Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2016, 01:56 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Looking advice on wiring a receptacle for the bedroom ac

Thor Ace 30.1
I added a second AC unit in the bedroom with the power wire run to the sewer hookup compartment. I can plug it in seperatley at a full hook up and run both ac's at a campground. I ran a separate wire from under the bed to the same area to be able to run it off the generator in case I have issues with the main unit. I know I can't run both at the same time.
My question is, hooking the wire up. I was thinking tieing into the generator wire in the transfer switch. Thinking the 30 amp breaker on the generator would protect the unit. Or maybe tie into the main AC unit breaker as I wouldn't be running both at the same time.
Any input would be appreciated.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:52 PM   #2

THOR #3952
Figured it out.
I took the cover off of the breaker panel. There is room to install a 20 amp breaker just like the house panel.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:56 PM   #3

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Texas
THOR #6931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
Thor Ace 30.1
I added a second AC unit in the bedroom with the power wire run to the sewer hookup compartment. I can plug it in seperatley at a full hook up and run both ac's at a campground. I ran a separate wire from under the bed to the same area to be able to run it off the generator in case I have issues with the main unit. I know I can't run both at the same time.
My question is, hooking the wire up. I was thinking tieing into the generator wire in the transfer switch. Thinking the 30 amp breaker on the generator would protect the unit. Or maybe tie into the main AC unit breaker as I wouldn't be running both at the same time.
Any input would be appreciated.
@Hittntherooad, I have a 2015 Thor Ace 30.2. I'm interested in doing the same thing you described above with running both at a campground. I'm not really interested in tieing it in as you did. Would you mind sharing some more details on the 2nd unit you installed? Which type/brand of unit, tips on placement, tips on running wiring, wiring to sewer compartment, etc? Any info, tips, tricks or photos would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,Steve
Old 03-28-2017, 03:21 AM   #4

THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by safro View Post
@Hittntherooad, I have a 2015 Thor Ace 30.2. I'm interested in doing the same thing you described above with running both at a campground. I'm not really interested in tieing it in as you did. Would you mind sharing some more details on the 2nd unit you installed? Which type/brand of unit, tips on placement, tips on running wiring, wiring to sewer compartment, etc? Any info, tips, tricks or photos would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,Steve
I installed a Coleman 13500 nonducted unit which I can direct the air straight down the center of the coach or just back into the bedroom. It fit in the same opening that the vent fan was in. I ran the wiring through the same channel that the light fixture wire was in. I ran it into the tv cabinet and installed a junction box because the wire was too stiff to bend around the 90 degree. Ran it in the corner down the closet through the the floor which is right above the sewer/ water pump compartment is. I put a plug on it to be able to plug into a campground pedestal separately or plug into a receptacle I wired into the breaker panel in the coach. Hardest part was getting it up on the roof. I used an extension ladder and slid it up on the roof by using a rope by myself.
I was glad to have it while down in the Keys this past January.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	4330  
Old 03-28-2017, 09:19 PM   #5

THOR #6931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
I installed a Coleman 13500 nonducted unit which I can direct the air straight down the center of the coach or just back into the bedroom. It fit in the same opening that the vent fan was in. I ran the wiring through the same channel that the light fixture wire was in. I ran it into the tv cabinet and installed a junction box because the wire was too stiff to bend around the 90 degree. Ran it in the corner down the closet through the the floor which is right above the sewer/ water pump compartment is. I put a plug on it to be able to plug into a campground pedestal separately or plug into a receptacle I wired into the breaker panel in the coach. Hardest part was getting it up on the roof. I used an extension ladder and slid it up on the roof by using a rope by myself.
I was glad to have it while down in the Keys this past January.
Thank you! Very helpful. A few questions if you don't mind.
1. Is there any reason you chose the Coleman over another brand/model, like say the Atwood Aircommand that I've read about?
2. Did the vent fan already have proper framing to support it? And was the vent hole already the exact size needed?
3. Did you use something like a typical 12/2 wire to the junction box and then use a thick outdoor type flexible cord to run to the pedestal to plug in?
Thanks
Old 03-28-2017, 11:56 PM   #6

THOR #3952
I chose the Coleman for price and it was a backup unit to help when it was really hot.
The vent hole is the right size and capable of supporting the unit.
Ran 12/2 to the junction box and yes a heavy duty extension cord to the pedestal.
What I did in Marathon was plug my 30 amp main plug into a 50 to 30 amp adapter to the 50 amp pedestal plug and plugged in the separate AC unit into a 30 amp adapter to 20. Wasn't totally necessary but some parks don't have all 3 receptacles.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:00 AM   #7

THOR #3952
I just looked at your floor plan. You may have an issue running the wire like I did with the full wall slide. May need to find a different route.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:34 AM   #8

THOR #6931
Thanks! You've been very helpful.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:35 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by safro View Post
Thanks,Steve
I'm planning on doing this also on my Hurricane 29m. It also has the full wall slide like your Ace. My plan is to run the wire toward the passenger side. I'm sure you have a cabinet above the bed on that wall like mine. There may be a problem running the wire through the ceiling. The a/c ducting might prevent this. If it does I'll have to buy the channel that attaches to the ceiling and out the wire in there. Its only about 4 ft that will show and it probably wont even be noticed. If I can get the wire to that wall I think ill be able to run the wire down the wall through the floor under the mh. If not hopefully I can get it to the bed pedestal. From there under the mh to the drivers side. I plan to get a plug similar to the 30amp I already have. Then use an extension cord to the power box at the cg.

This will probably get done next winter. Since the mh is new I want to see how the a/c does this summer on our planned trips. Then of needed it will get done. My buddy has ever tool so he will lend a hand.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:51 AM   #10

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
2nd A/C in 30.2

I also have a 2015 30.2 and put in a second A/C unit my first year. Really easy for us. A/C in vent, run thru ceiling channel to rear drivers side corner (where slide i) and it drops down into generator compartment where it is stored. From there it can go to a campground pedestal. Used a long enough cord from the A/C unit to run thru and to the pedestal. No use of additional extension cords. I think I have about 12 feet from generator to run to pedestal. Has not been an issue. Check the tables for gauge/length combo, will max out so can't use too long a run. One of the ceiling lights needed to be rotated so we could reach the on/off switch. We also bought a 50A to 30A & 20A splitter so we could run everything off a 50 A as some parks have limited electric options. We use a clip on oscillating fan to send some of the coolness to the living area (clips to the top exposed molding). A really necessary mod for Florida or any high heat and or high humidity location. 30.2's now come with that optional 2nd A/C.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:33 PM   #11

THOR #6931
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
I also have a 2015 30.2 and put in a second A/C unit my first year. Really easy for us. A/C in vent, run thru ceiling channel to rear drivers side corner (where slide i) and it drops down into generator compartment where it is stored. From there it can go to a campground pedestal. Used a long enough cord from the A/C unit to run thru and to the pedestal. No use of additional extension cords. I think I have about 12 feet from generator to run to pedestal. Has not been an issue. Check the tables for gauge/length combo, will max out so can't use too long a run. One of the ceiling lights needed to be rotated so we could reach the on/off switch. We also bought a 50A to 30A & 20A splitter so we could run everything off a 50 A as some parks have limited electric options. We use a clip on oscillating fan to send some of the coolness to the living area (clips to the top exposed molding). A really necessary mod for Florida or any high heat and or high humidity location. 30.2's now come with that optional 2nd A/C.
Good to hear, thanks. What you described is what I was thinking of trying. Is there an obvious easy opening to run the wire from a/c to roof corner/down to gen compartment? Or did it take a lot of fishing to run it? Did you use an extension cord the entire way, from a/c unit to pedestal end, or did you run a rigid 12/2 wire to gen compartment and then transition to flexible extension cord?

What a/c unit did you purchase and do you like it?

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2017, 02:05 PM   #12

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
2nd A/C

We put in a Mach 1 Coleman Power Saver back in May 2015 for efficiency and weight reasons, might be other or better option now. It is very cold very fast, and pretty loud at the high fan setting. But on a hot day of driving (or just a hot day) my DH turns it on and lays on the bed under it and has a happy smile on his face!
There are channels to follow in ceiling so it is not a bad run. Used one extension cord the entire route to limit number of connections. We followed the detailed description of the install provided back in 2015 on this forum, but I can't find it now.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:12 PM   #13

THOR #6931
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
We put in a Mach 1 Coleman Power Saver back in May 2015 for efficiency and weight reasons, might be other or better option now. It is very cold very fast, and pretty loud at the high fan setting. But on a hot day of driving (or just a hot day) my DH turns it on and lays on the bed under it and has a happy smile on his face!
There are channels to follow in ceiling so it is not a bad run. Used one extension cord the entire route to limit number of connections. We followed the detailed description of the install provided back in 2015 on this forum, but I can't find it now.
thanks!