Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-02-2018, 12:23 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30
State: Tennessee
Posts: 11
THOR #9126
Modify a 2018 30FE Cramped Cab?

Has anyone modified the cab of the 30FE? The seats? The console?

We bought a 2018 Thor 30FE which is on a Ford F-450. Wow, it's cramped.

First, the passenger seat in the cab.

One can either slide it back or recline it back but not both. Very little leg room. Also, the seat back is permanently formed with a forward angle at the neck where it is only comfortable when reclined. But to recline the seat it must be slid forward. Hence, no leg room. To climb out of the seat, one must first tilt the back of the seat all the way forward and then slide the seat all the way back! Ridiculous!!!

Currently, even my 5-foot-2 wife feels like she's sitting jackknifed in the passenger seat. I'm 6 foot so I'm both jackknifed and cramped with my knees buckled. Very uncomfortable.

To fix this, we're considering cutting all or part of the bench seat behind the passenger seat so we can recline and slide the passenger seat all the way back. It looks to be cheap press board with a molded frame for supporting the cushion. It's just the two of us so altering one bench is fine. The wife wants this professionally done so it will look nice. Actually, I could do it with a hack saw. But "Happy Wife, Happy Life" always applies.

Has anyone done this? Can we buy different cab seats that are more comfortable?

Secondly, The massive frivolous center console.(How many cups can one have?)

We're researching to see if the center console can be replaced with something that doesn't take up so much room. I'd rather have more room to slip into the driver's seat than a bazillion cup holders. Right now, the clearance between the driver's seat and the console is a mere 6 or 7 inches.

Has anyone done this? Are there alternative center consoles for a Ford cab?

Is there a business around Nashville, TN that customizes RVs?

This is our first RV so any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
__________________

__________________
Scott37040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:34 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
RhondaMyers.com's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
Posts: 401
THOR #6026
We have some photos after we got rid of the dream dinette
We put in seats on a metal plate that allowed is to move the chairs back 3 in.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170622_153710.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	9538Click image for larger version

Name:	20180330_140947.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	9539Click image for larger version

Name:	20180323_141219.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	9540
__________________

__________________
RhondaMyers.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:38 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
RhondaMyers.com's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
Posts: 401
THOR #6026
The driver side is more comfortable moved back 3 in. Also without the dinette, the driver seat can recline.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170622_153651.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	9541
__________________
RhondaMyers.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:38 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30
State: Tennessee
Posts: 11
THOR #9126
Very spacious! Thank you!
__________________
Scott37040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:41 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
RhondaMyers.com's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
Posts: 401
THOR #6026
This is the base to move the seat back.
__________________
RhondaMyers.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:05 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 2,885
THOR #7035
Is this the center console with the bazillion cup holders?



I only see 3 and it looks pretty low profile.
__________________
The USER Formally Known As TFryman
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:28 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30
State: Tennessee
Posts: 11
THOR #9126
Thanks. That's the console. Actually, seven and a lower eighth.

Okay, they're not all "cup holders" but, combined, they take up maneuvering space.

Look at the clearance between the console and the drivers seat. For you, it may be okay. For me, it's tight. I'd prefer opening that gap a little and I'm willing to sacrifice all the holders, whether or not they're for cups.

So, again, my question...Has anyone modified this?
__________________
Scott37040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:03 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
Posts: 531
THOR #4656
The front of that console just snaps off. That will give you a ton of room.
__________________
Making a smooth transition to senility for over 70 years

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:03 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 11,211
THOR #8860
Yeah... They're a bit... tight!
But didn't you sit in it, before plunking down the cash?
My Missus is 5' 1", and I'm 5' 10": we noticed it, and decided that it was a "workable" ride...
But I DO realize that everyone has their own personal comfort levels, so have fun with this project, and we'll be interested in seeing what modifications you make!
Good luck!
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304

Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Former coach: Thor Outlaw 29-H
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:02 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30
State: Tennessee
Posts: 11
THOR #9126
Ha, Ha, yeah, we did sit in it. Very impulsive on our part. A great salesman sold us on the idea that the phrase, "It's Adequate" applied to all RVs.

We were looking at other aspects and didn't think about the driving part.

Actually, to sit in the driver's seat isn't bad. It's getting in and out within the RV. And we just glanced at the passenger's seat. Did NOT sit in it.

This RV is now the "Cat Mobile" as we have two cats. It's purrfect for them which is why we chose the 30FE.
__________________
Scott37040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:15 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 11,211
THOR #8860
We have to keep the "furry kids" happy!

Salesman...
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304

Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Former coach: Thor Outlaw 29-H
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:34 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
Posts: 289
THOR #7993
I would kill to have all that front seat area storage. Our Vegas has pretty much no where to put anything.
__________________
jb1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:08 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 11,211
THOR #8860
Easy solution: make storage pockets out of any sort of acceptable cloth, and hang them anyplace that you can find some space!

(Do you remember the old trash pockets, that you could hang from your window crank handles?)
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304

Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Former coach: Thor Outlaw 29-H
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:31 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Mitch S's Avatar
 
Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
Posts: 161
THOR #5597
Lack of room in the passenger's side is why we got a class A. She has problems with her knees and couldn't begin to get from the passenger's seat into the rear of the unit.
__________________
Mitch S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:18 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
saddlesore's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
Posts: 591
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott37040 View Post
Has anyone modified the cab of the 30FE? The seats? The console?

We bought a 2018 Thor 30FE which is on a Ford F-450. Wow, it's cramped.

First, the passenger seat in the cab.

One can either slide it back or recline it back but not both. Very little leg room. Also, the seat back is permanently formed with a forward angle at the neck where it is only comfortable when reclined. But to recline the seat it must be slid forward. Hence, no leg room. To climb out of the seat, one must first tilt the back of the seat all the way forward and then slide the seat all the way back! Ridiculous!!!

Currently, even my 5-foot-2 wife feels like she's sitting jackknifed in the passenger seat. I'm 6 foot so I'm both jackknifed and cramped with my knees buckled. Very uncomfortable.

To fix this, we're considering cutting all or part of the bench seat behind the passenger seat so we can recline and slide the passenger seat all the way back. It looks to be cheap press board with a molded frame for supporting the cushion. It's just the two of us so altering one bench is fine. The wife wants this professionally done so it will look nice. Actually, I could do it with a hack saw. But "Happy Wife, Happy Life" always applies.

Has anyone done this? Can we buy different cab seats that are more comfortable?

Secondly, The massive frivolous center console.(How many cups can one have?)

We're researching to see if the center console can be replaced with something that doesn't take up so much room. I'd rather have more room to slip into the driver's seat than a bazillion cup holders. Right now, the clearance between the driver's seat and the console is a mere 6 or 7 inches.

Has anyone done this? Are there alternative center consoles for a Ford cab?

Is there a business around Nashville, TN that customizes RVs?

This is our first RV so any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Keep in mind..
Your 1st coach is a learning tool..

Within a year or two you will discover..about the RV... As you now are....

What you love about the RV...
What you can kinda-sorta tolerate with the RV..
And what you absolutely hate about that !@#$%^%$#@! RV.
Then you can go get what you should have gotten in the first place..
Happy Hunting

Remember..Every day you put off retiring..is just one less Day of being retired
__________________
current coach
SOB (some other brand)
former coach
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:48 AM   #16
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 11,211
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Keep in mind..
Your 1st coach is a learning tool..
Within a year or two you will discover..about the RV... As you now are....
What you love about the RV...
What you can kinda-sorta tolerate with the RV..
And what you absolutely hate about that !@#$%^%$#@! RV.
Then you can go get what you should have gotten in the first place..
Happy Hunting
Sigh...
Ain't that the truth!
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304

Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Former coach: Thor Outlaw 29-H
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:04 PM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,131
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Sigh...
Ain't that the truth!
So what does that make your 4th RV?
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:03 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 3,933
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
I would kill to have all that front seat area storage. Our Vegas has pretty much no where to put anything.

Interesting point you make, because older E-Series like mine had a much larger console attached to back of engine doghouse, which provided more storage space by extending all the way to floor, but that restricted getting feet between seat and console (see picture below of similar model). I normally squeeze my feet through, but on passenger side which is tighter my wife steps her feet over the seat. Apparently Ford was aware this area was tight for some owners.

Anyway, because console is interchangeable with newer smaller design (so Iíve read) and are cheap to buy, I thought of swapping mine out, but at end of day decided I liked the added storage compartments and extra cup holders (we have even more).

We often have a couple of coffee travel mugs, a couple of water bottles, snacks, 2 cell phones and 2 iPads in the console. Looking at newer console, itíd be a tighter fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2E489D1C-4A01-4C7E-BEBA-D3E1CAE44E82.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	9577  
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:07 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 3,933
THOR #2121
This is how E-Series looks like with console removed (not mine, just found picture).


P.S. — Only time I find getting into driver’s seat awkward is when wife leaves seat forward about 3 inches or so. That closes gap between seat and console quite a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5B29C651-6D21-4A79-A45B-21DBBF30AEDC.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	9578  
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:23 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Quantum WS31
State: Washington
Posts: 866
THOR #7205
Our Quantum WS31 isn't any better. I sit sideways in the passenger seat quite a bit when my wife drives. I'm 6' 2" 240, so yes, it is cramped. The driving position is pretty good. I move the (electric) seat position while driving to ease fatigue. Getting a size 12 shoe between the seat and console can be a challenge to say the least!
__________________

__________________
Pat & Becky & now Katie
Wenatchee, WA
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
30fe, center console, cramped, passenger seat

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×