Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2019, 11:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #2408
King Tailgater vrs Winegard G3

Planning on putting a DISH satellite system into my ACE. Debating between the King Tailgater (VQ4900) and Wingard (GM9000) Carryout G3. Will probably be doing a permanent mount on the roof.

Any thoughts on which one works best? The reviews on both seem to be either a one star or a five star, not much in between.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:49 PM   #2

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
I have never used the wineguard unit, but we have two tailgaters. One we have had for maybe 10 years, the other only a year. They both work great. hook them up and they find the birds. All in HD. We sometimes use both at the same time on the Aria so we can watch different programming on different TV's with both receivers. Have never had a negative experience with either one.
Mike
Old 01-07-2019, 12:46 AM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yep, no Winegard experience here, just the KingTailgater2, which works great...

btw, maybe DON'T permanently mount it on the roof, but just provide a place or temporary mount for it to 'ride' there...but giving you the option of moving it somewhere else on the roof(with additional coax) or down onto the ground...you WILL need that because ultimately you'll not always be in the 'line of sight' of all three sats due to trees, shade, buildings, mountains, etc.
Mine rides and stores on the rear of the roof, with about 20' of extra coax that I wrap around the rear a/c unit cowling, for when I need to move it on the roof, or down the ground close by. I also, of course, carry MUCH more coax for those times when a run of 100' or more are needed, in order to get the unit somewhere in view of the sat(s).

It's a great machine, and how it works is always a wonder, but it does, and that's really what matters.
Don't worry about any 'tripod' for the ground, or even worry about theft - I see folks having theirs tied down with chains, right next to their RV door, as though 'satellite' thieves are lurking everywhere.... NOT!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:28 AM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #2408
Thanks for all of the information. I plan on using the Quick Release Roof Mount so will have the option to move it if necessary. Haven't decided how to handle the extra cabling yet. Any concern about the extra length degrading the signal strength?
Old 01-07-2019, 03:35 AM   #5

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
I failed to mention that we use ours to supplement our traveler dish. We use 50 or 100 feet of cable to get around trees. No issues getting a clear picture.