Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2021, 10:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Adding dish playmaker

I have a playmaker on the roof that was installed before I bought the Omni. Nice enough but on this trip all 3 sites we have had were blocked in the SW by huge trees. Actually the Playmaker being the entry of antennas would only need a shrub to block it so the huge trees was somewhat of an overkill. TV isn't of the most importance to us EXCEPT certain fall weekends, ROLL TIDE.

So here's my thought, get another portable playmaker, they only cost $250, and set it out with a clear access to the SW sky on those critical days. That said where and how do I connect to the receiver? For those interested, on the Omni XG32 the TV antenna controls and cables all come together in the cabinet above the theater seating on the passenger side forward. The TV cable "shore connection" is in the aft driver's side but that coax doesn't go direct to the receiver, in the upper right cabinet. Not sure where the splitter is that takes it to the HDMI splitter for signal distribution. Likely inside the cabinet somewhere near the booster switch, just guessing though. On previous RVs there was a satellite connection in the wet bay along with the cable connector but if there's one on the Omni, I wasn't told about it and don't know where it is.

For antenna strength I'd throw a Trav'ler antenna on the roof but that doesn't solve the directional access. I had a Roadtrip on my DP and even though it's a larger antenna, it also was directionally challenged. Wouldn't expect much better from a Trav'ler. Looking for suggestions.

2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:52 PM   #2

THOR #22586
I'm surprised that after 2 days searching, no one has found a cable TV connection for their satellite antenna.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 07-29-2021, 03:09 AM   #3

Model: freedom elite 24he
THOR #21327
Youre living in the past. Nobody used Dish or cable anymore.

Get a cellular router and smart apps for your TV. Like roku or stream from a tablet. Overall more versatile and similar if not cheaper than dish. Works everywhere and trees don't matter. You'll also have internet for other devices as well.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:07 AM   #4

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoefromGa View Post
Youre living in the past. Nobody used Dish or cable anymore.

Get a cellular router and smart apps for your TV. Like roku or stream from a tablet. Overall more versatile and similar if not cheaper than dish. Works everywhere and trees don't matter. You'll also have internet for other devices as well.
In other words you don't know, thanks. Some places believe it or not, don't have internet, phone service or a reliable one.

Let me add to my comments, a bit more civil this time. TV isn't a big focus for us and in our opinion largely a vast waste land. Fall Saturday football games probably generate the most interest for us. I so distrust the "news" that we watch very little of the propaganda that's broadcast. I dislike movies that preach to me their social agenda, regardless of the side of the aisle. Having the satellite access would be nice but not essential. I just don't know where on this motorhome the "shore connection" for satellite is. Maybe there isn't one which might follow the Thor practice of poor quality.

There is a cable TV connection by the shore power connection. Coax. But that goes to a splitter mixed with the OTA antenna and on the TV you select air or cable. To use it with satellite would require disconnecting the coax someplace in the cabinet and connecting to the receiver. Lastly Thor didn't put smart TVs in this so using some of those services, Netflix, roku, etc. isn't possible. Yep, Thor cheaped out again.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 11-12-2021, 12:37 PM   #5

Model: Tuscany
State: Florida
THOR #23295
I am in the process of connecting DISH in our 34st. So far I have not found any coax cable in place that goes from the front entertainment box to the bedroom TV splitter, which of course controls the bedroom and outside TV.

Am I wasting time looking for the coax? Did Thor actually produce a Tuscany with the bedroom and outside TV without connectivity?

Do I need to run a coax? If you ran a new coax what route did you take?
Old 11-12-2021, 03:10 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wythe58 View Post
I am in the process of connecting DISH in our 34st. So far I have not found any coax cable in place that goes from the front entertainment box to the bedroom TV splitter, which of course controls the bedroom and outside TV.

Am I wasting time looking for the coax? Did Thor actually produce a Tuscany with the bedroom and outside TV without connectivity?

Do I need to run a coax? If you ran a new coax what route did you take?
It is not all that hard to use the coax that is there and then go wireless from receiver. First of all, you need to find the splitter which is usually just behind the terrestrial antenna connection plate. The Thor MC installed splitter needs to the replaced with one that can pass DC current supplied by the receiver. From the red terminal of the splitter you need to run a new section of RG-6 coax to the receiver. I am a DirecTV guy and use a genie 2 receiver (Hs-17). From the genie 2 it is all wireless to the TVs. Some where in the coach will be a bundle of HDMI cables that go to every TV. You could locate a wireless client there and deliver the video by HDMI to the TV. Dish equivalents are the Hopper and joey.
Pictures is the green label splitter with the red terminal made for sat TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SPLIT4MRV_1.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	34760  
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote