Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2016, 04:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1466
king Jack antenna install

I just installed a King Jack antenna on my Vegas. I wanted an antenna that did not need to raised or lowered manually. Forgot to lower it once and that was it for me. The Atwood reception was OK, but the convenience of a fixed antenna appealed to me for simplicity.
I re-used the existing power air/cable switch and it powers the King Jack just fine. Tho, the new antenna does come with its own splitter/power supply. The install was easy, the manual was adequate, and I did not need to enlarge the opening in the roof as the manual instructed. I used an entire tube of Dicor sealant for the install. The extension shaft provided for the directional control knob is not needed, as the roof is the right depth for the shaft.Be generous with the sealant. I found the whole process was not difficult, definitely worth the time and money, under $150.00 and the TV reception is excellent, bringing in a few more channels than the old Winegard antenna.
The first thing I did, however, was re-locate the antenna/power/splitter switch from the stupid location, way back in the top cabinet, where it cannot be seen. Besides, it is usually hidden by all the contents of the overhead cabinet. You need a step-stool to see and activate the switch. I moved the unit to the lower cabinet space by adding couplings and extra co-ax cables and power and ground wires to the existing wires. There are 3 coax cables to deal with and a 12 volt hot wire and ground. I did blow the fuse when working with these, and the fuse is located in the house panel in the exterior storage compartment beneath the drivers seat. The panel cover clearly indicates which fuse controls the antenna power switch.
Whoever decided to locate the antenna/cable switch in that cabinet needs to be slapped.
The LED signal strength indicator lights are quite bright, and may be too bright, may act as a night light in the dark. The 12 volt power for these lights comes through the co-ax cable. The antenna swivels easily to direct it to the strongest signals, and looks great. A vast improvement over a plastic handle protruding from the ceiling.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:46 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
David,

Can you post a couple of pictures?

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:16 PM   #3
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
our 2016 Axis 24.1 came with an antenna which does not raise or lower (yaaay)
...we have not been out on the road yet...so do not know how it will work out in the middle of Colorado..but in our driveway, we get great reception. k
Old 03-07-2016, 11:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I have one of those in a box. Was going to install it this year, but we no longer have the motorhome. So well keep it in case we need it some day for the 5er.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:10 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3306
How is the reception compared to the wineguard?
Old 08-27-2016, 07:06 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgebo View Post

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Whoever decided to locate the antenna/cable switch in that cabinet needs to be slapped.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Slapping may not do the job. the preamp/switch box is located in same location in our moho as yours.

I believe that the designer who decided where and how to mount it, should be locked in a similarly design RV for a week, and be required to report the status of the little green light every ten minutes. Of course a device would have to be designed to randomly turn that light on or off, but it would be worth it.

That antenna, but the model without the lights came stock on our 2017 Four Winds. I was wondering if I was missing something with the lights. We have the night light function covered with a clock that projects the time and outside temperature on the ceiling. (did not come with the moho.)

Ken
Old 08-27-2016, 09:56 PM   #7

THOR #1466
King Jack

We found, Jollyrogers, that the reception is superior to the Winegard antenna. It looks better, too. I have noticed recently, that many RV manufacturers are now providing King Jack antennas as original equipment. The elimination of all the mechanical parts associated with the crank-up Winegard is especially appealing, since there is just one moving part and no maintenance is required with the King Jack. That, plus factoring in the reasonable price, makes this install a good idea.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:10 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
our 2016 Axis 24.1 came with an antenna which does not raise or lower (yaaay)
...we have not been out on the road yet...so do not know how it will work out in the middle of Colorado..but in our driveway, we get great reception. k
So, how did it do in the middle of Colorado?

Mike
Old 08-28-2016, 01:21 AM   #9

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Can you post some pictures???

Inside and out for your recent improvement? How many hours required to install it?

Thank you so much, also on a scale of 1 to 5 how hard was the installation?

Thanks again...

Bob
Old 08-30-2016, 03:08 AM   #10
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
So, how did it do in the middle of Colorado?

Mike
Hi Mike ! So far good with new antenna. In June, we were in Cortez, CO for the night with good reception there...not deep in the Rockies, but we were on antenna only...at Lake Powell we did OK too.
We have been several other places with antenna only and get an abundance of free stations.
Ron is still, strongly, considering a dish. We do enjoy early morning and late night tv.
K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:26 AM   #11

THOR #4719
Our King antenna works great in the Puget Sound Basin. However we recently spent a few days at Grayland Beach State Park. I thought the TV was not working. However, I found out there is no longer any over the air TV in that area at all. There used to be some towers rebroadcasting Seattle stations, but they have all gone off the air due to the increased availability of cable. However I have never found cable in any public campground. TV is definitely not a big concern for our camping, but I'm beginning to wonder how much longer OTA TV will be available outside large metropolitan areas.

Ken
Old 09-21-2016, 04:19 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #1812
David-did you find you had to use the MB8100 mounting plate ? Just starting on the install in a few days- also on a Vegas - not planning on using one... Thanks for the post !
Old 09-22-2016, 12:01 AM   #13

THOR #1466
king jack install

Yes, Stan I did use the mounting plate. Worked well. I did use a generous amount of Dicor sealant around the screws, and where the instructions indicated. Don't try to smooth out the Dicor. That just makes a mess. Just let the sealant self-level as it is deigned to do.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:28 AM   #14
vkb

THOR #3510
[QUOTE=davidgebo;28464]I just installed a King Jack antenna on my Vegas.

Whoever decided to locate the antenna/cable switch in that cabinet needs to be slapped. /QUOTE]

"ain't that the truth" !!!! Obviously not a person who is interested in electronics...or camping !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:29 PM   #15

THOR #1812
Installed a Jack on my Vegas today - took about 2.5 hours. Mounted the antenna base directly to the roof- without the optional mounting plate, which worked well. Just sealed the unused holes from the removed Winegard. Everything worked when done - lost a few channels, but we are in a high reception area. I hope it is better in fringe areas.

Only issue was - the arrow on the inner knob was pointing 180 degrees from the pointy end of the antenna - which confounded me, since everything is keyed. Called the tech line, they told me the " front " of the antenna is actually the flat end - that is the end that captures the signal. Go figure ! Sort of a reverse arrow ....
Old 09-23-2016, 01:04 AM   #16

THOR #4719
It all depends on what you call the pointy end. Generally speaking the small end of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan fowler View Post
Installed a Jack on my Vegas today - took about 2.5 hours. Mounted the antenna base directly to the roof- without the optional mounting plate, which worked well. Just sealed the unused holes from the removed Winegard. Everything worked when done - lost a few channels, but we are in a high reception area. I hope it is better in fringe areas.

Only issue was - the arrow on the inner knob was pointing 180 degrees from the pointy end of the antenna - which confounded me, since everything is keyed. Called the tech line, they told me the " front " of the antenna is actually the flat end - that is the end that captures the signal. Go figure ! Sort of a reverse arrow ....
It all depends on what you call the pointy end. Generally speaking the small end of an unidirectional antenna will point toward the signal source. However, I can see why it looks confusing on the antenna. I'm guessing the point on the what looks like the arrow head may just be styling. I'd have to see an X-ray of it to be sure.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:12 PM   #17

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgebo View Post
We found, Jollyrogers, that the reception is superior to the Winegard antenna. It looks better, too. I have noticed recently, that many RV manufacturers are now providing King Jack antennas as original equipment. The elimination of all the mechanical parts associated with the crank-up Winegard is especially appealing, since there is just one moving part and no maintenance is required with the King Jack. That, plus factoring in the reasonable price, makes this install a good idea.
Can you measure the distance that the control knob comes down from the ceiling? I want to install one in my 30.1. My tv is mounted on the cabinet door and swings open right where the antenna crank is.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:49 AM   #18

THOR #1812
The control knob is 2 inches below the ceiling.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:15 AM   #19

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan fowler View Post
The control knob is 2 inches below the ceiling.
Thanks. I have 3 so it will work
Old 10-25-2016, 01:54 AM   #20

Model: Four Winds Hurricane
State: New Jersey
THOR #4899
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
I have one of those in a box. Was going to install it this year, but we no longer have the motorhome. So well keep it in case we need it some day for the 5er.
Still have it? Want to sell it?