Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2019, 04:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
looking for digital wifi thermostat upgrade for Thor Vegas Mach 15 AC

Hi,
I would like to replace my thermostat on the thor vegas 24.1 with a digital wifi thermostat. This is so i can control the temperature while i am away from the RV (I have a wifi hotspot). I tried the Lux Geo and it was not compatible after talking to their suppport.
Does anyone else have any recommendations? Its challenging b/c the RV does not have a 24V AC input that most thermostats require. Also, i dont know of any home thermostats that have 2 fan modes (althought not really necessary).
Thanks,

Old 05-28-2019, 05:29 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #11774
Quote:
Originally Posted by gte534j View Post
Hi,

I would like to replace my thermostat on the thor vegas 24.1 with a digital wifi thermostat. This is so i can control the temperature while i am away from the RV (I have a wifi hotspot). I tried the Lux Geo and it was not compatible after talking to their suppport.

Does anyone else have any recommendations? Its challenging b/c the RV does not have a 24V AC input that most thermostats require. Also, i dont know of any home thermostats that have 2 fan modes (althought not really necessary).

Thanks,

I just installed two Honeywell residential thermostats. I would have gone with a WiFi one (and probably still will) but I found them in a discount store for $3 each. Too good a deal to pass by.

The wire colors in the wall were not to standard but the old thermostat wires do follow the sea standard colors. I had 6 wires in my original unit. Only need 4 for the new unit.

Red wire to “Rh” terminal (Rh and Rc utilize a jumper)
White wire to “W” terminal (furnace)
Yellow wire to “Y” terminal
Green wire to “G” terminal
Gray (not connected)
Blue (not connected)

Note that my second unit only controls A/C (not heat) so the white wire is not used either.

I am not aware of any that support two fan speeds. Difference between hi and low is minimal so I just went with the high. I have heard of others installing an extra switch to toggle hi/low but not worth it to me.

Mine are battery controlled so do not require 24V AC (also referred to as a 'C' wire).

You will have two choices... get a Wifi unit that does not require a 'C' wire (it will say right on the box and also require batteries) or purchase a 'C' wire adapter. This plugs in your 120C AC and gives you 24V AC out to wire to the unit. Problem is running the wire inside the wall. You can get this adapter on Amazon for under $15.

I am partial to Honeywell and that's what I will go with in the end. I have 3 other Wifi units from them in other locations and want to have them all in the same app.

Hope this helps. Let me know what you end up doing.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:20 PM   #3

THOR #10717
Hi.
I am mostly interested in swapping out the thermostat so I can remotely control the temperature so i would want one that has wifi.
This one looks like it has a battery and should work:

https://www.amazon.com/Lyric-Round-P.../dp/B01FTNDGRG

For wiring i would just use:
high fan speed (green wire)
yellow (red from AC unit) compressor
white- red trace (furnace) to white furnace (gas)

Power would be from the battery.
Does this seem correct?
Old 05-28-2019, 06:29 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
It does look like it would work for your purposes. The battery replaces the need for the 24V AC that many others require.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Honeywell. I recently installed one in my home, and it's great !
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:45 PM   #5

THOR #10717
Ok- thanks. I ordered it and will install it next week. Will post back.
Thanks
Old 06-06-2019, 10:36 PM   #6

THOR #10717
I installed the thermostat and it has to have a C-wire.
I ordered this item:
24V Thermostat Transformer,LANMU AC 24V C-Wire Power Supply Adapter for Honeywell,Nest,Emerson Sensi WiFi Smart Thermostat Ecobee3 Ecobee4 Thermostat,UL Certified
and will plug it into a DC-AC 120V converter. The power for that converter will be run off the DC 12V wires that were previously connect to the thermostat. Hopefully this should work and I will have power to the thermostat even when not plugged into shore power.
As a bonus- i will have a dedicated 120V outlet to use in the back of the RV when the generator isnt running or plugged in.
Will post updates.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:04 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
........will plug it into a DC-AC 120V converter. The power for that converter will be run off the DC 12V wires that were previously connect to the thermostat.
I don't think those wires will be large enough to run your inverter, certainly not for a 120 VAC outlet for other use.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:20 PM   #8

THOR #10717
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I don't think those wires will be large enough to run your inverter, certainly not for a 120 VAC outlet for other use.
Would you know what fuse would be attached to those DC 12V wires? Its a red w/ white strip (+12V) and ground (blue wire and also white wire). I would hate to pop the fuse and not know how to replace it. You might be right. Maybe this inverter would only be to power the thermostat......
ok i need to think about this some more. I might just run new 12V power directly there instead from the battery.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:54 PM   #9

THOR #10717
Quote:
Would you know what fuse would be attached to those DC 12V wires? Its a red w/ white strip (+12V) and ground (blue wire and also white wire). I would hate to pop the fuse and not know how to replace it. You might be right. Maybe this inverter would only be to power the thermostat......
ok i need to think about this some more. I might just run new 12V power directly there instead from the battery.
You are right according to this post:
Thor Forums - View Single Post - Thermostat Upgrade Problem
3A on that 12V + would only give you 36W of power- which might not be enough to even start up the inverter. There are some small 150W inverters that i have found.
It might be best to just run new large power wires and have a larger inverter there- for the thermostat and other extra uses, like powering the TV when not on shore/generator.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:45 AM   #10

THOR #10717
I purchased a 120V AC to 24V AC converter and wired that to the thermostat. I got the thermostat on and connected to the wifi, but i couldnt get the fan, heat, or AC to turn on. I have attached a photo of how I wired the thermostat.
For the 24V AC- the wire with a white stripe on it was connected to the R terminal. The other wire is connected to the C terminal.
I am out of ideas on how to get this to work. Maybe the air conditioner only turns on with 12+ DC and not 24V AC?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0607191618_HDR.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	17997   Click image for larger version

Name:	0607191619.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	17998  

Old 06-10-2019, 02:46 PM   #11

THOR #10717
I was unable to get this to work.
I think the AC/heat are activated with +12V
This thermostat activatates the AC/heat with 24V AC
There are no wifi enabled +12V thermostats currently being made.

Oh well...
Old 06-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpiercemagic View Post
Here's the one we use. It runs off batteries. Has app for phone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That's not a thermostat.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #13

Model: Quantum RW28
THOR #15031
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
That's not a thermostat.
"DOH!" post deleted.

Jeff
Old 06-29-2019, 01:30 AM   #14

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
A.C emergency

We are on the road and the RV stores closed until tomorrow. Door fell on thermostat and broke it. What wires can I twist together to run it for tonight? Any help?
Old 06-29-2019, 02:08 AM   #15

State: Georgia
THOR #11774
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceMan View Post
We are on the road and the RV stores closed until tomorrow. Door fell on thermostat and broke it. What wires can I twist together to run it for tonight? Any help?

Not sure what rig you have. I have a 2018 Thor Hurricane 29M and I did some research before replacing both of my thermostats with Honeywell residential units.

Maybe this will help ... some info I had found and saved in the past from some other posts. (Use at your own risk)

Red = +12vdc
Blue = -12vdc
Green = Fan High
Gray = Fan Low
White = Furnace
Yellow= Compressor

Using the red wire as hot, touch and hold it to the green wire and your a/c fan should run on high speed, if it is, now add the yellow wire by touching and holding it to the red and green wire (all 3 together) now the compressor and fan should be running and your a/c should be cooling.