Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2022, 09:35 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
29M front power shade tracks

My front power shade has always traveled straight up and down, resting on the dash when at the bottom. I noticed the windshield pillars have what appear to be tracks to guide the shade closer to and parallel with the windshield as it travels up and down (see attached photos). Does anyone’s shade travel in these tracks? I can put the bottom bar into the tracks and it will slide up and down but after it gets about 1/2 way down the edges of the shade will start to come out of the track at the top and wrinkle. It looks like if the shade rolls in the opposite direction it might work well. Can I just run the shade all the way down so it starts back around the tube in the opposite direction as it goes back up? My momentary rocker switch would then be backward but probably pretty easy to change. Before I get into this I just wanted to see if it will work that way or if it goes straight down for a reason.

Thor did not supply a manual for the shade, but I found a YouTube video that explains how to change the set points.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FCC563C9-8195-409D-AE29-7699BE45C1DE.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	39625   Click image for larger version

Name:	071E5715-819E-4A31-8E38-B671C46D354C.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	39626  

Old 10-01-2022, 11:05 AM   #2

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Yes, it is supposed to travel both directions in the track. Unfortunately, Thor doesn’t always get the shade or tracks aligned correctly. Going down, my right side comes out of the track about halfway down. I cut a piece of rigid cardboard tube (from a roll of food saver bags) about 2” long. Put a 1” notch in it to slide over the blind, then fit the other end in the track. At some point I’ll put matching contact paper on it. But it has worked fine now for 2 1/2 years. Much easier than trying to re-engineer them switched or track.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:43 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Yes, it is supposed to travel both directions in the track. Unfortunately, Thor doesn’t always get the shade or tracks aligned correctly. Going down, my right side comes out of the track about halfway down. I cut a piece of rigid cardboard tube (from a roll of food saver bags) about 2” long. Put a 1” notch in it to slide over the blind, then fit the other end in the track. At some point I’ll put matching contact paper on it. But it has worked fine now for 2 1/2 years. Much easier than trying to re-engineer them switched or track.
Thanks Jimbo, does your shade wrap around the tube in the same direction as mine or the opposite direction?
Old 10-02-2022, 09:54 AM   #4

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeman View Post
Thanks Jimbo, does your shade wrap around the tube in the same direction as mine or the opposite direction?
I can’t tell. The drop down bunk is in the way. But if yours goes down when pressing down I would assume it does. There is a way to reprogram it but I’ve never had to look it up.