Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2016, 04:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27k
State: Quebec
THOR #2292
mattress

I have a Thor Hurricane 27k with à bed over the driver seat. It is set to use an inflatable mattress.
Has anybody repladed it with a foam mattress. There is almost but not quite 2 inches and i feel the minimum thickness for the mattress shall be 2 inches. While i think the mecanism is strong enough to compress it, i wouldn't want to damage the mh ceiling.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:44 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by starnje View Post
I have a Thor Hurricane 27k with à bed over the driver seat. It is set to use an inflatable mattress.
Has anybody repladed it with a foam mattress. There is almost but not quite 2 inches and i feel the minimum thickness for the mattress shall be 2 inches. While i think the mecanism is strong enough to compress it, i wouldn't want to damage the mh ceiling.
Our 2016 27K came with a mattress - not an air mattress. I think it's called a Cotton Cloud, and it fits perfectly and allows the powered bed to be tucked up against the ceiling

The Cotton Cloud company appears to be out of Portland, if it is the same one that provides the bunk mattresses for Thor.
Cotton Cloud Natural Beds & Furniture Portland, Oregon

Perhaps they could order a real mattress for you.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:42 PM   #3

THOR #2292
Mattress thickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeliec View Post
Our 2016 27K came with a mattress - not an air mattress. I think it's called a Cotton Cloud, and it fits perfectly and allows the powered bed to be tucked up against the ceiling

The Cotton Cloud company appears to be out of Portland, if it is the same one that provides the bunk mattresses for Thor.
Cotton Cloud Natural Beds & Furniture Portland, Oregon

Perhaps they could order a real mattress for you.
neeliec,
What is the thickness of your mattress?
Is it somewhat confortable?
Old 05-22-2016, 08:19 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I could be wrong but in you tube videos I have looked at it appears the overhead bunks on the newer models using the mattress are deeper than the ones on the older models. Might want to compare the depth of the mattress area before thinking the same concept will work.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:50 PM   #5

Model: Windsport34F
State: California
THOR #3382
Overhead Bunk

You will find that the overhead bunk has been manufactured by Lippert, the same people that make the slides, and the auto level system in your coach. These systems, all of them, are in my opinion, under engineered and constructed. They are then sent to manufactures, who consistently install them incorrectly, then never QA or adjust them. The failure rate is close to 100% of all of these systems.

The overhead bunk is very very fragile. It is NOT designed to have a mattress on it when it is closed up against the ceiling. Your concern for the ceiling is misplaced. It is FAR MORE LIKELY that putting a mattress in the bunk, and running it up against the ceiling, will cause a total failure of the Lippert control system, motors, and gears. The resulting repair is expensive, thousands of $$$'s. Do it the first time under warranty and learn.

Also, be sure to NEVER use the bunk without the pins in place. NEVER fail to put the pins back in when the bunk is raised, as it will fall down onto your head! Once it gets cockeyed, leveling it back is futile! You are destined for a dealer repair, with all of the costs, and time involved. 6 weeks at least.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:30 PM   #6

THOR #2005
Quote:
neeliec,
What is the thickness of your mattress?
Is it somewhat confortable?
Hi. Not sure of the exact measurement of the mattress. I can't get to the RV right now, but will take a tape measure with me the next time I go. In the meantime I'd guess that it's somewhere between 4 & 6 inches.

It fits into the space perfectly and allows the powered bunk to go up all the way to the ceiling with no "forcing."

Have you contacted Thor's customer service to see if they could provide you with specifics about the mattresses that now come for the overhead bed? They might be able to give you a part number.

Eileen in AZ
Old 05-23-2016, 08:36 PM   #7

THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by winder1 View Post
You will find that the overhead bunk has been manufactured by Lippert, the same people that make the slides, and the auto level system in your coach. These systems, all of them, are in my opinion, under engineered and constructed. They are then sent to manufactures, who consistently install them incorrectly, then never QA or adjust them. The failure rate is close to 100% of all of these systems.

The overhead bunk is very very fragile. It is NOT designed to have a mattress on it when it is closed up against the ceiling. Your concern for the ceiling is misplaced. It is FAR MORE LIKELY that putting a mattress in the bunk, and running it up against the ceiling, will cause a total failure of the Lippert control system, motors, and gears. The resulting repair is expensive, thousands of $$$'s. Do it the first time under warranty and learn.

Also, be sure to NEVER use the bunk without the pins in place. NEVER fail to put the pins back in when the bunk is raised, as it will fall down onto your head! Once it gets cockeyed, leveling it back is futile! You are destined for a dealer repair, with all of the costs, and time involved. 6 weeks at least.
Gosh....this seems odd. I wonder why Thor would include a regular mattress for the upper bed if it would do damage?

We've had no real problem with ours fitting, or with the bed lowering and raising. Right after we took delivery of our RV, one side of the slide mechanism came loose and we had the dealer fix it. After that, no problems.

I'm sorry you've had a less than positive experience with yours.
Eileen in AZ
Old 05-23-2016, 09:00 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Gosh....this seems odd. I wonder why Thor would include a regular mattress for the upper bed if it would do damage?

We've had no real problem with ours fitting, or with the bed lowering and raising. Right after we took delivery of our RV, one side of the slide mechanism came loose and we had the dealer fix it. After that, no problems.

Eileen in AZ
Based on what i have seen in pictures and videos it appears the upper bunk has been redesigned to allow for a mattress rather than having to use an air mattress. Since the bunks are manufactured by LCI they probably manufacture the mattress to work with the particular bed.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #9

THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Based on what i in pictures and videos it appears the upper bunk has been redesigned to allow for a mattress rather than having to use an air mattress. Since the bunks are manufactured by LCI they probably manufacture the mattress to work with the particular bed.
Great suggestion! I hadn't thought of trying to contact LCI.

But I agree that the coaches that now come with a "real" mattress instead of a blow up mattress have been redesigned to accommodate the mattress in the space provided when the bed is up against the ceiling. Doing otherwise makes no logical sense.

Ours is called a Cotton Cloud, so I assumed they were the manufacturer. But the name Cotton Cloud may just be a design style rather than a maker.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:00 PM   #10

Model: Windsport34F
THOR #3382
Quote:

Eileen in AZ
My experience was the same as yours, and what I have found to be the experience of many on the forums. It is as I described, and what most have experienced. When it was new, and you first went to use it, it failed. You had to have the dealer repair it, and its worked since.

Thats par for the course. It was obviously installed incorrectly or completely at the factory, and had to be repaired at the dealer. Depending on the extent of the failure, this repair can be very very expensive. Using the over head bunk is the same as the slide out. It should always be raised, or lowered, 100%. Never stop it halfway. Always put the pins in it when it is lowered, and raised. When raising or lowering, hold the switch for 4-5 seconds after the bed has quit moving.

It seem to me that all the Lippert Components are under engineered, and very fragile. The slide outs, the beds, and auto levelers, all require regular attention, adjustment, lubrication, and mostly a lot of luck, to keep them from failing.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:38 PM   #11

THOR #2292
Can we update the older model

Has anyone attempted to lower the bed mecanism so it would have room for a mattress.
When I mention mattress, I'm talking about 2-4 inches foam mattress so it would be light and used only on occasion. I hate having to inflate and deflate the current inflatable one as the intake is on the side, difficult to reach and of course the mattress leaks slowly.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:17 PM   #12

THOR #2544
Quote:
Has anyone attempted to lower the bed mecanism so it would have room for a mattress.
When I mention mattress, I'm talking about 2-4 inches foam mattress so it would be light and used only on occasion. I hate having to inflate and deflate the current inflatable one as the intake is on the side, difficult to reach and of course the mattress leaks slowly.

Good question, I was wondering if it could be adjusted. I have about an inch and a half clearance now. If I get get a couple more inches I think it would work.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:04 AM   #13

State: Kansas
THOR #3779
We have a 2016 Windsport with the bunk that goes up and down. It demonstrated really well, then failed on first use. Thor fixed the issue - and it's worked well since. It came with a really thin pad. The "tray" the pad lays in looked a lot deeper than the pad, so I made paper rings of various sizes and tested to see if we could put something on top to make it more comfy. Had about 3 inches, so we got a 2 inch thick mattress topper. Still considering replacement with an inflatable matress for comfort, but the size is not standard. Hope this helps.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:46 PM   #14

THOR #2292
Made a bracket

Finaly I made a bracket to lower the bed about 2 inches. It create a new locking point 2 inches lower. It ran good on my last trip where I had to lower and raise the bed every day for 7 days