Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2016, 06:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #4409
Modifications Satellite and External Storage

Hi all. Admitted rank newbie here. 2 different questions.

1st.
Satellite? We have a dish account at home already and know I can pull the receiver and take it with.

Question Roof mount auto? Or portable auto? Will roof mount work while driving down the road or is this a stationary thing only?

Sales guy said most people are moving away from roof mounts to the portable tri-pod. True?

2nd.

Love the coach Gemini 23, but it's a bit limited in storage. Thinking of doing a couple of storage pods on top. The Gemini has a rear projecting slide out so ladder would (probably?) go on the side.

Anyone with experience in getting on top of a Gemini?

THANKS

Cuthahotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:04 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Steve,

Welcome.

I can pretty much answer your first question but no help on the 2nd one.

A roof mount won't help you watch TV while you're traveling down the road. Can't track the satellite positioning in the SSW sky.

I have a Dish Tailgater and it works pretty well if there aren't any trees or other obstruction within the satellite LOS. With it being portable, I can move it around the campsite to get the best view, whereas; with a roof mount you're at the mercy of where your MH is parked.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:42 PM   #3

THOR #4409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
with a roof mount you're at the mercy of where your MH is parked.
Larry, that's the reason the sales guy gave. Makes sense and if it won't work while drive then that's the smart way.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:52 PM   #4
EV2

Model: Tiburon
State: Arizona
THOR #1264
You can get an in motion that requires roof mount for viewing while traveling, but way more $$$.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:55 PM   #5

THOR #4409
Quote:
Originally Posted by EV2 View Post
You can get an in motion that requires roof mount for viewing while traveling, but way more $$$.
That's what I was afraid of. I don't think we'll be using it enough to warrant the extra.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:31 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuthahotha View Post
....cut....

2nd.

Love the coach Gemini 23, but it's a bit limited in storage. Thinking of doing a couple of storage pods on top. The Gemini has a rear projecting slide out so ladder would (probably?) go on the side.

Anyone with experience in getting on top of a Gemini?

THANKS
Not what you asked, but if not already aware you should know that there are many different sizes and types of hitch-mounted carriers that could remain under your slide's elevation for clearance.

I don't know your Transit's hitch weight carrying capacity, or how much weight you plan to carry. You'd also have to consider if it would affect handling significantly by placing weight at very back. On the other hand placing weight over roof may affect handling even worse.

I notice your motorhome has storage at rear already, and if you can't access it from side door, you can always get a carrier that swings to the side. Those are popular with vans and SUVs so owner can access the back doors/tailgate. In your case it should allow the top lid to open while slide is extended.

My van has zero outside storage, so I use a carrier on back on longer trips. I considered a roof rack but didn't want to have to climb up there, or the noise, reduced fuel economy, or increasing the overall height.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:43 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 23U
THOR #1490
We store out tailgater in the shower when not in use. I had it in the storage compartment, but that took up too much space. The receiver is a smaller unit VP 211. it is free as long as we have the dish in our house. but when we are not using it in the RV, I place the receiver in the garage along with a smaller tv.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:53 AM   #8

State: Alabama
THOR #3789
They do have a roof mount that tracks as you are going down the road but more money. Unless you have kids who wants to watch tv going down the road when there is just so much more in real life to see.... We have the Dish tailgater pay as you go, 36 bucks a month for us but if you have the service in your house I thinks its just another 10 bucks for you. It can be mounted on the roof or just set up on the ground. Might be times you are parked in a wood line and a roof mount wont work as the way we have it, there is a 50 foot cable and now able to move it around to find the right signal.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:36 AM   #9

THOR #4409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
but if not already aware you should know that there are many different sizes and types of hitch-mounted carriers that could remain under your slide's elevation for clearance.
Thanks, We (wife and I) talked about using a hitch for storage. It would work and I'm not looking for much weight. But we'll use the hitch for our bike rack.

Will be at the dealers shop for some installs tomorrow and will ask.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:42 AM   #10

THOR #4409
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikoriko View Post
We store out tailgater in the shower when not in use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang94@hot.rr.com View Post
We have the Dish tailgater pay as you go.
ya, we have dish so it will probably just pull the home dish/dvr and throw it in the MH.

I kind of expect most of our camping will be tree-less. (Horse show parking lots, etc). I suppose since the other half of the post is about roof top storage that one option would be to install a roof mount in such a way that it could be removed and mounted on tripod when the situation forces it?
Old 06-01-2016, 03:13 PM   #11

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuthahotha View Post
Thanks, We (wife and I) talked about using a hitch for storage. It would work and I'm not looking for much weight. But we'll use the hitch for our bike rack.

Will be at the dealers shop for some installs tomorrow and will ask.
I've seen pictures and a video of one design that I think is from Europe that does it all -- although a little pricey.

It has doors at back, and bikes mount on top of the storage trunk. And if I recall correctly it can be ordered with swing-away hitch.

I prefer to haul my bikes inside and couldn't justify the cost for the few times I'd need both outside storage and bikes off hitch. Anyway, good luck with storage pods.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #12

THOR #4409
Thanks for the ideas Chance. I've been looking at options for hitch mounted storage and haven't found that yet.

The inside of the MH is pretty small. Too small to put the bikes inside and still walk around.