Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2019, 04:29 PM   #4421

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Jerry, are you going to have to remove the cover every time you want to exercise the generator?

Old 07-15-2019, 04:46 PM   #4422

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
Jerry, are you going to have to remove the cover every time you want to exercise the generator?
Was thinking about that last night. Can't run ac with cover on Gen needs to run with a load. So maybe I'll plug in a hair dryer or heat gun. My EMS will tell me the amp pulled. Not sure how many amps. 12 to 15 I'm guessing. Thata about what the ac pulls

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #4423

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Was thinking about that last night. Can't run ac with cover on Gen needs to run with a load. So maybe I'll plug in a hair dryer or heat gun. My EMS will tell me the amp pulled. Not sure how many amps. 12 to 15 I'm guessing. Thata about what the ac pulls

Jerry

Maybe the hot water heater?
Old 07-15-2019, 05:44 PM   #4424

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
I have a 1500 watt space heater that I plug in for the load. Of course most of the time when I'm exercising the generator I'm in storage during the winter and actually need the heat. If the weather is warm, you can aways plug the heater into the exterior outlet.

While in storage, I also run the ACE's engine with the heat on fully so I get circulation through the heater core. With the engine heater and the space heater it can get real toasty even when it's winter outside.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:20 PM   #4425

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
You use a milk crate wedged(or sat on one of those foldable footstool) between the cover and the generator door to act as an air cushion and plug a 1500w $12 milk house heater into an exterior outlet. The heater and stool stores in the milk crate. Or use a green fiberglas landscape pole to lift the cover high enough to suit you. (I used a crate)
The milk crate lives on the ground under the generator.
It's a solid one minute to set up and another to dismantle.

I also had a handy dandy crane that attached to my ladder. It allowed me to get the cover on the roof by myself.
I can't exactly tell by the picture you posted, but a harbor freight $100 truck crane might fit on the eave of your house.....

I hated it all... Every second of wrestling that 200lb bear, determined to trip and engulf me, 12 ft off the ground, while blindly dodging the vents and solar and ac and antennas.

If you have anything sharp, corners on solar, a poking bolt, the winds in the first month will shred your cover. I had to make silicone(fifty percent type one silicone and fifty percent cornstarch. Mix well. It hardens to a shoe sole hardness) ) corners and caps for EVERYTHING. Luckily we owned a 33inch throat sail making singer. 10,000 stitches and fifteen sewn in pads later, it STILL tried to whoop me every time I covered/uncovered.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:30 PM   #4426

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
You use a milk crate wedged(or sat on one of those foldable footstool) between the cover and the generator door to act as an air cushion and plug a 1500w $12 milk house heater into an exterior outlet. The heater and stool stores in the milk crate. Or use a green fiberglas landscape pole to lift the cover high enough to suit you. (I used a crate)
The milk crate lives on the ground under the generator.
It's a solid one minute to set up and another to dismantle.

I also had a handy dandy crane that attached to my ladder. It allowed me to get the cover on the roof by myself.
I can't exactly tell by the picture you posted, but a harbor freight $100 truck crane might fit on the eave of your house.....

I hated it all... Every second of wrestling that 200lb bear, determined to trip and engulf me, 12 ft off the ground, while blindly dodging the vents and solar and ac and antennas.

If you have anything sharp, corners on solar, a poking bolt, the winds in the first month will shred your cover. I had to make silicone(fifty percent type one silicone and fifty percent cornstarch. Mix well. It hardens to a shoe sole hardness) ) corners and caps for EVERYTHING. Luckily we owned a 33inch throat sail making singer. 10,000 stitches and fifteen sewn in pads later, it STILL tried to whoop me every time I covered/uncovered.
To get it on the roof I unrolled it by the ladder. Grabbed the front and pull it up with me. Once on top I pulled the rest of the cover up Yes it was a pain. Mainly because of the 85* heat pounding on my head. I put pool noodles on all sharp areas.. time will tell on longevity.Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-15-2019, 07:32 PM   #4427

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
I have a 1500 watt space heater that I plug in for the load. Of course most of the time when I'm exercising the generator I'm in storage during the winter and actually need the heat. If the weather is warm, you can aways plug the heater into the exterior outlet.

While in storage, I also run the ACE's engine with the heat on fully so I get circulation through the heater core. With the engine heater and the space heater it can get real toasty even when it's winter outside.
Dont have any heaters. Not needed in so cal. Ill have to play a round with a few things until I find what works

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-17-2019, 09:58 PM   #4428

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Quote:
Kind of hot here in so cal but it was time to dicor up the roof. Did the front and rear caps, vents and sky light. Used 6 tubes

Now I have to silicone a few things on the sides. Also check for openings in the water heater and fridge vents

After that I think a soak in the pool

JerryAttachment 18918Attachment 18919Attachment 18920Attachment 18921Attachment 18922Attachment 18923Attachment 18924

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:02 PM   #4429

THOR #2757
Quote:
Well I think I made a big mistake. Bought a cover for the mh

Was a bitch to put on by myself. Hopefully when I remove it I'll fold it better to make it easier to put back on. Factory folding was tucked in side.

Needed the cover as the decals were starting to fade and crack

Time well tell if it was worth buying

JerryAttachment 18943Attachment 18944

Old 07-18-2019, 12:46 AM   #4430

THOR #3156
Found a broken screw on the bottom ladder bracket. These ladders sure are cheap but I'll blame the problem on my big stomach.

Dave, Sundance, came over to do a somewhat quick fix. We decided screws were not the correct fasteners. So off to home depot for bolts, big area washers, and locking nuts

We didn't change all of them. We did three where the broken screw was and two on the other. We feel it much better and the bracket is stronger

I decided not to use the ladder any more. When I need to climb up I'll use my little giant ladder and rest it on the mh ladder. That way I can still use the top of the ladder to get on and off with no weight on the mh ladder

No pics. Sorry

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #4431

THOR #2757
Quote:
Found a broken screw on the bottom ladder bracket. These ladders sure are cheap but I'll blame the problem on my big stomach.

Dave, Sundance, came over to do a somewhat quick fix. We decided screws were not the correct fasteners. So off to home depot for bolts, big area washers, and locking nuts

We didn't change all of them. We did three where the broken screw was and two on the other. We feel it much better and the bracket is stronger

I decided not to use the ladder any more. When I need to climb up I'll use my little giant ladder and rest it on the mh ladder. That way I can still use the top of the ladder to get on and off with no weight on the mh ladder

No pics. Sorry

Jerry

Old 07-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #4432

THOR #14120
Dino, I thought someone said that “without pictures it didn’t happen “. Do I have that right?
Old 07-18-2019, 01:55 PM   #4433

State: Arizona
THOR #7580
Been reading a lot about ladders lately. Decided to check ours out. On our Challenger, there are reinforcement blocks under the mh designed for the ladder screws. None of the screws were inserted into the blocks. No longer trust the ladder, use a separate folding ladder.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #4434

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford View Post
Been reading a lot about ladders lately. Decided to check ours out. On our Challenger, there are reinforcement blocks under the mh designed for the ladder screws. None of the screws were inserted into the blocks. No longer trust the ladder, use a separate folding ladder.
That's what's on mine. 1" wood blocks fiberglass to the end cap. Only problem two screws into the block and two below the block

Plus the ladder isn't real strong imo. I think they could be made much better

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-20-2019, 02:32 PM   #4435

Model: A.C.E.
State: Indiana
THOR #10627
OK, I’ve got a bizarre issue I’d like to solve, although it’s not a critical problem. At a campground with cable, watching the news. My wife uses the bathroom turns on the exhaust fan and the cable tv picture freezes. It happens on every tv everytime. It’s cable related because a feed into the HDMI port is unaffected. The only thing I can figure is that the 12 volt DC to the fan may be wrapped around the main coax cable and when you turn on the fan you get inductive effects scrambling the signal. Anyone else have this issue...?
Old 07-20-2019, 02:53 PM   #4436

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
The fan is generating RF and that is interfering with the TV signal. We have the same problem, though it doesn't freeze the picture, it affects the sound and the clarity of the signal. We have been living with it since we purchased the RV.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:57 PM   #4437

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
No Teckie here but can't you get one of those Lifesaver looking things that they use on computers to kill the Rf noise. They look like a small donut that the wires run thru. Maybe I'm all wet here, wouldn't be the 1st time
Old 07-20-2019, 07:09 PM   #4438

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Those are ferrite beads.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:01 PM   #4439

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
Dino, I thought someone said that “without pictures it didn’t happen “. Do I have that right?
Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmm...LOL

Old 08-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #4440

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #4305
This is a very useful thread

We bought a 2017 Hurricane 29M a few weeks ago and yes, the polarity of the charging station feed wires was reversed. We have low flow in the aerator section of the kitchen pull down head (full flow in spray nozzles). Aerator is non removable and it appears the head is too. Has anyone removed the head?