Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2018, 03:43 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
My Store / In Use Switch Solution

My Store / In Use Switch Solution
Store / In Use Switch can be in any position & batteries will get charged by Solar
After losing a battery this spring (Story below), I decided to mount a 100 watt Solar Panel & 30 amp Charge controller.
The solar panel voltage bypasses the Store / In Use Switch & is wired to the Solar controller & then to the Batteries.
Since the installation in June to the end of October I left the Switch in the Use position, and had no issues with the batteries, I even left some lights on some nights. Also no issues on 5 separate boondocking nights.
In the end of October when I winterized the motorhome, I put the switch to the store position. I have checked it daily and even on cloudy days the solar is keeping the batteries fully charged. The only time I'll have to plug into shore power is for snow.
When I changed the dead battery I also added a second battery, and Flow-Rite kit to add water to the batteries.

Here's my story for why I added a solar panel:
I always kept my prior Motorhomes plugged into shore power, So I did the same for my new Class C, 22E when I purchased it in August 2017. Where I had the unit plugged in I was having issues with the GFCI outlet. It would trip but always reset. As the weather got colder I wasn't checking it as often, Add some snow storms and my laziness & when I did check the battery it was dead, this happened a few times over the winter. I eventually switched to an outlet inside the garage, and replaced the GFCI outlet with a new one but it was too late to save the battery.
In the end the Solar panel gives me piece of mind that my batteries are always being maintained, I also don't have an electrical cable across my driveway.

Old 11-22-2018, 04:28 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Sounds like a great plan! Good idea.