Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2019, 10:01 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
Step Cover revisited

A fairly long time ago there were some post of folks who made covers to go over the exit steps. If I remember there were 3 or 4 different was they went about this. Any way my DW is thinking about wanting the stair covered.

My question to the folks that have done this. Do you still use the cover? Have you discovered that its more of a pain than its worth? If you where to redo the cover what would you do different?

Old 06-02-2019, 11:18 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
I'm one of the ones that made one and featured it here. Although a great idea at the time, it hit the dumpster after a few uses. It just gets in the way and then you have to find a place to store it after you arrive at your destination.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:12 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I was on the fence about this one as well. I was going to make my own but never did. I love the idea of it but then I think it would just be in my way half the time and not a real good place to store im my small RV. I decided if you have pets or perhaps small children it might be worth it?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:58 AM   #4

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
We use our cover only on long trips of 2 days or more and include boondocking. (rest areas and walmarts etc..). if we have the step cover down then we use the van doors to enter and exit.
When we stop at campgrounds or final destination (friend or family house) then we slide it behind the drivers seat to store it.
If all our trips were local or within 1 days drive then we would probably never use it.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:09 AM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
My wife cannot reach the control panel above the steps on the ACE. (She is under 5') We have been considering making a step cover so she can access the panel with the folding step stool she uses to get to the overhead cabinets. I have been on the fence about the need for it as I can access it but that has not sold so well with the DW as she wants to be able to get at the genny, H2O pump and HWH on her own. Her point is what if I'm not around when she wants to start the genny, the panel is in a stupid spot. Which it is. (Cost savings for Thor?) Guess I'll be making something as well.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:10 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
My wife cannot reach the control panel above the steps on the ACE. (She is under 5') We have been considering making a step cover so she can access the panel with the folding step stool she uses to get to the overhead cabinets. I have been on the fence about the need for it as I can access it but that has not sold so well with the DW as she wants to be able to get at the genny, H2O pump and HWH on her own. Her point is what if I'm not around when she wants to start the genny, the panel is in a stupid spot. Which it is. (Cost savings for Thor?) Guess I'll be making something as well.
Yeah my wife is vertically challenged as well.

But she dont like to mess with anything.... she makes me do it all. I told her the other day I need to show her how to start the Genset (prime it first etc) but she blew it off. One of these days she will be in the RV and I will out riding my Mtn bike and she will wondering how in the heck to start it. LOL.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote