amp transfer switch.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:57 PM   #7

THOR #2025
Thanks Chance,

I always appreciate it when you give me money (2 cents)

We actually generated a list of things we wanted to use on the inverter. The microwave was removed from the list once I realized it was on another circuit. I wanted this to be a straightforward installation.

I haven't purchased anything yet...mainly looking for installation advice. I can always move from 1000 to 1500 or 2000 watt inverter no problem.

From what I understand, the Xantrex Inline Relay essentially cuts off power to the inverter if it senses shore power or generator power.

Do you have a recommendation for an inverter (1500 to 2000 watts) with a built in relay? Inverters are plentiful...looking for quality, value, and customer service. My research always led me back to Xantrex...can't get away from their online presence

I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:58 PM   #8

THOR #2025
Any know the AMP hours on the stock Harris coach batteries?
Old 12-27-2016, 02:19 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
You won't get much inverter time if you have the original Harris batteries.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:27 PM   #10

THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
You won't get much inverter time if you have the original Harris batteries.
After I do the inverter upgrade, I will definitely toss the batteries.

I was just curious to know what the AMP hours were on the Harris batteries.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:54 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs
I was just curious to know what the AMP hours were on the Harris batteries.
Its something like -30
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:52 PM   #12

THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Its something like -30
Thanks J
Old 12-27-2016, 10:04 PM   #13

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I put an 1800 watt inverter in ours, and scraped running the microwave off of it. It is wired to run the non-GFI outlets and the TV's. The 1800 Xantrex has a transfer switch internally, so if you run the generator, or plug into shore power, it stops inverting and simply allows the power to pass through.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:55 PM   #14

THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
I put an 1800 watt inverter in ours, and scraped running the microwave off of it. It is wired to run the non-GFI outlets and the TV's. The 1800 Xantrex has a transfer switch internally, so if you run the generator, or plug into shore power, it stops inverting and simply allows the power to pass through.

The 1800 watt Xantrex with the built in transfer switch is a hefty price - $1000.00.

Why did you scrap the microwave connection?
Old 12-27-2016, 11:06 PM   #15

THOR #2121
Xantrex also makes the Freedom Xi series in 1,000 and 2,000 watt sizes that come with built-in 30-Amp transfer relays. I don't know much about them but would evaluate them if looking for an inverter in that size range. Apparently the larger one costs about $200 more than the 1,000-watt size.

These must be related to the new 1,200-watt inverter that was recently introduced by Xantrex to the RV industry in Louisville specifically for motorhomes with residential refrigerators. For now that size is not sold retail.

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Pow...0Datasheet.pdf
Old 12-27-2016, 11:16 PM   #16

THOR #2121
A little info on new 1,200-watt model that was just introduced.

About Xantrex -- News Releases > Xantrex / Schneider Electric to unveil a new power solution for residential AC fridge at the National RV Tradeshow
Old 12-27-2016, 11:17 PM   #17

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Quote:
The 1800 watt Xantrex with the built in transfer switch is a hefty price - $1000.00.

Why did you scrap the microwave connection?
Dealer installed as part of the deal, so I wasn't terribly concerned about its cost. I scraped the microwave, after computing wattage, a TV or two, the satellite system, the direct TV box and if anything is plugged in and you tried to start the microwave, that 1800 watts is pretty easy to exceed. Wife & I figured if we use the microwave, its for a short period of time, no big deal to just start the generator for a few minutes.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:46 AM   #18

THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

Thanks for the info! Very impressive inverter!

Old 12-28-2016, 03:07 AM   #19

THOR #2121
Regarding how to wire, the Xantrex Xi Installation Guide shows a typical diagram like gmc described in his post above. The difference here is that if you will have more than one circuit fed from inverter, you'd have to add a small AC load panel with separate breakers for each load.

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Pow...-01_Rev-A).pdf

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	666
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	3616  
Old 12-28-2016, 03:17 AM   #20

THOR #2121
The diagram for marine installation gives a better description of each panel's function. I don't know enough about this Xantrex Xi inverter to recommend it -- just using it as an example that may help you with wiring and installation. Obviously this applies to inverter with built-in transfer relay. An inverter plus external transfer relay would likely require a little more wiring.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	3617