Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2015, 12:56 AM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce
I have no idea where the box is located. It is identified as "12 volt at front distribution box".
Yeah I see that with no indication where the box is.
Quote:
It isn't likely that using the microphone would blow the radio fuse.
I agree but that is the only thing that was different between the two phone calls.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:40 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
Is your stereo powered by the house batteries?

If it is, it should be located near the source so that it can protect the wiring to the stereo. If the fuse panel were located by the stereo, it could not do that.

But with Thor, who knows if they are using accepted practices or not.

I agree that it is unlikely that the microphone caused the fuse to blow, unless the mic wire is grounded on one side, especially if the mic is powered (some types of mics are).

Sometimes mic cables are shielded and grounded since they are low level devices as this can prevent stray interference in noisy electrical environments, such as near an automotive engine.

Again, speculation on my part.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:05 PM   #23
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z
Is your stereo powered by the house batteries?
Yes, which would make the source the battery under the step. I don't think the fuses are there, however as I've looked there and there isn't anything under the step except the battery (with plenty of room for a 2nd battery). I suspect the "12 Volt at Front Distribution Box" fuses are located near the isolation relay (The Vegas/Axis has a powered 12V isolation relay: The switch for it is near the step but you can hear it click over somewhere in the front passenger side.)

Quote:
I agree that it is unlikely that the microphone caused the fuse to blow, unless the mic wire is grounded on one side, especially if the mic is powered (some types of mics are).
Kind of my thoughts: The plug for the mic has four pins and isn't keyed very well so you can plug it in in any of 4 different orientations. My thought is that I may have somehow caused a short to ground and when the radio "turned on" the mic it blew the fuse.

First things first though: still have to find the fuse! LOL

Perhaps this is a big hint, from the Axis owners manual no less:
Quote:
The Class A motorhome also has a 12 Volt fuse panel, electrical distribution box,
located on the fire wall under the hood. These fuses protect the automotive features
which are installed by Thor Motor Coach. There is a complete breakdown on the
various fuses printed on the backside of this fuse panel cover.
(I've already found the two Ford panels: one under the dash next to the steering column and the other under the hood.)
Old 02-15-2015, 02:09 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
I'm not thinking so much at the battery box, but perhaps adjacent to your other fuse panel (and in the worst case, it could be behind it - yikes!). Remember, you are dealing with "Thor" engineering.

I sure sympathize with you working on your RV on such a cold day.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:16 PM   #25

Model: Miramar
State: Kentucky
THOR #1533
Front Distribution Box is located in the engine compartment. Should be on the right side.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:42 PM   #26

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
On my unit fuse 6 in the distribution box is labeled stereo and it does cut the power to the stereo when removed. Also, I noticed that the location has an LED that lights when the circuit is broken so if that fuse was your problem it would be illuminated.

The electrical diagram must be out of date. The date on it would indicate that it was done prior to production. I think the front distribution box was eliminated in the final production version.

If fuse 6 is good then you need to look elsewhere for the problem.

Does your radio have an internal fuse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
First things first though: still have to find the fuse! LOL
That explains the 50AMP fuse located in the back of the cabinet beneath the sink.

Quote:
(The Vegas/Axis has a powered 12V isolation relay: The switch for it is near the step but you can hear it click over somewhere in the front passenger side.)
Bruce
Old 02-15-2015, 02:47 PM   #27

THOR #1503
I've looked behind and around the distribution center. I have also looked in the back of the drawers in the galley. No panel.

Bruce

BTW I need to find the air intake for the ventilation system and stuff a towel in it. There's cold air migrating in through the dash air vents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
I'm not thinking so much at the battery box, but perhaps adjacent to your other fuse panel (and in the worst case, it could be behind it - yikes!). Remember, you are dealing with "Thor" engineering.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:48 PM   #28

THOR #1503
Apparently 30 posts is the milestone for graduating from a Junior member!

Bruce
Old 02-15-2015, 04:11 PM   #29
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
BTW I need to find the air intake for the ventilation system and stuff a towel in it. There's cold air migrating in through the dash air vents.
The air intake(s) are the two tubes hose clamped to the top of the black plastic "shelf" above the radiator (open the "hood" you'll see exactly what I'm talking about). Unless the 25.1 front end is different from the 24.1.
Quote:
LOL Not today. Was already outside running to the store for something else..waay to cold (car said -8F news says -20F - -30F wind chills). Don't want to be standing outside digging around under the "hood" on a day like today (yesterday all the work was inside: I started everything and had the furnace going..nice & toasty).
Quote:
Does your radio have an internal fuse?
Yes it has a removable fuse: that one is good, and I measured the power wires with my voltmeter: 0 volts.
Quote:
The electrical diagram must be out of date. The date on it would indicate that it was done prior to production.
There are several items on the diagram that indicate it is for the prototype 24.1 unit (including the fact that it shows the generator and some other components in the wrong spot from ours).
Quote:
If fuse 6 is good then you need to look elsewhere for the problem.
On my converter panel I have 11 fuses (all are good: I checked them and none of the LEDs are lit). In addition the label shows 12 fuses with fuse #12 labelled as "entertainment"..hmm no #12 fuse.
I would imagine there will be some differences between my 24.1 and your 25.1 (most likely yours was built almost a year later than mine).
Old 02-15-2015, 04:52 PM   #30

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
Very nice unit. Someday, maybe here too.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:13 PM   #31
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Found it. Rather logical too: the front drivers side storage (where the slide control box is) has a black metal box with a label on it saying battery stuff (I'm paraphrasing) fuses inside. The radio fuse is only 5A which explains why it blew. Both the 212 and 215 have 10A fuses on the back of the unit.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:26 PM   #32
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150

I haven't re-tested bluetooth phone calls yet. Now that I know where the fuse(s) are I want to be ready with spares before testing.
As for the GPS antenna: I just used double sided sticky tape and left it installed underneath the dash cover (the one held on by two 1/4 turn screws). Plastic does not block GPS signals (much the same as fiberglass doesn't block them either) thus I shouldn't see a decrease in navigation performance with it hidden away.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:45 PM   #33

State: Alabama
THOR #1478
Wow Jamie, I have been following your post on this install and I must say, you have done an outstanding job. I would love to install one of these units in the future and now I have a guide to follow thanks to you. I'm not sure if this has already been asked but can you leave the backup camera on all the time?
Old 02-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #34
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by timp410
can you leave the backup camera on all the time?
Yes: The camera menu is identical to the camera menu in the 212 (frankly I think its running the exact same software for the camera menus). You can leave any camera running all the time and the backup camera has an audio button so you can turn it on/off. I'm pretty sure the radio/bluetooth/Sirius audio will play when you turn off the backup camera's audio (since that seemed to be the way the radio works: switch to nav and the radio continues to play--or DVD for that matter).

It is pretty easy given that I was replacing a Jensen with a Jensen so the hole in the dash was an exact fit (I did have to remove the 212's mounting collar and put in the 215's as the latches were in different locations).
Old 02-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #35

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Good job Jamie! Really nice modification. Now you just need to get all that snow and cold weather out of the way and get her on the road.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:30 PM   #36

THOR #1503
Congratulations!

Finally,

Bruce
Old 02-16-2015, 05:39 PM   #37
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry
Now you just need to get all that snow and cold weather out of the way and get her on the road.
No kidding, it seems the more I work on it/visit the camper the colder it gets!
Old 02-16-2015, 05:49 PM   #38

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Just blame it on that old groundhog.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:45 PM   #39

State: Alabama
THOR #1478
Quote:
Yes: The camera menu is identical to the camera menu in the 212 (frankly I think its running the exact same software for the camera menus). You can leave any camera running all the time and the backup camera has an audio button so you can turn it on/off. I'm pretty sure the radio/bluetooth/Sirius audio will play when you turn off the backup camera's audio (since that seemed to be the way the radio works: switch to nav and the radio continues to play--or DVD for that matter).

It is pretty easy given that I was replacing a Jensen with a Jensen so the hole in the dash was an exact fit (I did have to remove the 212's mounting collar and put in the 215's as the latches were in different locations).
Outstanding Jamie, thanks again for your help.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:53 PM   #40
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Now this is funny: I had sent off an owner request to Thor looking for the fuse location. Their reply was the attached wiring diagram (note one page is the same as we've seen on here but there are two additional pages with plug pinouts) along with the text "there should be an inline fuse located on the positive off of the house battery".
The rather large junction box on the drivers front outside storage is a bit more than an inline fuse--its more like a complete circuit board with a good dozen or more fuses and assorted circuitry.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DOC021615-004.pdf (122.7 KB, 244 views)