Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2016, 11:57 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 hurricane 31s
State: Florida
THOR #3836
satellite

can anybody recommend a satellite roof mounted dome for a 2015 axis. what are the pros and cons of the available systems. I plan on installing it my self.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:38 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
Do you have Satellite at home? If so I would use that type. Second do you have to have in motion or HD. That will help steer you in the right direction.

We have a Trav'ler with Direct TV.

KC
Old 03-18-2016, 04:09 PM   #3

THOR #3836
satellite

I would like automatic set up, I don't need to watch TV going down the road only when parked. I don't have storage room for a portable.as for hd I don't know, I wont be recording. mostly watching news in the morning and at night, don't care if local or not.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #4

THOR #2628
Do you own Sat dish at home?
Old 03-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #5

THOR #3836
satellite

no I have att. I was looking at the dish hopper and joeys, it seams like a lot of money for how much tv I watch
Old 03-18-2016, 04:20 PM   #6

THOR #2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopshop View Post
no I have att. I was looking at the dish hopper and joeys, it seams like a lot of money for how much tv I watch
If you don't need HD then there are a lot of options. We have Direct TV at home and just take the receiver with us. Look at both Direct TV and Dish figure out which is best for what you need, then get a look at dish's. Also figure out weather or not you need HD or not.

KC
Old 03-18-2016, 04:23 PM   #7

THOR #3836
satellite

any ideas on how to get 3 tvs to run independent of each other with out buying the top of the line dish
Old 03-18-2016, 04:25 PM   #8

THOR #2628
Not sure but I think you need a top of the line dish, and you will have to pay for 2 to 3 receivers.

KC
Old 03-18-2016, 04:27 PM   #9

THOR #2628
ATT now owns Direct TV, you might get a good deal. But for your three TV you will need the top of the line Sat Dish like we have.

KC
Old 03-18-2016, 04:30 PM   #10

THOR #3836
satellite

yea I here you. when I called dish they said I could buy the hopper and joey on amazon, but dish charges a monthly fee to use them. they Nichol and dime you to death. thank you for your input
Old 03-18-2016, 04:36 PM   #11

THOR #2628
Quote:
yea I here you. when I called dish they said I could buy the hopper and joey on amazon, but dish charges a monthly fee to use them. they Nichol and dime you to death. thank you for your input
Try Direct TV, Good Luck

KC
Old 03-18-2016, 04:47 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
The monthly charge is only $7 per receiver. Dish also has a plan where you only pay for the months you use the service. So if you don't use the RV during the winter you can call and cancel the account. One caution about roof mounted satellites. I don't know what kind of camp ground you camp in but with a portable dish you can move it if you don't have a signal. I know a lot of people that have a dish on the roof of their RV and camp in state parks or shady spots and can't get a signal. Most have canceled their service because they can't use it.