Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2017, 07:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
LED dash lamps

I bought a set of white LED dash bulbs to change out the stock dimmest of the dim dash bulbs. I checked the ease of installation and it looks simple, I hope. Just remove the dash cover on top and the whole assembly is visible and accessible. Even the bulb holders are right there, just need to twist out and replace. Will do it this week and see what I get. The new bulbs are 20 lumen T’4’s.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:00 AM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Please, oh please, tell us this works! Every RV I’ve ever driven has impossible to see instruments in the daylight. I assume that’s the problem you are trying to solve as well?
Old 10-30-2017, 03:06 AM   #3

THOR #3186
Yes it is! I think I will go down the hill tomorrow while it is nice.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:17 AM   #4

THOR #3186
So I went down the hill to the RV and took the dash cover off and pulled all the dash light bulbs out. The are size 37 bulbs in a T5 socket. All the same. The bulbs I ordered were 3LED 19 LUMEN, but they sent green instead of white. They do fit nicely but.... the engine temp and trans temp were still to dim. I’m not sure I had the polarity right. The speedo was fine for a change.

The Manual says there are 16 37’s and 5 194’s in the coach. I bought some more bulbs today to test what fits and where. I also dropped one bulb and socket so I ordered a half dozen sockets.

The bulb sits in the socket and the sockect then twists in and out of the dash panel. There were 10 bulbs in total. I can also get a higher lumen 194 so I bought some to see if they would fit. I also ordered a couple of different size 37 LED’s. To see if there would be a difference.

So till next report, hold on.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:24 AM   #5

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Okay Forrest, I'll bite...where are you ordering these from. I spent a couple of hours trying to find lamp sizes and LED equivalents. Ebay and even Amazon have offerings but getting any clarity for what I need for an Axis, E-450 or E-350 hasn't been cut and dried. Boosting the lumens sounds great! TIA
Old 10-31-2017, 05:28 PM   #6

THOR #3186
Most ford products take the same bulbs. Size 37 seems to be the main bulb. I have ordered from three different sources. I am trying to get the brightest bulb for that size and also to see if the larger 194’s will fit. Once I find a quality bulb from a quality source I will post all the necessary information.

Most of them are pretty inexpensive so I get to experiment. Some are quite expensive. Some won’t dim and some will.

One source I like is super bright leds.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:12 PM   #7

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
I'm watching this one

You're right....you need a flashlight to see the dash lights. Let us know what you found that works and I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Wth the lights on through the day, they're dim. At night, not a lot better. with sunglasses on during the day, forget it. Keep us posted.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:33 AM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Okay Forrest, I'll bite...where are you ordering these from. I spent a couple of hours trying to find lamp sizes and LED equivalents. Ebay and even Amazon have offerings but getting any clarity for what I need for an Axis, E-450 or E-350 hasn't been cut and dried. Boosting the lumens sounds great! TIA
If your bulbs are fairly easy to get out take one to an auto parts store, they are now carrying larger selections of led automotive bulbs.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:18 AM   #9

THOR #6582
Thanks D. There are numerous covers offered but it's the lumens that matter. I'm hoping ForrestG works that out for us. The dim dash is a pita.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:39 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
Don’t know which bulbs you need but Sylvania makes several that are labeled “Super Bright”. The vanity lights over our bathroom sink had incandescent lamps, I traded them out for the Sylvania lamps and now it’s almost to bright, really made a HUGE difference.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #11

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Alternate Idea

https://gethuddy.io/offer-01/?utm_so...id=778&oid=506

Just a reminder on this subject. I bought a heads up display that plugs into the OBDII port under the steering column on our Axis and then placed it on one of these units so it reflects off of the screen. I found that there is nothing ergonomic or safe with the large angle between your line of sight on the road and the dash cluster on these RVs. This set up doesn't cost much and it makes driving much more fun/safe. Just another thought.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #12

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
https://gethuddy.io/offer-01/?utm_so...id=778&oid=506

Just a reminder on this subject. I bought a heads up display that plugs into the OBDII port under the steering column on our Axis and then placed it on one of these units so it reflects off of the screen. I found that there is nothing ergonomic or safe with the large angle between your line of sight on the road and the dash cluster on these RVs. This set up doesn't cost much and it makes driving much more fun/safe. Just another thought.
I see the claim on their page is no installation, no hookups. You mention a need to plug into the port under the steering column.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:14 AM   #13

THOR #6582
Hiya Earl, would do post a detailed explanation of your Heads Up Display and the app you use. I found the earlier post but no details. I've looked on Amazon and find small projector devices or the reflector type that can take a smartphone. I'm sure others out here would like your feedback. TIA
Old 11-17-2017, 07:50 PM   #14

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Hiya Earl, would do post a detailed explanation of your Heads Up Display and the app you use. I found the earlier post but no details. I've looked on Amazon and find small projector devices or the reflector type that can take a smartphone. I'm sure others out here would like your feedback. TIA
I'll second that request!!!
Old 11-17-2017, 07:58 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Thanks for "Shedding some light" on this topic!

Thank you... I'm here all week!
(Try the veal!)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:50 PM   #16

THOR #3186
Installed and I like the results

I tried three different LED T5 bulbs, they are cheap. The brand I like best is EVO, N. 93256 White. I believe I got them from E-TRAILER. you will need 11 bulbs. To install you will need miniature vice grips unless you have strong fingers. Open the dash hatch, notice the 11 bulbs in their twist sockets on the rear of the dash panel. Twist to remove he socket, replace bulb and then reinstall in the dash panel. Takes about 15n- 20 minutes.

The gauge needles are lit up. I haven’t driven it very far yet but I do like what is see so far. I don’t believe these dim, not all LEDS are dimmable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F7E1A24C-C30B-4C0B-BCBE-647EFC8849A8.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	8113  
Old 12-06-2017, 09:13 PM   #17

THOR #6582
Thanks for the effort Forest Grump, that's great! Do they dim with the dash control dimmer? That's be nice.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:27 PM   #18

THOR #3186
I can’t tell if they do but I don’t think they do. I only go down to the motorhome during the day. Most dimmable LED’S say so these don’t.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:13 PM   #19

THOR #6582
I wonder if using the switch would damage them. One could glue the switch in place with a dab of silicone to prevent it.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:25 PM   #20

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
I tried three different LED T5 bulbs, they are cheap. The brand I like best is EVO, N. 93256 White. I believe I got them from E-TRAILER. you will need 11 bulbs. To install you will need miniature vice grips unless you have strong fingers. Open the dash hatch, notice the 11 bulbs in their twist sockets on the rear of the dash panel. Twist to remove he socket, replace bulb and then reinstall in the dash panel. Takes about 15n- 20 minutes.

The gauge needles are lit up. I haven’t driven it very far yet but I do like what is see so far. I don’t believe these dim, not all LEDS are dimmable.
thanks for the detailed answer. I have to see if the panel opens without too much trouble. Don't care if they are dimmable...brighter the better.