Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2018, 12:27 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Just Ordered Solar Panels - Price is going up

I've been procrastinating about when to add a couple of permanent solar panels for the ACE. Today the big Cheeto made up my mind by slapping a 30% tariff on foreign panels.I ordered a couple of 100 watt flexible panels. I won't install them for a couple of months as its a bit cool in the Rockies right now.

I did install a Bogart SC-2030 earlier this year to go with my Trimetric monitor. Right now its hooked up to my portable 100 watt panels to keep the batteries charged in storage.

Not sure this is such a bad thing. Back in my ARCO days, we owned a solar panel company (yes an oil company had a solar business) in Kentucky that went under because they couldn't compete with the stuff coming out of Asia. That was also pretty early in the development of the solar industry.

The solar installers are going to take a hit as the price of solar will go up by probably 15% or so (half material, half labor). Time will only tell if the hit to the solar installation business has a more negative impact than the benefit to solar panel companies. The biggest remaining US companies are actually owned by Chinese and German interests so who is really going to get the benefits.

Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:16 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24HE
State: Florida
THOR #10225
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
I've been procrastinating about when to add a couple of permanent solar panels for the ACE. Today the big Cheeto made up my mind by slapping a 30% tariff on foreign panels.I ordered a couple of 100 watt flexible panels. I won't install them for a couple of months as its a bit cool in the Rockies right now.

I did install a Bogart SC-2030 earlier this year to go with my Trimetric monitor. Right now its hooked up to my portable 100 watt panels to keep the batteries charged in storage.

Not sure this is such a bad thing. Back in my ARCO days, we owned a solar panel company (yes an oil company had a solar business) in Kentucky that went under because they couldn't compete with the stuff coming out of Asia. That was also pretty early in the development of the solar industry.

The solar installers are going to take a hit as the price of solar will go up by probably 15% or so (half material, half labor). Time will only tell if the hit to the solar installation business has a more negative impact than the benefit to solar panel companies. The biggest remaining US companies are actually owned by Chinese and German interests so who is really going to get the benefits.
I saw that. I may have to do the same. That or get a coal-fired generator.