Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2017, 02:42 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
I mounted two large residential panels(39x65) on my roof, and since have traveled 3k miles and they are still there. Trying to match(line up )the trusses which line up with the spots where the brackets are attached to the panels is next to impossible. I did get the roof schematics from Thor for my model. I made mounting brackets from 2x2 aluminum about 4 inches long for the piece(feet) to be mounted to the roof and about 2 inches long for the piece to mount to the panel. Thus actually forming a z type bracket when bolting them together. On the 4 inch piece drilled two holes to use wellnuts and stainless steel bolts into the roof. As Sespe's diagram shows the wellnut offer a good bonding.
I choose the wellnut option because under the TPO layer on the roof on top of the trusses there is only 1/8 inch thick luan. Where I placed the panels, one of the panels went over the corner of the EGS plate for the mounting of a satellite dish. Here I mounted the feet with stainless steel sheet metal screws. I attached 7 brackets per panel.
Under the brackets I used rubber butyl tape, and then ample Dicor self leveling sealant on top. The wellnuts also provide a sealing function to the holes you will make in the roof.

Old 12-01-2017, 04:12 PM   #22

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
I have the roof drawing for my 2015 Vegas 24.1. The Thor title for the series of 5 roof drawings is "Roof, Radius, Unit."

The spacing of the trusses on my RV indicates that Thor is not quite as symmetrical on their spacing as I would have expected (using house rafters as the comparison). For example, here is some of the spacing on my Vegas 24.1:

The trusses (11 of them) are 1 X 1 1/2 X .04 aluminum tubes. On mine they are spaced 16" apart; however, there is a huge void of trusses on mine from the 70 5/8 to 117 1/8 inch point from the rear with no trusses. The suggestion to use a stud finder is a good one since the trusses are all aluminum tubes and should show up well with a stud finder.

So my suggestion is before you start to drill into the roof, ask Thor for the drawings so that at least you have a general idea where to start looking for the trusses.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:10 PM   #23

Brand: Crossroads
State: Ohio
THOR #424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Diagrams it is!
If I get a stud-finder: the Missus will use it to find our next gardener!
Just make sure you tell him "No Returns".
Old 12-06-2017, 02:32 PM   #24

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrrr View Post
... As Sespe's diagram shows the wellnut offer a good bonding.
I choose the wellnut option because under the TPO layer on the roof on top of the trusses there is only 1/8 inch thick luan...
Thank Peterrrr, do you have any photos? What size wellnuts did you use?
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote