Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2015, 02:47 AM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Windsport 27K
State: Virginia
THOR #2314
Regarding the Jensen 212 dash unit, I purchased a new Windsport in July. The 212 was bad upon delivery - display "buttons" mostly non-responsive. The dealer ordered a replacement which was promptly delivered and installed by me. The new 212 worked perfectly for several weeks until I had to leave the Windsport at the dealer for a Kwikee Step problem. When I picked up the unit after the step repair, the 212 began acting up - intermittently not responsive and blank display. I suspect this was caused by the techs disconnecting the chassis battery when working on the steps - although it shouldn't have. The dealer ordered me yet another 212 which - out of the box - was quirky and non-responsive but only sometimes. Weird! The dealer was getting ready to order another 212 when I mentioned the 215 - how I read on this forum that the 215 seemed to be more reliable (thank you Jamie) and offered several more features. The dealer rep called Thor who agreed to send a 215 as replacement for my 212 - at no additional charge. I don't have it my hands yet but it all sounds promising. Will post here when I install the 215 and road test it.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:55 AM   #62

THOR #2314
Following up on my previous entry, I received the JRV215N and adapter cable from my dealer. The installation was straightforward. The main connector for the 212 unit plugs directly into the adapter cable. The video cables for the cameras and associated triggers are contained in one harness that plugs in separate from the main connector. Also, new connections for GPS antenna and Bluetooth microphone. There is a single wire that must be connected to the parking brake switch - or grounded - in order to enable DVD viewing. I mounted the GPS antenna under the dash and received nothing but full signal status on my test drive. I mounted the mic through a switch "blank" on the lower dash next to other toggle switches ("Cab Light", "Gen Start", etc.). The 215 fit in the opening nicely and comes with two different size bezels to finish the installation.
Powered the 215 unit and it became evident quickly that it is a multi-generational jump over its predecessor. All the functions worked perfectly and restored some of my faith in Jensen. The screens are brilliantly lit, intuitive, and quickly responsive. The Navigator is quicker than my frumpy Good Sam/Rand McNally unit with many more features.
I'm recommending the 215 with top marks in all categories - durability being the only concern.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:24 PM   #63

State: Tennessee
THOR #3154
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
FM/AM: Yes it was the same plug as the 212; I just unplugged it and plugged it into the 215.

Ground? Its kind of necessary?
I got my speakers working after days on/off of trouble shooting - 1 wrong wire connected! Thanks for your help!
Old 11-17-2015, 10:25 PM   #64

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #3251
So where can the pigtail31300152 be purchased if it is still necessary?
Great thread....I've gone through 212's.....
Old 11-17-2015, 10:42 PM   #65

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
Thor sent me a replacement 215N for my defective 212 along with a newly released harness etc. it was pretty simple. Pull the old metal cage, install new cage. Plug in the old wires, exact fits, and push in new radio and turn on it works. All 3 cameras, GPS etc. happy happy!

Send old radio back to Thor. Thank you Thor and JamieGreek for mental support.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:38 PM   #66

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
Thor sent me a replacement 215N for my defective 212 along with a newly released harness etc. it was pretty simple. Pull the old metal cage, install new cage. Plug in the old wires, exact fits, and push in new radio and turn on it works. All 3 cameras, GPS etc. happy happy!

Send old radio back to Thor. Thank you Thor and JamieGreek for mental support.

That's odd. Thor never used the 215N in any production motorhomes. They switched over to the Axxerra brand and stopped using the Jensen 212N.

How did you finagle Thor to provide you with a radio that they never actually stocked?
Old 11-17-2015, 11:56 PM   #67

State: Tennessee
THOR #3154
My 2015 Thor Miramar came w/the Jensen 212. When the screen went blank Thor sent me the 215 for replacement & surprising my coach had been out of warranty ~2 months. Maybe Thor had so many complaints w/the 212 is the reason? Anyway the 215 is much better, so far!
Old 11-18-2015, 12:07 AM   #68

THOR #3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
That's odd. Thor never used the 215N in any production motorhomes. They switched over to the Axxerra brand and stopped using the Jensen 212N.

How did you finagle Thor to provide you with a radio that they never actually stocked?
That's what they sent!
Old 11-18-2015, 12:19 AM   #69

THOR #2314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post

Good question, Beacher. My dealer ordered the 215 from Thor but the return address on the box was a Forest River warehouse in Elkhardt. Go figure!
Old 11-18-2015, 03:21 AM   #70
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
It is possible that it is easier/cheaper to warranty a 212 with a 215 than it is to ship the Axxerra--perhaps there are too many design changes to get the Axxerra to fit where the 212 was.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:29 PM   #71

THOR #3186
Either that or they want to keep a more established band.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:47 AM   #72

Model: Palazzo
THOR #2248
Well I have been following this thread with interest and had it on a "might do" list. However, last week after using the "store" switch for the first time for several days the 212NT will not come on at all. The only fuse I found was in the 12vdc fuse panel next to the 120vac panel and it was good - tested it visually and with a multi-meter.
So I am well out of warranty and Thor helped with a recent Schwintek slide issue they were not obligated to do so I don't feel like pushing for the radio.
So I looked at the link in Jamie's first post and found the radio. But nowhere else, including Jensen! That seems odd and brings up more questions - is this so new it is in limited distribution or so old it is limited availability! Will Jensen honor the warranty, whatever it may be? At %600+ I would like to be comfortable biuying it rather then just clinching my teeth and closing my eyes!
Anybody have any additional info??
Thanx!!
Old 11-26-2015, 11:29 AM   #73
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ournextstop
So I looked at the link in Jamie's first post and found the radio. But nowhere else, including Jensen! That seems odd and brings up more questions - is this so new it is in limited distribution or so old it is limited availability! Will Jensen honor the warranty, whatever it may be? At %600+ I would like to be comfortable biuying it rather then just clinching my teeth and closing my eyes!
Anybody have any additional info??
That was my assessment as well: Couldn't find it anywhere else but that link (which is why I posted that link). I don't think its that new that it isn't anywhere else (especially now that the thread is almost a year old).
I figured that the radio was available only to OEM RV manufacturer's and this was the only place that was selling them. That or there simply isn't that much of a market for aftermarket RV stereos and thus only one place sells them because no one else thinks they can make any $$ off of them.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:39 PM   #74

THOR #2248
Thanx, Jamie. I have asked Jensen also, we will see what they say. Regardless, it looks like all things considered, this is the best solution; easy R&R with camera hookups plus some enhancements.
And with your thread to help guidance it ought to be easy!!
Happy T-day!
Old 11-26-2015, 02:36 PM   #75

THOR #2314
I'll chime in here regarding the failure of your JRV212 dash unit. I went through three 212's before installing the 215. The problems with the 212 units, for me, were twofold - either the display "buttons" were too difficult to operate or the unit would blank out. In either case, resetting the unit completely usually cures things - at least for awhile. The 212 gets power from two sources - (1) the chassis battery which provides behind-the-scenes 12 VDC to maintain the clock and preset configuration and (2) the coach battery(s) which actually operate the unit's functions. To completely reset the unit you should place the "Run/Store" switch in the 'Store" position AND remove the cable from the negative terminal of your chassis battery for 30 seconds or so. This may help kickstart your 212 back into action.

As for the 215, if you opt to buy it have Jensen include the JRV212/JRV215 adapter harness. It nicely plugs into the big power/speaker plug behind your dash and then into the 215. There is a second included adapter harness for the cameras and triggers. Then, single connections for the AM/FM antenna, GPS antenna, and Bluetooth microphone. That's it.

Good luck!
Old 11-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #76
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runeasy View Post
Good question, Beacher. My dealer ordered the 215 from Thor but the return address on the box was a Forest River warehouse in Elkhardt. Go figure!
That's interesting because the Forest Rivers I looked at and the one I owned prior to the Thor all used Magnadyne radios with built in GPS. The radio in my outdoor entertainment center was a Jensen as were all the 12V televisions.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:47 PM   #77

THOR #2248
Runeasy suggested the following!
Quote:
To completely reset the unit you should place the "Run/Store" switch in the 'Store" position AND remove the cable from the negative terminal of your chassis battery for 30 seconds or so. This may help kickstart your 212 back into action.
Thanx! I tried your technique and it is working again, for now. I can put the replacement off to a more convenient time,

Also, last week I had e-mailed customer support at Jensen and got the following reply from Jennifer Moon, customer service Rep today
Quote:
The replacement for the JRV212T is the JRV215NR. It is the same size and is a direct replacement. The warranty is 1 year on this product. We just recently made it available to our distributors, so the retail market is just starting to get familiar with it. It will be easier to get as time goes on. The radio is available from our distributirs such as Camping World, Coast Distribution, and NTP Stag Parkway.
That seems to answer some questions mentioned in previous posts!
Old 12-21-2015, 07:08 PM   #78

Model: 30.2 Ace
State: Georgia
THOR #3397
Quote:
Originally Posted by timp410 View Post
Outstanding Jamie, thanks again for your help.
Thor Wiring harness' work for both radio's?
Old 12-21-2015, 08:01 PM   #79
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
In my case the plug to the 212 was different from the plug to the 215 so I just cut off the 212 plug and wired in the 215 plug. It was pretty straightforward matching colors to the diagrams in each manual.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:07 PM   #80

THOR #2314
Jensen has since made available an adapter harness - plug one end into the vehicle's existing (212) harness and the other end into the 215. Works great - no splicing required.