Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2018, 02:01 AM   #41
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
bathroom storage

Click image for larger version

Name:	shelf for bathroom RV_.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	12124
Zenna Home 2130NN, Tension Corner Pole Caddy, Satin Nickel

bought it at Amazon...they have several choices

We installed this in the corner of our bathroom behind the toilet. The baskets are mounted on a tension rod. We wound up using 3 baskets due to toilet .
Serves us well.

Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:52 AM   #42

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
How did you go about adding the outlet? I could use another or so but never thought about doing it myself.
I got the power from the outlet buy the door, I cut the hole in the counter first and fished the wire across to the outlet by the door
Old 08-12-2018, 02:53 AM   #43

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
We did the same, but with a smaller rack hanging right on the added curtain bar. It's nice that the tension bar is able to sit on top of the shower-surround, keeping it from dropping down during travel. My sister's Leisure Travel Van class B+ can't use a bar in the shower, as the shower walls are tapered inwards going up. No matter what you do, short of permanently attaching, that bar will always inch down, and in her case, that meant hanging clothing plunging into the kitty litter box...

mine is a regular towel bar that screws to the wall...
Old 11-01-2018, 04:40 PM   #44

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Hey Vegas, I have a 2018 Windsport 29 m. The only mod I have found for the a/c is to cut the back of the cover out and replace with aluminum latte wire which removes most all of the restriction of hot air pushed out the back of the unit. Could you elaborate on your ac mod for me. What do I buy and from whom??? Thanks, Bob Trice
Old 12-22-2018, 11:10 PM   #45

THOR #12329
we traded this coach in on a new pacearrow diesel pusher...even though I knew I would hate it ,wife loved the idea...here's freight liners reply to my questions...my coach rides real ruff on bumpy roads, and best I get is 9mpg plus def...pulling my trailer... I can only go 40 mph up 6% grades..

freightliner...you don't have the coach loaded enough, need to load it to GVWR to get anykind of ride... but, if you want it to ride smooth, pick smoother roads to travel on...and if you want fuel to last longer... stay in the campground longer...

so I traded it in on a Winnebago intent...29l....I worked a solid 3 weeks on it...finally got it where we wanted , but … the little queen bed wasn't cutting it... some wizard decided to put the furnace right next to the headboard...every time the heater kicked on.... wide awake...and everytime I would finally dose off again... bam... heater back on... horrible , got about 5 mins sleep all night long...so the new quest... find a small coach, king bed, and 2 roof ac's...and a little better quality build...

nightmare on my street...I traded in my intent for a 29ds fr3... when it showed up.... holy moly,... what a pile...driver said she didn't think it was gonna make it to my house with out falling apart...so I refused delivery,.. all the dealer had was my 1000 credit card deposit,... but I knew they would take care of me....

so the hunt was on.... I'm about 3'' shorter from climbing in and out of rv's

so we were at a dealer, they had the 29m... and the 27b side by side... wife and I spent all day comparing the two...the big don't like was the fold up bed.... but it is king size, and you can fold it up in seconds with the bedding on....the mattress folds in the middle and doesn't come apart,, I tow an enclosed trailer, and the don't like of the 29 m was the big over hang... for me. the sitting in the 27b is way better and the tv is placed better... the 27b has a bigger dept side and it really opens up, wife likes the kitchen area better...

so in talking... we decided that the most time you are in the rv is sleeping,,,,the king bed is a must..the 27 b comes with an option to get 50 amp and 2 ac's.... but, the only one we found was 25k more and they wouldn't budge...so I have one coming tomorrow with one ac, my idea is this... if it's too hot out during the day... the 27b has a dividing wall in the center... we could just close off the back and open the roof vent back there... hopefully that will work,,,but,.. we use the coach most in the winter to off road the rzr's we have... so keeping warm is more of a concern...

I am wondering if thor per wired the vent for a second ac??? a 4 k will run the second ac with power shed... but, I would put the 5.5kw and add an 18,000 btu...
Old 12-22-2018, 11:31 PM   #46

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
All I can say is...”WOW”
What a thread to read
Very entertaining. Haha

‘17-Vegas 24.1
Old 12-22-2018, 11:37 PM   #47

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
All I can say is...”WOW”
What a thread to read
Very entertaining. Haha

‘17-Vegas 24.1
LOL, so we are sitting waiting for early Santa to bring our new coach tomorrow...
Old 12-23-2018, 02:56 AM   #48
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
... snip
I am wondering if thor per wired the vent for a second ac??? a 4 k will run the second ac with power shed... but, I would put the 5.5kw and add an 18,000 btu...
That is quite the story hopefully you finally found what you're looking for.

I'm guessing that no it isn't prewired for the 2nd A/C since ordering a 2nd A/C also means the coach is 50A instead of 30A--a lot more there than just wires for a 2nd A/C.

There are some folks on here who put a 2nd A/C through the rear hatch and wired it to a 2nd plug. The coach gets the 30 amp plug, and the 2nd A/C goes in the 15 or 20 amp plug in the pedestal. Still can only run one at a time via the genny, however.

Also discussions about replacing the original A/C with a more efficient model and adding a 2nd one (also the more efficient model)--since both should be able to run on 30 amps.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:00 PM   #49

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
we traded this coach in on a new pacearrow diesel pusher...even though I knew I would hate it ,wife loved the idea...here's freight liners reply to my questions...my coach rides real ruff on bumpy roads, and best I get is 9mpg plus def...pulling my trailer... I can only go 40 mph up 6% grades..

freightliner...you don't have the coach loaded enough, need to load it to GVWR to get anykind of ride... but, if you want it to ride smooth, pick smoother roads to travel on...and if you want fuel to last longer... stay in the campground longer...

so I traded it in on a Winnebago intent...29l....I worked a solid 3 weeks on it...finally got it where we wanted , but … the little queen bed wasn't cutting it... some wizard decided to put the furnace right next to the headboard...every time the heater kicked on.... wide awake...and everytime I would finally dose off again... bam... heater back on... horrible , got about 5 mins sleep all night long...so the new quest... find a small coach, king bed, and 2 roof ac's...and a little better quality build...

nightmare on my street...I traded in my intent for a 29ds fr3... when it showed up.... holy moly,... what a pile...driver said she didn't think it was gonna make it to my house with out falling apart...so I refused delivery,.. all the dealer had was my 1000 credit card deposit,... but I knew they would take care of me....

so the hunt was on.... I'm about 3'' shorter from climbing in and out of rv's

so we were at a dealer, they had the 29m... and the 27b side by side... wife and I spent all day comparing the two...the big don't like was the fold up bed.... but it is king size, and you can fold it up in seconds with the bedding on....the mattress folds in the middle and doesn't come apart,, I tow an enclosed trailer, and the don't like of the 29 m was the big over hang... for me. the sitting in the 27b is way better and the tv is placed better... the 27b has a bigger dept side and it really opens up, wife likes the kitchen area better...

so in talking... we decided that the most time you are in the rv is sleeping,,,,the king bed is a must..the 27 b comes with an option to get 50 amp and 2 ac's.... but, the only one we found was 25k more and they wouldn't budge...so I have one coming tomorrow with one ac, my idea is this... if it's too hot out during the day... the 27b has a dividing wall in the center... we could just close off the back and open the roof vent back there... hopefully that will work,,,but,.. we use the coach most in the winter to off road the rzr's we have... so keeping warm is more of a concern...

F-liner really had some good advice...SNL skit?
GOod luck with your present one....we have the ACE 27.2 and a foldup king. Wife would rather not have a foldup bed but who sleeps back there on the road without the slide extended anyway. We have found from using our in 95 degree heat and not cover that the 1 air condx will work...it runs a lot but will keep it cooled to something just shy of 80 which is fine for us. You're right about the sliding door....if you're not sleeping, pull it shut...we do that on the ACE and it does help a good bit. Have fun.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:49 PM   #50

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Also look for several posts from me and from others last summer. We touched based on AC mods and cooling tips extensively.

The general idea is to Keeping the heat out (by tinting all windows with cermaic tint that is NOT dark at all but reduces heat tremendously) and using the reflective bubbles in the windows facing the sun (or all) will help.

Plus look at the AC insulation mods and increasing air flow mods posted.

With all of the mods I find my one AC unit (15000 Coleman mach) does a good job at keeping us cool. My RV is 27 foot so your RV only one foot 9 inches longer than mine.

Also you need to be proactive by parking the shade as much as possible, have your front windsheild (when possible) facing away from the sun and start the AC unit up before its gets hot in the RV.

It takes a while to cool down a hot RV (all of the walls and interior furniture etc has to cool down as well).

I turn mine on once its gets in the upper 70's.

Hopefully you have finally found the right RV for you.

If the Axis or Vegas didnt exist this would have been the RV I looked at next (Love the floor plan and size).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:40 PM   #51

THOR #12329
well the new coach hurricane 27b is here,... not with out issues though..

so I will end this thread as we no longer have a 24.1, and start the new thread about the 27b...enjoy, and merry Christmas and to all a good morning....
Old 12-24-2018, 03:09 PM   #52

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Good luck with the new coach. Merry and Happy
Old 12-24-2018, 05:21 PM   #53

THOR #12231
Congrats on the new coach. I love this size RV.

I would not "End this tread". Others might read it (and learn from it) and have question that others like me can answer down the road.

Plus you might sill have answers for folks with a Vegas/Axis down the road.

Are you going to change your "handle" name now?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 12-24-2018, 06:08 PM   #54
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
WOW! You've probably taken enough hits on trading that you could buy a whole new coach with that money.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:02 AM   #55

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
WOW! You've probably taken enough hits on trading that you could buy a whole new coach with that money.
LOL... traded the 27b for a hurricane 29m....with 2 ac's and a king bed..now I have to move the tv...
Old 02-05-2019, 05:49 PM   #56

THOR #12231
What, already traded it in? How long was that? One month or two?

I hope you like this one.... the Two AC will be awesome. I like that floor plan too.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:43 PM   #57

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
What, already traded it in? How long was that? One month or two?

I hope you like this one.... the Two AC will be awesome. I like that floor plan too.
the reason we went to the 27 b was tv location...but the trade off was the super small bath room, and the fold up bed....that part proved hard for my wife as we started with a 400 hp alpine DP,...I think the shower in the alpine was bigger than the whole bath in the 27b....I liked the vegas…. but still think they should have put the bigger 3 valve motor.... going up hill in the summer with ac on really made it struggle
Old 02-05-2019, 11:09 PM   #58
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
the reason we went to the 27 b was tv location...but the trade off was the super small bath room, and the fold up bed....that part proved hard for my wife as we started with a 400 hp alpine DP,...I think the shower in the alpine was bigger than the whole bath in the 27b....I liked the vegas…. but still think they should have put the bigger 3 valve motor.... going up hill in the summer with ac on really made it struggle
3-Valve motor is too large to fit in the E-Series chassis (If I remember correctly there was also a heat issue so Ford never put the 3-valve V-10 in any of the vans).

We've been up some pretty steep grades with our Axis pulling a car with the A/C blaring and it hasn't really struggled at all. You just have to let the V-10 sing away (and keep your eye on the gas gauge ! LOL).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:27 PM   #59

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
3-Valve motor is too large to fit in the E-Series chassis (If I remember correctly there was also a heat issue so Ford never put the 3-valve V-10 in any of the vans).

We've been up some pretty steep grades with our Axis pulling a car with the A/C blaring and it hasn't really struggled at all. You just have to let the V-10 sing away (and keep your eye on the gas gauge ! LOL).
it'll fit in the vegas chassis...I was pulling a loaded triple axel trailer..
Old 07-22-2020, 05:51 AM   #60

Model: Axis 25.6
State: Texas
THOR #19026
Quote:
So after loading the coach, full water fuel, and propane,... I ent out to the scales...steer axel... 4480 LBS drive axel... 6920 lbs gross 11,400

I then went back and got the trailer, loaded ,2 rzr 1000's fuel , bbq, fire wood, tool boxes and such..
then back to the scales..
steer axel … 4280 lbs drive axel...7920 lbs 7060 trailer...gross...19,260 lbs..so about 2780 under weight
I really like your AC mods. I'll try them and I'm going to reposition the temperature cap tube. Ours doesn't get below 83 deg on a 93 deg day in partial shade with Reflectix on the windshield.

What was your solution to the tongue weight problem? I have an Axis 25.6 with similar problems.
We need to tow a Lexus SC430 on a trailer.
3840 lb curb weight
15 feet long
6 feet wide
Our Ford E450 chassis Thor Axis 25.6 that is 26.5' long has a 8000 lb tow capability but only 500 lb tongue capacity. I can imagine the real figure is even lower because of the extended frame by Thor.
I am concerned about my tongue weight problem. It is probably going to be around 750 lbs. You must know a way around this problem? Can you recommend a trailer or at least a trailer company? We live in Texas. We will probably have to to drive it this fall to Thor in Elkhart to to get the rv slide replaced and hope to find a trailer and solve the tongue weight problem on the way back if not before.
BTW, did you get Ford or Thor to level your coach? Mine sits 3" low in the front. I am in the process of building my front spring spacers and alignment equipment. Can't find anyone within 150 mile radius of DFW, Texas that will do it. They can but won't because it is a "God awful motorhome" and not an 18 wheeler.