Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2019, 03:18 PM   #4581

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Florida
THOR #2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
Hello my fellow RVers!!! Another mod has bitten the dust! I installed a dimmer switch for the main ceiling lights today. I will post pictures with annotations. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and we will find the solution together!!

This is the link to amazon and the dimmer switch:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just happened upon your dimmer switch issue and thought I'd chime in. Not sure if your ceiling lights are LED, but if so then a regular variable-resistor type of dimmer won't work well. LED's generally need PWM (pulse-width-modulation) dimming circuits to work with them.

Not saying this is THE dimmer switch you need, but certainly this is the right type to use. Would need to evaluate the current load for the string of lights you're dimming.

Just an idea; hope it might help someone. Here's a link for an example of a LED dimmer:

https://www.amazon.com/Facon-12Volt-...NNGVGCFYX&th=1

Old 12-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #4582

State: Georgia
THOR #11774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habu77 View Post
Hi Dave,
I live near Atlanta also (north of the perimeter). I too, have benefited greatly from Jerry's mods and pictures.

Terry

Terry,

I also live north of Atlanta (Marietta).

My 29M lives mainly on Hilton Head Island.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #4583

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Georgia
THOR #9751
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.irwin.59@gmail.com View Post
Terry,

I also live north of Atlanta (Marietta).

My 29M lives mainly on Hilton Head Island.
Me and the DW: Dawsonville. The Hurricane lives in the yard with us.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:44 PM   #4584

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
Hydro protection

I had to replace a hydraulic hose because of a rock hit on the pass side jack so I decided to add some protection.
It's pretty basic a piece of aluminum sign bend and bolted to the frame. I'll probably paint it black when it warms up.

I used existing holes in the frame. The hole in the sign is at the bottom of the shield.
I doubt it will hold up to a tire blow out, but I'm not sure what would
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191209_160622.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	21821  
Old 12-13-2019, 06:42 PM   #4585

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHook View Post
I had to replace a hydraulic hose because of a rock hit on the pass side jack so I decided to add some protection.

It's pretty basic a piece of aluminum sign bend and bolted to the frame. I'll probably paint it black when it warms up.

I used existing holes in the frame. The hole in the sign is at the bottom of the shield.

I doubt it will hold up to a tire blow out, but I'm not sure what would
Good fix. How do you know a rock hit it?

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:36 AM   #4586

THOR #13360
Jerry just a guess, it had to be something small since there wasn't much showing on the side that got hit. That was the mechanic's thought and the wrecker driver too
Old 12-14-2019, 11:49 AM   #4587

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
Just happened upon your dimmer switch issue and thought I'd chime in. Not sure if your ceiling lights are LED, but if so then a regular variable-resistor type of dimmer won't work well. LED's generally need PWM (pulse-width-modulation) dimming circuits to work with them.

Not saying this is THE dimmer switch you need, but certainly this is the right type to use. Would need to evaluate the current load for the string of lights you're dimming.

Just an idea; hope it might help someone. Here's a link for an example of a LED dimmer:

https://www.amazon.com/Facon-12Volt-...NNGVGCFYX&th=1

Right on Tom!!

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 12:26 PM   #4588

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHook View Post
Jerry just a guess, it had to be something small since there wasn't much showing on the side that got hit. That was the mechanic's thought and the wrecker driver too
Got it and it's a good fix for that

Was asking because several people had the front driver side hose leak because it rubbed on the frame. Was wondering if that was possibly your cause.

I checked my hoses and they are good. I zip tied the driver front to hopefully prevent this problem

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 12-14-2019, 02:10 PM   #4589

THOR #13360
Jerry, The drivers side has a lot more hose exposed than the Passenger side. I got hit on the passenger side the fitting. With both covered hopefully short of a tire everything is covered.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:20 AM   #4590

Model: Hurican 34P
State: Maryland
THOR #17588
Wow, is all I can say so far. You guys are great on this forum. I am currently on page 113 (your going to cost me a bunch of money). I have been on a bunch of Harley forums and nothing like this. So, we sold our 2002 27-foot Dutchman (class c), that had a Quigley 4x4 conversion and just bought a used 2018 Hurricane 34P that had 5,600 miles on it. From Sonny’s in Greenville SC…. Our voyage home was 10 hours about 543 miles to Ocean City MD area. We learned a lot on the trip home, also a few things that need to be fixed. Tomorrow it will go into the shop to have the windshield re-set. There was a ton of wind noise, when my wife pushed on the window it moves. Dealer will pay local windshield company to fix. I guess it was either from factory or dealer never checked. Thank you for all I have learned so far. I have a check list of things to check or double check. Just wanted to quickly introduce myself. I am off during the holidays, so hopefully I will get finished reading this whole post.
Thanks Bradley - Cakeman
Old 12-23-2019, 12:28 AM   #4591

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
I thought I would get through all of the mods... I gave up haha.

Welcome to the Thor friends and family. I have been here just over a year. These are the best people you have ever been around. Any question is fine and most of the time the info is great.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:36 AM   #4592

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeman View Post
Wow, is all I can say so far. You guys are great on this forum. I am currently on page 113 (your going to cost me a bunch of money). I have been on a bunch of Harley forums and nothing like this. So, we sold our 2002 27-foot Dutchman (class c), that had a Quigley 4x4 conversion and just bought a used 2018 Hurricane 34P that had 5,600 miles on it. From Sonny’s in Greenville SC…. Our voyage home was 10 hours about 543 miles to Ocean City MD area. We learned a lot on the trip home, also a few things that need to be fixed. Tomorrow it will go into the shop to have the windshield re-set. There was a ton of wind noise, when my wife pushed on the window it moves. Dealer will pay local windshield company to fix. I guess it was either from factory or dealer never checked. Thank you for all I have learned so far. I have a check list of things to check or double check. Just wanted to quickly introduce myself. I am off during the holidays, so hopefully I will get finished reading this whole post.

Thanks Bradley - Cakeman
A baker and fisherman my kind of guy. Welcome. And I like helping people spend their money.

JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	20191121_132508(0).jpg
Views:	120
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	21912Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010453.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	21913Click image for larger version

Name:	20190929_174318.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	21914Click image for larger version

Name:	20170628_104245.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	21915
FMCA # F464385
Old 12-23-2019, 09:21 AM   #4593

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Cakeman, Welcome to the forum, glad you found us!!! If you read all 230 pages of Jerry’s Hurricane mods you’re going to be broke! Lots of good ideas from some super nice, smart, and innovative people to keep you entertained! Enjoy!
Old 12-23-2019, 06:33 PM   #4594

THOR #17588
Thanks for the welcome.... Nice tuna and dam... wood fired pizza.... Here is our first 4x4 (The Blue Whale 74 Winnie) and then the Dutch class c 4x4 and those are wild ponies at assateague island. We do a lot of surf fishing also....You must have 4x4 to get out on this beach... We are going to miss, but not miss it... well and a few baked goods from a recent seminar I did. I think I uploaded correctly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Blue Whale.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	21918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dutch1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	21919  

Name:	IMG_4723.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	21920   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9357.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	21921  

Old 12-23-2019, 09:52 PM   #4595

THOR #2757
Quote:
Thanks for the welcome.... Nice tuna and dam... wood fired pizza.... Here is our first 4x4 (The Blue Whale 74 Winnie) and then the Dutch class c 4x4 and those are wild ponies at assateague island. We do a lot of surf fishing also....You must have 4x4 to get out on this beach... We are going to miss, but not miss it... well and a few baked goods from a recent seminar I did. I think I uploaded correctly.
Welcome to the family Cakeman...Happy Holidays!!

Old 12-24-2019, 08:42 AM   #4596

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
Myra and I want to wish all of our great friends here a SAFE and Merry Christmas wherever you may be!!! Please remember our service men and women and the men and women in Blue, a lot of them won’t have the luxury of having Christmas with their families, they will be protecting us!!!

We are headed to the in-laws for a couple of days, I’m fortunate to have a fantastic mother-in-law that I love dearly!

Our best to everyone!
Old 12-24-2019, 11:49 AM   #4597

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Myra and I want to wish all of our great friends here a SAFE and Merry Christmas wherever you may be!!! Please remember our service men and women and the men and women in Blue, a lot of them won’t have the luxury of having Christmas with their families, they will be protecting us!!!

We are headed to the in-laws for a couple of days, I’m fortunate to have a fantastic mother-in-law that I love dearly!

Our best to everyone!

Old 12-24-2019, 03:08 PM   #4598

THOR #3156
Merry Christmas Dave. Be safe travelling and say hi to Myra for me.

And Merry Christmas to everyone that follows this post. Be safe and have a happy New Year.

Hopefully some of us can meet this year.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 12-26-2019, 01:04 PM   #4599

THOR #17588
Headlight Buzzer/Alert

So, I’ve made it to page 146… wow… thank you again as it’s not just the mods… it’s all the stupid little things Thor didn’t do right… That you guys point out…. so many notes and the list of things to check. This may be worst than owning a shovelhead…. Maybe I haven’t gotten to it yet… I noticed my headlights don’t come on and off with ignition, so very easy to leave them on all the time and kill the battery. Has anyone wired a buzzer or alert of some type so not to forget you left the headlights on? If so, can you point me to the forum page link and maybe what you bought on amazon? Hope everyone had a great Christmas. I always take off between Christmas and new years since the bakeries are so slow. Lots of time to tweak the RV. It’s supposed to be between 40-50 the next few days 😊 😊
Old 12-26-2019, 01:35 PM   #4600

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
So, I’ve made it to page 146… wow… thank you again as it’s not just the mods… it’s all the stupid little things Thor didn’t do right… That you guys point out…. so many notes and the list of things to check. This may be worst than owning a shovelhead…. Maybe I haven’t gotten to it yet… I noticed my headlights don’t come on and off with ignition, so very easy to leave them on all the time and kill the battery. Has anyone wired a buzzer or alert of some type so not to forget you left the headlights on? If so, can you point me to the forum page link and maybe what you bought on amazon? Hope everyone had a great Christmas. I always take off between Christmas and new years since the bakeries are so slow. Lots of time to tweak the RV. It’s supposed to be between 40-50 the next few days [emoji4] [emoji4]

I’ve done that mod on several coaches now. About $10 for a buzzer and a relay from Amazon. I have used the heated mirror switch for both the lights on and ignition switched power. Interestingly I couldn’t remember ever actually using the buzzer in practice so I’ve not done it on my current coach. Probably means I’m destined for a problem one of these days!